Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle: Crawler Harness - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 12-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Robusto View Post
I usually start with the old faithfuls that have proven themselves over the last few seasons. I'll make sure to have a few blades out with different colored backs. If I know I'm over fish, but can't get anything going, I'll start throwing out some different sizes and shaped blades (choppers, hatchets, indianas, single willows, ect).
Nice now do you need to change speeds with different shape blade?I'm thinking water resistance will be different on the different size and shape blades?

FC
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

All the above blades work well at the same speeds, but 'blowout' at slightly above 2 mph, with the exception of the willow blades, which handle higher speeds. I always start the day (if I'm fishing new water, or water I haven't previously fished), at about 1.1-1.3 mph, and increase it slightly until I find what they like, and start hitting fish.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Keeper

X2 on HR's post- Big colorado blades have more water resistance and seem to ride higher at equivalent speed/line length than willow blades

Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Now the question I have is do you change the size as per the water clarity?
Or is clarity and color the deciding point?

FC
Old 12-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
What knot are you using?

FC
FC- For the snells: unsure of specific name, it's a fairly basic snell knot wrapped @ 7 x's, done carefully and tightened well. Before tying the last hook I always make sure it is oriented on the same plane as the first hook, so as to avoid the hooks being skewed. The blade size I use is dictated more by the size of the forage the fish are keying on. If the water is significantly dingy, I might opt for a colorado style blade, as they seem to 'thump' a bit more than a willow blade, thus utilizing those "good vibrations" to call 'em in. I might even try the 'Ventilator' style blade made by J.B. Lures of Winthrop, MN., next season.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Minnow

I've done a ton of R&D experimenting with different lines and determined Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 15 lb as the best performing for me. I doesn't twist, provides excellent hoookups and is the most durable line I've found. I used many of the same rigs all summer and caught countless fish on them. This is the line we tie all our harnesses and snells with. We haven't had a single break yet. Usually they occur in the net on a big fish when the hooks get caught, but hasn't been an issue with this line.

As for hooks, I use Gamakatsu Octopus in size 4 for rigs that will use a #3 or #4 blade and size 2 hooks for rigs that will use a #5 or #6 blade.

Hope that helps!

Shawn Flemming

Last edited by Golden; 12-27-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: removed advertising - please read the site rules since you are a new poster. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Tackle View Post
I've done a ton of R&D experimenting with different lines and determined Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 15 lb as the best performing for me. I doesn't twist, provides excellent hoookups and is the most durable line I've found. I used many of the same rigs all summer and caught countless fish on them. This is the line we tie all our harnesses and snells with. We haven't had a single break yet. Usually they occur in the net on a big fish when the hooks get caught, but hasn't been an issue with this line.

As for hooks, I use Gamakatsu Octopus in size 4 for rigs that will use a #3 or #4 blade and size 2 hooks for rigs that will use a #5 or #6 blade.

Hope that helps!

Shawn Flemming

NICE!!!!!

I love the seaguar product!!!!

As far as hooks Gami's are my favorite I really dig the red ones!!Matchin up hook to blade size is an awesome bit of advice!Thank You!!!!

I was thinking I'd ask everyone who is tying if you voted on clevis type what would you be a metal or a plastic quick change?

FC

Last edited by Juls; 12-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Keeper

Has anyone here made a crawler harness that has the spinnner blades installed a good length away from the hooks? I mean that there is about 20 inches of leader material between the beads and blades and the 2 or 3 bait hooks.

The reason that I am asking this is because I get a lot of crawler harnesses from buddies that are made the normal way so when I make my own, I add some distance between the attractors and the bait.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
Has anyone here made a crawler harness that has the spinnner blades installed a good length away from the hooks? I mean that there is about 20 inches of leader material between the beads and blades and the 2 or 3 bait hooks.

The reason that I am asking this is because I get a lot of crawler harnesses from buddies that are made the normal way so when I make my own, I add some distance between the attractors and the bait.

How has this worked for you??This is a very interesting question I am looking forward to hearing if anyone has done this in the past.

Thanks DB!!!
FC

Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Picking up line and some clevises today gonna tie some up this week!I'm psyched!!!!!Gonna use 12lb mono XT,15lb flouro,and some of that cajun red line.

Quick question bead size?I guess you want the bead size to match the blade size?Do people use different sizes on the same rig?

FC