Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Correct Prop for Lund Tyee - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Minnow

Default Correct Prop for Lund Tyee

I have a 1998 Lund Tyee 1950 (19.5') aluminum console boat deep v. I fish at higher altitude of between 6500 and 8800 feet. I have a 2014 Mercury Optimax Pro XS 200 HP engine with 52 hours on it. I am getting poor performance on the top end out of this boat. I have plenty of hole shot, midrange acceleration, but the last inch or inch and a half of throttle does nothing but suck extra fuel. I max out at 43 mph at 5150 RPMS trimmed all the way out. I am using a Mercury Mirage Plus in 19" pitch. I tried a Mercury Vengence 17" prop and the boat was even slower at only 39 mph but with higher rpms. The hull is clean and slick, the boat weighs about 3000 pounds with everything and everyone in it for normal use. The anticavitation plate or whatever they call it is about 1" about the bottom of the boat. It is mounted on hole #3. I get very bad blowout quite easily in most moderate turns.

I need help! I hear Propman is good at this or I will take any advice. I was thinking of trying a four blade prop to reduce the nearly 20% prop slip I calculated. I just don't know where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maag.troy View Post
I have a 1998 Lund Tyee 1950 (19.5') aluminum console boat deep v. I fish at higher altitude of between 6500 and 8800 feet. I have a 2014 Mercury Optimax Pro XS 200 HP engine with 52 hours on it. I am getting poor performance on the top end out of this boat. I have plenty of hole shot, midrange acceleration, but the last inch or inch and a half of throttle does nothing but suck extra fuel. I max out at 43 mph at 5150 RPMS trimmed all the way out. I am using a Mercury Mirage Plus in 19" pitch. I tried a Mercury Vengence 17" prop and the boat was even slower at only 39 mph but with higher rpms. The hull is clean and slick, the boat weighs about 3000 pounds with everything and everyone in it for normal use. The anticavitation plate or whatever they call it is about 1" about the bottom of the boat. It is mounted on hole #3. I get very bad blowout quite easily in most moderate turns.

I need help! I hear Propman is good at this or I will take any advice. I was thinking of trying a four blade prop to reduce the nearly 20% prop slip I calculated. I just don't know where to start.
Your main problem. It is lack of air.
I'll try and explain-

I sold a lot of 1950 Tyees back in the day. My dealership was at nearly 4000 ft. and we sold boats to people using them much higher (Yellowstone, Jackson, Flaming Gorge, etc) You lose 3% of your hp per 1000 ft of elevation rise.
A quick calculation shows that leaves you with 20-26 hp less than at sea level. The normal prop for your combination in say, Minnesota, or a similar elevation would be a 19 pitch. But, not at your elevation.
At your elevation, all one can do is get the rpms right so the engine doesn't lug. Unless you have a super charged outboard will never get the speed the boat is capable of like you will at low elevation. So don't get your expectations up for high 40mph speeds up there in the thin air.

Your ProXS is designed to run best at 5600-6000rpm.
In order for you to get those rpms, you will have to drop to a 16p or even possibly a 15p.

A good prop shop should be able to come up with a good compromise prop for you and your altitude.

Last edited by T Mac; 04-27-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Minnow

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It sounds like you have extensive experience with Lund boats. I fish Flaming Gorge and Fish Lake. Both are above 6000 feet. I don't expect to go 55 MPH and I do understand a lack of oxygen at that altitude. I just know I have the wrong propeller at 19 Pitch. I am not sure where to start. I hate to dump hundreds of dollars into the wrong propeller. I have looked up a couple of prop shops locally in the SLC area. I will contact them as well. Just looking for some ideas to start a conversation with them. I know I can get another 5 mph out of this thing.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maag.troy View Post
I need help! I hear Propman is good at this or I will take any advice.
Propman is in central MN so it's difficult to say whether he deals with situations like yours frequently. If you want his contact info send me a message. I'm not sure if he is very active on the forum anymore.

T-mac is in a unique position to provide good advice in this situation. I would put a lot of faith in the accuracy of his statements.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Minnow

That makes sense where Minnesota is such a difference in altitude. I bought the boat with the Optimax already on it. I would have gone with the supercharged Verado to fight motor altitude sickness, but that is not an option in this case. So to focus on what I am really asking: Would I be better off with a 4 or 5 blade prop where I am getting blowout problems when I pitch down to 17 or lower? What props lines are a good starting point for a 200 HP? I read where Black Max and Spitfire are for smaller boats and engines than mine on the Mercury website. I have been looking at the Trophy plus and High Five. It looks like the lowest pitch you can buy them in is 17" which may be ok based on the prop selector on Mercury's website factoring in the altitude. I just don't want to throw $600 at a prop that is not any better. So any suggestions would be appreciated.