Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Simons Motorsports - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

That page is over a year old, are they starting to try to enforce it now?

Sounds ridiculous, after i take ownership of anything I should be allowed to do with it as i please.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Keeper

I was told I was the first Simon customer who bought a v8 tune. Guess I won’t be bringing the motor in for warranty work! Sucks that I paid for the cable etc and was promised that I could swap between stock and mod without issue and now I’m sol. I’ve got 150 hours tuned without issue and if it did grenade I’d buy a new powerhead and do the same again.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Wallhanger

Well if the tune increases the emissions of the outboard. Then it is against the law. I think mercury keeps some sort of patent or rights to their software. Plus from Mercury’s side. What do they gain by having someone else increase the hp of their engines. I think they would rather sell more 250 outboards. Then selling 200s that people modify to get to 250. It might have to do with a max hp of 200 on a boat. That people do not want to put something that says 250 on the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
It might have to do with a max hp of 200 on a boat. That people do not want to put something that says 250 on the hood.
Now you’re getting it! Simon told me for the most part these are simply mercury tunes. They listed a 325hp tune that obviously is not a merc tune unless it is from the 300r?? I went from 20p to 24p and it gets better fuel mileage than it did when it was stock even at wide open. A little chine walk when empty on gas but other than that it’s perfect.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Well if the tune increases the emissions of the outboard. Then it is against the law. I think mercury keeps some sort of patent or rights to their software. Plus from Mercury’s side. What do they gain by having someone else increase the hp of their engines. I think they would rather sell more 250 outboards. Then selling 200s that people modify to get to 250. It might have to do with a max hp of 200 on a boat. That people do not want to put something that says 250 on the hood.

Who cares what mercury gains, they already sold you a motor, they have their money. Haven't you ever had an older hotrod that you added a manifold or Holley carb or cam too? Is that illegal? Did chevy go crazy and tell the ten of millions of people that modified their engines to stop doing it?? Of course not, it's absurd.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-17-2020, 02:02 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
That page is over a year old, are they starting to try to enforce it now?

Sounds ridiculous, after i take ownership of anything I should be allowed to do with it as i please.
All the shops stopped tuning the beginning of June apparently. I really wished I would of did mine in April now, instead of waiting for the snow to melt!
Old 06-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Itrain what are you talking about. I never had hot rods or modified engines. My first car was a used Pontiac sunbird. I bought that in 1987. The year I graduated high school. No I did not add performance parts to my 4 cylinder stick shift little car. Next car Chevy beretta. Then mostly SUVs after that. The other thing is. It would not surprise me. If somewhere in the fine print when you buy a new outboard. It might say something about not modifying the computer.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
I was told I was the first Simon customer who bought a v8 tune. Guess I won’t be bringing the motor in for warranty work! Sucks that I paid for the cable etc and was promised that I could swap between stock and mod without issue and now I’m sol. I’ve got 150 hours tuned without issue and if it did grenade I’d buy a new powerhead and do the same again.
Out of curiosity, if you did need warranty work on the lower unit or midsection, would your dealer rat you out, if they plugged-in and determined that the ECU had been modified?

HRG
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM
Wallhanger

Still seems odd. When compared to other motorsports, why does mercury care what the end user does? Not that I care or am a user of an aftermarket tunes, but it’s kinda bull ****. If the concern is warranty, then lock the ecu down so leaves a footprint if it’s been modified, the car manufacturers do it so I know it’s possible. My guess it’s more to do with making $$$$$$$ off fthe same engine with nothing more than a programing. They’ve been doing it for years and it’s horse ****. They sell a 300 for $28k and a 200 for $20k And the only difference is programming and now they want to throw their sucker in the dirt because a few “tuners” figured out the secret sauce. Sounds like a typical Brunswick move. Kinda like wood transoms in their boats they wouldn’t stand behind 🙄. I love my Merc engines and have always been a supporter but this is BS and they know it. Strong arm the little guy because they can. Wonder how it would actually hold up in court if they put a label on it “for race use only”. Kinda like the auto guys do for “off road use only”?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Itrain what are you talking about. I never had hot rods or modified engines. My first car was a used Pontiac sunbird. I bought that in 1987. The year I graduated high school. No I did not add performance parts to my 4 cylinder stick shift little car. Next car Chevy beretta. Then mostly SUVs after that. The other thing is. It would not surprise me. If somewhere in the fine print when you buy a new outboard. It might say something about not modifying the computer.
Well you missed out on some great American muscle, figured most guys had at least one fast car in their past. Well even if you didn't I'm sure you know someone or heard of someone modding car engines so the message is the same. It's yours- after Mercury sells it their involvement should be warranty only. If they don't want to warranty modded engines then don't, it should be up to end user.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs