Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gas Money - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Minnow

Default Gas Money

At a recent FLW Walleye League event during the rules meeting the tournament director stated that it is appropriate for the co-angler to contribute gas money to the boater. That is the first official endorsement from a tournament organization that I have heard of what has been an expected practice all along.

I am all for helping out and have always done this with the exception of my first tournament. (I was ignorant to this practice at the time) There has been past debate on this topic as to whether it should be done or not. That is not my intention for this post. My point is why not make this more black and white? Where is the consistency from tournament to tournament? If it is appropriate then how much is enough? It is not the co's decision to run 150 miles.

Tournament organizations are usually very clear about rules and what can and can not be done regarding the co/boater relationship. Why would they all of the sudden make statements about contributing gas money? Should this be written in the rules?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Minnow

Default Gas Money

At a recent FLW Walleye League event during the rules meeting the tournament director stated that it is appropriate for the co-angler to contribute gas money to the boater. That is the first official endorsement from a tournament organization that I have heard of what has been an expected practice all along.

I am all for helping out and have always done this with the exception of my first tournament. (I was ignorant to this practice at the time) There has been past debate on this topic as to whether it should be done or not. That is not my intention for this post. My point is why not make this more black and white? Where is the consistency from tournament to tournament? If it is appropriate then how much is enough? It is not the co's decision to run 150 miles.

Tournament organizations are usually very clear about rules and what can and can not be done regarding the co/boater relationship. Why would they all of the sudden make statements about contributing gas money? Should this be written in the rules?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Minnow

Default RE: Gas Money

One option would be to increase the co-angler fee by a certain amount. For discussion say $25 for a one day, $50 for a 2 day, etc.. That money would then be ear-marked for a gas card(s) which is issued to the boater at the rules meeting. There, cut and dried. Offer a sponsorship for the gas card. Other than that, I am not sure an amount can be mandated. I thought/think that some states have specific rules/laws regarding payment for angling services(not sure maybe I had a dream about that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Minnow

One option would be to increase the co-angler fee by a certain amount. For discussion say $25 for a one day, $50 for a 2 day, etc.. That money would then be ear-marked for a gas card(s) which is issued to the boater at the rules meeting. There, cut and dried. Offer a sponsorship for the gas card. Other than that, I am not sure an amount can be mandated. I thought/think that some states have specific rules/laws regarding payment for angling services(not sure maybe I had a dream about that).
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

I'll throw in my .02....

Speaking as a former co, and now a boater, I would think it is more appropriate to determine an amount (if any) based on performance (where you placed), not the number of miles travelled, or even "effort". I am very grateful for any money from my co's, but certainly don't expect it.

I think it is a bad idea to make anything mandatory.

Dave S
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

I'll throw in my .02....

Speaking as a former co, and now a boater, I would think it is more appropriate to determine an amount (if any) based on performance (where you placed), not the number of miles travelled, or even "effort". I am very grateful for any money from my co's, but certainly don't expect it.

I think it is a bad idea to make anything mandatory.

Dave S
Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
profish2

hey guys,
i have been tipped huge amounts and some not so huge amounts...but, i have to tell you the guy that contributes nothing is a slug. my classic story is the guy that told me all day how much money he has and how he can fish anywhere he wants with his deep pockets and at the end of the day he said thanks for the great day. one of the better days of walleye fishing he ever had - then he exits the boat with all his cash. hehe that was kind of funny. he must have needed it more than me. tipping is discretionary; although it should be done as a token of appreciation. by the way, a generous co-angler will find more opportunities to fish with pros in the future...prefishing, etc...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
profish2

hey guys,
i have been tipped huge amounts and some not so huge amounts...but, i have to tell you the guy that contributes nothing is a slug. my classic story is the guy that told me all day how much money he has and how he can fish anywhere he wants with his deep pockets and at the end of the day he said thanks for the great day. one of the better days of walleye fishing he ever had - then he exits the boat with all his cash. hehe that was kind of funny. he must have needed it more than me. tipping is discretionary; although it should be done as a token of appreciation. by the way, a generous co-angler will find more opportunities to fish with pros in the future...prefishing, etc...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

>hey guys,
>i have been tipped huge amounts and some not so huge
>amounts...but, i have to tell you the guy that contributes
>nothing is a slug. my classic story is the guy that told me
>all day how much money he has and how he can fish anywhere he
>wants with his deep pockets and at the end of the day he said
>thanks for the great day. one of the better days of walleye
>fishing he ever had - then he exits the boat with all his
>cash. hehe that was kind of funny. he must have needed it