Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Extending depth finder/graph cords - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Minnow

Default Extending depth finder/graph cords

Has anyone ever made a sort of "umbilical cord" for their Lowrance? I mean, can the wires be extended long enough to be able to move the unit from the dash to the back of the boat or the front of the boat?

I'm not sure how much "extra" cord I have under my dash rolled up but I'm guessing it's not enough to stretch that far.

My thought is to make the cords longer so I could mount the screen at the back or front of the boat in addition to the dash rather than buying another unit. I've got a 520 C so it's hard to see the screen if I'm not behind the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Wallhanger

The power cable should be easy to extend, all you need is red and black wires between the Lowrance power cable and your power supply. Or you could purchase another power cable and wire it in at the other location where you want to use the graph.

The transducer might be a little trickier, but if you don't have enough excess cable you can purchase a transducer extension cable.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Minnow

So, would I be splicing into the current wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

If you are lengthening your power cable you are probably going to have to splice additional lengths of red and black wires to the power supply-end of the power cable --- don't splice in the unit-end of the power cable where the plug is to connect to the back of the unit.

Don't splice into the transducer cable. If you have to lengthen that get the extension cables - they come with plugs on each end and you simply connect them.

Here's a suggestion for what may be the simplest way to go, depending on your boat. Get an extra power cable and locate it at the front of the boat where you want to put your unit, and connect the new power cable to the power supply. Then it is always there and ready for you. Also, get a transducer extension cable. When you move your unit to the front, connect the extension cable to the unit and to the transducer cable at the current location of your unit. You'd only use the extension cable when the unit was in the front location, and you would stash it somewhere in the boat when the unit is in its current location.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Minnow

Thanks Hondo. Makes sense.

I looked at the Lowrance website and I see the transducer extension cable and power cables.

I didn't see a GPS extension cable - unless I missed it. Any idea about the GPS cable? There is one, right? I mean, I have three cables that plug into the back of the unit.

I have a 520C.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Wallhanger

A regular NMEA network cable will work to extend the gps antenna cable.