Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fires in Red Lake area - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Minnow

Default Fires in Red Lake area

Hey guys- Just a heads up that there are some serious fires in Red Lake. Several camps and First Nations communities had to be evacuated. There is currently a 100,000 acre fire burning about 55 miles NW of Red with several others in the vicinity.

This is a pretty cool website that shows where fires are currently;

https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires

I've got a big group headed up in 2 weeks and fingers crossed, we'll be able to get in. It is currently surrounded to the NW, NE, SW and S but they are 10-15 miles away.

Stay safe!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

I actually jumped out of bed last night at midnight, and ran outside. The smoke was so bad, I thought something was on fire at the resort. It had been hazy, but nothing like it was last night. Tried to go back to sleep, but ended up walking a full lap around the resort to make sure everything was fine.

Wind out of the North was blowing it down, and it was heavy smoke.

Be safe out there!
Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Minnow

Wow! That had to be terrifying. A friend of mine just lost 4 cabins and they could barely evacuate the guests. Thankfully everyone is safe. These past 2 years have been terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

just returned from north caribou lake - smoke and ash - as well as hot air blasts - felt everyday. some photos attached.

phish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8346.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	311550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8347.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	311552  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Minnow

Headed up on the 13th...starting to look for last week minute reservations as I think our camp will be evacuated soon. Any and all recommendations welcome
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitowishWaters View Post
Headed up on the 13th...starting to look for last week minute reservations as I think our camp will be evacuated soon. Any and all recommendations welcome

We might be in the same boat! My group is 18 so will be tough to find a good camp that can accommodate. There seems to be less fires south but much of the area NW of Red isn't looking good. I don't know anything about Wesley Outposts- they seem to be geared more towards hunting than fishing so you might be able to get in?
Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Minnow

Did the fishing turn on for you? I've had that happen once where pine needles were dropping on our heads and the walleye went bonkers. Great pics but must've been a bit eerie. How did you upload them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfearme View Post
just returned from north caribou lake - smoke and ash - as well as hot air blasts - felt everyday. some photos attached.

phish
Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

We just returned from a week of fishing on Stormer and Kirkness Lakes, about fifty miles north of Red Lake. A relatively meek rainstorm passed through the area early last Sunday morning. I heard a few gentle rumbles of thunder about 4:45 a.m. that morning as I left the dock. There was a light rain for about five minutes.

My wife and I noticed a smoke plume about mid-afternoon on Sunday. We promptly returned to the lodge to report the fire The lodge owner immediately called the "fire number" to report the fire and learned that it had been reported minutes earlier by a pilot on a float plane. It wasn't long before a helicopter flew over the lake to follow-up on the reports. I believe this fire morphed into the now famous Nungesser Lake fire.

The curious thing is that we were checked by the MNR just two hours before we or anyone else noticed the fire. The MNR guys apparently didn't notice the fire, or I am sure they would have reported it. The fire went from nothing to a raging wildfire in about two hours.

I learned later that day that the storm spawned six separate fires in the general area that we were fishing. The smell of smoke, haze in the sky and falling ash were intimidating at times.

Our lodge owner was in constant contact with the area fire fighters, such that all lodge guests were updated several times each day with the status of the fires. It was clear to all of us that the wild fires were and still are very dynamic - subject to the weather and prevailing winds. Some of the fires merged into a single fire while other fires split into multiple fires.

We drove past a large burned area as we drove south on Nungesser road on Friday morning. It was a very solemn ride as my wife and I just looked at each other several times. We couldn't think of words that would be appropriate to say.

We sure do hope for the very best for all that are affected by these fires. For those that believe, pray for a long and gentle rain.

Very kindest regards.....
Old 07-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

I've actually had 3 different phone calls today about people looking to re-book trips because of the fires. Could help out one of them, but the other two were going to still be looking.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Minnow

Got room for 18 plus a dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
I've actually had 3 different phone calls today about people looking to re-book trips because of the fires. Could help out one of them, but the other two were going to still be looking.