Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Would Evinrude survived? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-15-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Would Evinrude survived?

Would they have survived if they put their money in 4 strokes? I vote yes.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 03:04 PM
Keeper

Doubtful. There was too much bad publicity from the Ficht and the people who had problematic E-TECS. I owned three different E-TEC motors and had zero problems with them. I still keep in contact with the guy who bought my last Lund. He continues to use it with no issues. Seems to me that when a product gest a bad review, people tend to believe the "BAD" about it rather than the "GOOD". That's just human nature. Just sad what happened. It was nice to have the option
available, for two stroke or four stroke. Except for one 25 HP Mercury, I've always had an Evinrude or Johnson. The Merc was another story. I sold that boat and moved on, without bad mouthing Mercury. I still believe all outboards made today are good. But, there will always be a bad one from time to time. Just too bad the Evinrude name had to die.
Jim
Old 06-15-2021, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

I think they absolutely would have survived if the 4 strokes were good quality. I personally don't see a lot of die hard loyalty to outboard brands. Not on the level of Ford/Chevy anyway. Price and dependability I think are most important to people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
YES!! especially if they innovated with those motors as they did with the 2 stroke.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Evinrude was a victim of marketing and BRP is run by accountants, not engineers. But Evinrudes themselves survive just fine. I got a 1959 Evinrude Lark III. Runs perfect and it's a two-stroke. I'm looking for a 50's Classic Craft mahogany runabout for it that's in restorable condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_203941.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	327190  
Old 06-16-2021, 06:05 AM
Keeper

The thing is the Evinrude G2 was leaps and bounds ahead of all other 2 stroke outboards ( as well as 4 strokes in my opinion). It would be hard to put that much gap in 4 stroke technology since all manufacturers are doing similar things.

That being said. Evinrude is not dead, and will hopefully soon be realeasing a new propulsion system to the market. My guess is that one of them will be a Rotax 3 cylinder 4 stroke which already is proven to make 500hp. They will likely also have a 2 stroke 3 cylinder ETEC version as well as a electric version.

Last edited by BLADE BAIT; 06-16-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:22 AM
Slot Fish

Rude screwed up big time by putting all their eggs in one basket.Obviously 4 stroke is the wave of the future, heck even Mercury went all out and are doing great. Trying to make a 2 stroke run without hardly any oil was a disaster, that's why most grenade at x amount of hours.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:54 AM
Keeper

I feel the Merc Optimax 2 stroke was a better motor that the E-tech. You never really seen an Evinrude commercial comparing the two. But everything is moving or moved to 4 stroke and if you weren't keeping up with what the customer wanted, your dead on the roadside.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 PM
Minnow

I have owned two Evinrudes and have been really happy with the outboards. public opinion was against two stroke didn't matter how good they were. My guess is they took the Covid funds to retool to 4 stroke turbo
Old 06-16-2021, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

I believe they would have survived if they had gone to 4 strokes. I owned several Evinrudes over the years with mixed results:
one 7.5 hp, 2-15 hp, one V-4 140 cross flow- all of these were superb engines.

one oddfire V-6 175 and one V-6 looper 225- both ran well for about 2 years and then both
developed ignition and electrical issues that neither my dealer or me could trace down. The 175 lost a
cylinder and was traded in as a 5 cylinder, the 225 ran on all six but the new owner put a rod thru the
block after 25 hours run time.

These last 2 engines convinced me to go back to Merc- and my dealer also switched because of so many Evinrudes with problems. One Opti 150(ten years with zero issues) and one 150 4S( seven years with zero issues) convinced me that I made the best choice.
Doug