Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger Trailer - Boat eye not centering - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger Trailer - Boat eye not centering

I have a new to me 2019 Ranger Angler single axle trailer. When loading the bow eye comes in off center to the starboard side - almost to outside of the center eye roller. I've tried loading it at a variety of depths but get the same outcome. Wondering what to check next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

don't know if it'll help your problem but when my boat starts in off-center I stop cranking and give the winch a little slack then move the rope over to the other side of the winch then start winching again. I hold the rope over to the other side as best I can as I winch the boat up. this usually centers the boat for me.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Shore lunch.

Drive your trailer in deep enough so that your boat will float up all of the way to the bow stop.

When, the boat gets to the bow stop, reach over, hook up the winch strap, give the winch a 1/2 turn to make it tight and tow the loaded boat out of the water.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Also, the next time you have your boat in the water, use your tape measure to measure every one of your boat supports - whether they are bunk or roller and insure that everything is square and plumb. Normally, if the hull supports are in place, level and properly adjusted the boat will load squarely every time.

Best wishes.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorelunch View Post
I have a new to me 2019 Ranger Angler single axle trailer. When loading the bow eye comes in off center to the starboard side - almost to outside of the center eye roller. I've tried loading it at a variety of depths but get the same outcome. Wondering what to check next?
Does the boat sit level side to side on the water or does it list to one side? If it is listing to one side, this may create an issue when loading. A slight list can be corrected during the loading process just by the driver repositioning his body weight as he drives the boat onto the trailer.

Sometimes standing directly over the centerline of the boat rather than sitting at the helm (when loading) will also give one a better perspective of boat alignment in relation to the trailer.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

as rew stated you can measure your front bunks or rollers to make sure they are even. if they check out good measure the backs and make sure they are even. you might check to make sure they are the same distance from the sides of the frame. just a 1/4" can cause the problem you describe. good luck.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Hunting raises a very good point to be sure that the boat is sitting level as it approaches the trailer.

If I am the only person in my boat when loading, I am always in the middle of my boat to insure that the boat is sitting level.

I have both rollers on the keel and bunks on the side on my trailer. A couple of years ago, I replaced all of my rollers with Stolz 12 inch wide self centering rollers on the keel. That way, if the boat ever gets going sideways, the self centering rollers will move the keel back in good alignment with the trailer and have the coat center correctly.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/stolt...oller--7737620

Take care
Old 06-17-2021, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

Lots of good information above. You didn't note the kind of trailer (bunk, roller, combo, etc.). I found on my roller that each front-to-back set (starboard and port) have to be exactly the same distance out from the mid-line. Even 1/4" off can produce off-center loading. Ditto on height, if they are height adjustable.
No matter the conditions, I always previously loaded crooked. Now, even if the trailer in the water has a bit of a right/left tip due to unlevel ramp bottom, I almost always load straight. If I don't, it its due to a combination of wind/current and being a bit too deep in the water for the rear rollers.
I also take it slow - rarely power load. I pull it in with a bow rope until it just starts hitting the rollers. Then wade out and attach the winch strap, and crank her up. Perhaps a pause early on to let it settle into the rollers. If I do power load, same idea - just get it partially onto the trailer, and give it a moment to settle into the rollers, before continuing on up the hill.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the replies. Boat sits pretty level, so I'll measure the bunk height and width this weekend.