Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Have $30K for boat, old vs new and altitude? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Keeper

Join Walleye boats for sale on Facebook.... you will see lots of boats for sale on there. I would say fishing at different elevations you will probably want one with a Verado.

There was just a Crestliner Superhawk posted with a 175 Verado in your price range.

Don't be in a hurry and try to look at as many as possible....eventually you will find a layout you really like.

Prices will be better now than April.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 01:34 AM
Minnow

Just want to say I really appreciate all the responses and information so far. It's been extremely helpful and it's already helped me narrow my search some.

For the first poster, I was planning to pay cash, but would potentially go the financing route if cheaper and I would just pay off early. To the poster that recommended the Walleye boats for sale facebook page, that's incredible. I heard about that about a week ago and have mostly been looking there.

Some of the common themes are in no particular order:

1.Go with a fuel injected or 4 stroke
2.Verado if possible to help with elevation changes
3.Considering not much of a dropoff from new to used, go new or newer if possible
4.2-3 props should do it
5.Towing and lighter weight, should be of utmost importance
6.From now until April, things may be cheaper sooner than later
7.You can get alot of trolling done with a 24V Terrova

So far, I've narrowed my search in a couple ways. First off, what I never thought to mention in my initial post was that I drive a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I'll most likely upgrade this spring to a Toyota 4 runner, which has a little more towing capacity, but I didn't even think about what size boat/weight for towing in the mountains. I'm now thinking that a glass boat is probably out of the question unfortunately and that's what I initially wanted to target. So now I'm thinking newer Alumacraft, Crestliner, or Lund with 90-115hp motor. I'm finding a few in my price range with Verados, but a decent amount with 90-115 hp Merc's that are either new or in the last few years in the upper 20's. Just curious, is there any newer (last 10 years) 4 stroke popular name brand motors in particular that I should absolutely stay away from? I'm seeing alot of Merc's, Yamaha's, and a few Evinrudes, Suzuki's, and Honda's. It sure sounds like a Merc may be the way to go and Verado in particular.

I've been seeing some stuff with Merc about Mercury Smartcraft gauges and being able to lower RPM's, idle speed, and troll slower. Has anybody used this and I'd be curious to see what HP motor you have and how low you were able to get your speed to. It sounds like most use a trolling motor to troll, but I've been known to troll for 90% of my day and long days (sun up to sun down), so that's why I would really prefer kicker or option to troll with main motor. That setup looks appealing, but I could find very few video's with people actually using it for fishing.

Thanks again and I appreciated the postings too!

Marcus
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Wallhanger

If you are going to be trolling alot, definitely get a kicker and keep them hours off the main motor. Run the kicker in conjunction with your gps bow mounted trolling motor to extend battery life and have gps controlled trolling. Use a servo driven throttle control like controllking or trollmaster to dial in your speed perfectly . A 36v trolling motor will have more power and run longer than a 24v. I've never been out in the lake and wish i had less power.

Since you are staying with aluminum and you are going to be trolling take a look at the Lund Tyee , I've owned an older one and have been in the newer ones and it is a great boat. Alumacraft Trophy is also a really good boat too.

As far as Verados go , on the 6 cylinder models the ecu can be reprogrammed for a hp increase. I think a 200hp can be increased all the way to 340hp.
I currently own a Yamaha f150 4 stroke, it is my first 4 stroke motor and i am pretty impressed with it. No more 2 stroke cold starts, much quieter, and very economical on the gas when compared to an older 2 stroke.
Etecs are modern 2 stroke motors, different animal from its older 2 stroke brothers. Better on gas , still has that 2 stroke low end torque and has push button winterazation.

