Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund 219 gl storage box leaks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Keeper

Default Lund 219 gl storage box leaks

I have a 2017 Lund 219 GL. I love the boat. The only issue I have is that the 2 removable storage boxes in the stern on either side leak. I just returned from a week in Canada and it pretty much rained all week. I had to bail the storage boxes daily and obviously I couldn't keep anything in them that couldn't get wet. I believe these were supposed to be water tight but they're not. It looks like the water might be coming in in the rear of the boxes where there seems to be a caulked seam at the top of the box. Has anyone else had this problem and can recommend a fix. I've got a call into my dealer and he is looking into it for me too.Thanks,
Milfish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Milfish,
Take a video camera with a light on it and put it in the storage box and aim it at the rear portion of the box.

Then, use a garden hose to flood the top of the storage box with water.

Check the result of the video and find where the leak is in the box. \\

Then, with the source identified, implement a fix to repair the leak.

Take care

p.s.

I did the same thing with a car that I had that had water in the trunk.
I got inside the trunk and with a flashlight, checked the entire perimeter of the trunk while water was being sprayed on the perimeter of the trunk. As it turned out, there was no leak in the trunk. We figured that it had likely came from a cooler that had ice in it and the drain plug had become dislodged so that the water from the cooler had drained into the trunk, causing the issue.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Milfish,
Take a video camera with a light on it and put it in the storage box and aim it at the rear portion of the box.

Then, use a garden hose to flood the top of the storage box with water.

Check the result of the video and find where the leak is in the box. \\

Then, with the source identified, implement a fix to repair the leak.

Take care

p.s.

I did the same thing with a car that I had that had water in the trunk.
I got inside the trunk and with a flashlight, checked the entire perimeter of the trunk while water was being sprayed on the perimeter of the trunk. As it turned out, there was no leak in the trunk. We figured that it had likely came from a cooler that had ice in it and the drain plug had become dislodged so that the water from the cooler had drained into the trunk, causing the issue.
Put your camera in a zip lock ! Did you call lund?
15 Talon
Ultera
Humminbird Helix X 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Keeper

I did call my dealer and they said that Lund doesn't represent any of their storage compartments waterproof or even dry storage. I've dried out the boxes and I'm going to get some good quality silicone caulk and caulk the few spots I think it might be coming in.. Funny, the other compartments were virtually 99% dry, just the two removable boxes got wet.
I will update after the next trip i the rain.
Milfish
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Slot Fish

I have the same boat and had the same problem. A friend of mine fixed his by taking the lids and hinges off. Run a bead of silicone underneath the hinges making sure all screw holes are covered. When you put the hinge back on make sure it is also sealed around all the edges. Mine hasn’t leaked since. Also make sure your lid is tight when closed.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Keeper

Thanks I will do this too. I also plan on caulking around the handles as it seemed wet around the bottom of them.