Good luck on your search, keep us updated as far as your purchase goes.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

This past spring I decided to pull my Impact to northern Minnesota with my Ford Explorer, I typically use my truck but I wanted to see how the explorer did in northern Wisconsin. There’s a lot of hills not mountains like you have but it did ok but I would have preferred my truck. My explorer has the big v6 and tow package but everyone was passing me on the hills it did fine on level ground. My point is bigger boats like my Impact aren’t all that heavy but you will notice the weight pulling them with an SUV. As far as what you’re looking for I would prefer to put the trolling hours on a kicker or trolling motor instead of the big motor. Good luck.
MK Terrova I-Pilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 MSI G3N
Humminbird Helix 7
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

If you troll a lot, a kicker is the only way to go. Run it in conjunction with your bow mount and it is the easiest way to keep course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Slot Fish

Personally, I would take a Yamaha over any other outboard. I had a Merc on my Lund, and it just wasn't as reliable as I would have liked. But I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions on that.

I'm also not convinced that the Verado is a significant advantage at elevation. I know that the forced induction of a turbo runs better at elevation, but I don't think it is the same with a super charger.

What I will say is that it is much easier to find someone to work on a a Merc than any other brand. And if you go with Suzuki, make sure you check to see if there is someone to work on them. Last I checked, there are not a lot of Suzuki mechanics on the Front Range.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

4 Runners are very nice vehicles but for your application that choice would be a real dog towing at elevation. You will hate it. They are already renown for a weak V6 engine. Add a trailer and it will scream on every grade. Generally speaking I donít think there is a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder on the market that will serve your needs. Among naturally aspirated engines you have to go with a V8, and even some of those are dogs when towing at high elevation.

The answer is turbocharging when towing at high elevation. I have a F150 Screw 3.5 Ecoboost 4 x 4 maxtow that outperforms all other options, is extremely comfortable and is cheaper than a 4 Runner. If you donít want a truck, look at the Explorer with Ecoboost, or the new Bronco with Ecoboost. When it comes to turbocharged engines Ford has the edge with millions produced, high reliability and longevity, and already in second generation engine designs. Another option is Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 turbo diesel.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
I'm also not convinced that the Verado is a significant advantage at elevation. I know that the forced induction of a turbo runs better at elevation, but I don't think it is the same with a super charger.
Itís exactly the same actually. Both methods compress the intake charge to a specific pressure. The only difference is how they do it (exhaust gas vs mechanical). The only thing that would cause them to differ is their actual compression ratios and volume.

Having said that, neither method will provide 100 percent of HP as elevation increases. In my experience the Verado will lose a slight percentage of HP at higher elevation, but not nearly as much as a naturally aspirated engine.

Waxy
Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Minnow

Ok, probably a really stupid question. I was at Bass Pro today trying to magically piece something together and make it fit in my price range. Came fairly close, but ultimately probably not going to work. Anyways, for one of the upgrades, was that I could get "trailer brakes". The salesman made it seem like they should help decent amount when towing, especially when going downhill on steep grades. So I've been trying to research them and it looks like there are several different types of brakes.

My question is, do most trailers (old and new) for the types of boats I'm looking at come with brakes? If not, is this something that I can pay to have added to the trailer and then is there a certain style of brakes that would be best, specifically for elevation?

The more I come here, talk to people, research, the more I find out that there is a lot about boats that I don't know or never even thought of before. Granted, if the mountains weren't involved, it seems I would have much less to think about.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 AM
Wallhanger

MLynch,
For your 2013 Highlander, trailer brakes will be required. Look at your owners manual, Toyota requires them on any trailer over 1000#. The type of rig you're looking at will be between 3000 and 4000#.

Most boat trailers with brakes use what are called "surge" brakes, an actuator contains a braking system, and as the trailer pushed against the hitch ball, it applies braking pressure to the brakes on the trailer. here's an explanation;

https://youtu.be/0KVCkEDbz1E

Unfortunately, this is an area where dealers and manufacturers try to save money, by not automatically including them in the package price. Trailer brakes, for the style of tow vehicles you have mentioned, are money well spent, for your safety, as well as others on the road.

HRG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toy High towing.pdf (145.3 KB, 21 views)