Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat sales - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
There's a YUGE difference between not being "spot on" and being an a-hole. Sales person above definitely qualifies as #2. With that attitude, I'm not going to trust him with my boat purchase, since obviously he thinks he knows more about my boat needs than I do. And I won't do business with a dealer who hires or hasn't weeded out sales persons like that. Those are usually systemic problems throughout the business. Too much money to be playing games.
Fair enough. Like I said, "To each, his own." Do you go to the manager or owner and share what just happened? Or do you go online and trash the dealership? How does one handle that? You might be able to use that to your advantage You "aide" in weeding that guy out, and still do your business there, and in doing so, maybe the owner/manager throws you a bone in some way. Or maybe it's just like you said, and he's a total a-hole and you're better off somewhere else. It was just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Fair enough. Like I said, "To each, his own." Do you go to the manager or owner and share what just happened? Or do you go online and trash the dealership? How does one handle that? You might be able to use that to your advantage You "aide" in weeding that guy out, and still do your business there, and in doing so, maybe the owner/manager throws you a bone in some way. Or maybe it's just like you said, and he's a total a-hole and you're better off somewhere else. It was just a thought
Myself, I would contact the manager or owner. Their response or lack of would give me a good idea of whether it's a store wide systemic problem or just one a-hole sales person. If they threw me a big enough bone, I might go back. Chances are probably not though. I wouldn't trust my boat going through there being the boat of the guy who got Mike, Bob, or whomever the salesman was, reprimanded or fired.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Really?

So you guys are going to stop a boat deal and complain to a manager or owner because a salesmen made a comment about a stereo that was likely an attempt at a joke? Obviously it didn't go over well and his timing was poor but that's a heck of a standard to set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

20 years in sales here. Sales sucks at times. everyone thinks you are a piece of garbage. people also love wasting your time. its all part of the game its what we sign up for, but the reality is like any profession you have good days and you have bad days.

i've never sold vehicles but i know people who have and it can be a real grind. i've walked out of dealerships haggling with a guy for over an hour and walking away. its tough to keep a positive outlook with the next prospect with that still on your mind.

but i will tell you that sales guy reached out to me said he was sorry he coulnt' get me the price i wanted asked for me to let him try on the next one and we did and we bought from him.

a lot of sales guys its a dickswinging contest but for most they are just trying to feed their families and its tough to be ON all the time in the face of so much rejection.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really? View Post
So you guys are going to stop a boat deal and complain to a manager or owner because a salesmen made a comment about a stereo that was likely an attempt at a joke? Obviously it didn't go over well and his timing was poor but that's a heck of a standard to set.
If I'm spending $50-90k on a boat, I want a salesperson, not a comedian or someone who looks down on my wants and needs in that boat.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Wallhanger

Spent 2 yrs selling cars, back in the early 80's. Think about that for a moment. (Jimmy Carter, misery index, 15.9%, not to mention crap vehicles) The most eye opening and educational experience I could have had, spent almost 30 yrs selling millwork to contractors after that. Selling is about relationships, doing what you say you will, being honest, forthright and when needed over delivering. I had plenty of the customers who would ask questions like the one about the radio, and an answer like the salesman delivered without a smile or chuckle will make some people mad. But, as a salesperson, we have to do something to win your trust. Humor, how ever dumb it might be, is one way to do it. I am sure a couple of my comments were taken wrong too, but that was back in the day when if you didn't like something you didn't go whining to the manager, or take to social media and bash someone or something because it hurt your sensibilities. We all have bad days, I'm trying to remember the line "once I can forgive, twice is a problem, 3 times is a pattern" or something like that. I remember the day some guy came in and complained that his salesperson told him that he would sell him the car for $x 2 days before, now he wouldn't. The manager told him, HE was the one who wouldn't do it for that today. Boys and girls that is what we called sending them on a "trip". But it got him back in the store, and he ended up buying the truck anyway.

To answer the posters question, some dealerships pay on commission after minimum wage is met. Boat sales are some long lonely hours. But the best dealerships are ones that have adopted the sales techniques and tactics of the auto dealers. The ones going away are the ones that are not or at least should.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

The attitude of the customer plays big on the relationship you will have with your salesperson also.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
The attitude of the customer plays big on the relationship you will have with your salesperson also.
Very true, you treat me like I'm not worthy of your business, and you will be treated in kind. Sometimes your BEST sale, is the one you didn't make.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

There is a boat dealership where over 35 years I have bought 4 boats from the same guy. The last one in 2008. He was a good guy and we always had a good relationship. He made a good living and had lots of toys to go with his lifestyle. The dealership also sold motorcycles, ATV's and snowmobiles.

When we first met he was a young guy in his early 20's and just getting started. About 5 years ago I got a letter from him informing me he had left the dealership and was now sales manager at the large local RV dealership. About 3 years ago I was in the market for a travel trailer so I went to see him and made a deal. I asked him why he switched from boats to RV's. He said the margin on boats and the other vehicles he sold was getting too thin and the competition was fierce. He said the younger generation aren't buying new equipment like the baby boomers did. He said that now all the boomers want RV's for retirement travel. He decided the boomers had the cash and the RV business would be great for the next 10 to 15 years and that would get him into retirement.

Anyone looking into boat sales ought to do a careful market study.

Last edited by Baseline; 10-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
A couple of years ago when I was in the market for a new Ranger, I went to one of the closest dealerships to price a new boat. They had the boat I wanted in their warehouse but I informed the salesman that I needed to sell my current boat before I could pull the trigger on a new one. I asked him the approximate trade-in value of my current boat if I were to go that route. It was also a Ranger, so I know he had a good idea of what it would be worth. He told me about $5K.

I went home and did my research. The going price of a boat like mine was more like triple what he said he'd give me for my boat. I cleaned it up, took some quality pictures, and posted the boat for sale online. It sold in 2 days for 3X what he was willing to give me as a trade-in. I took the money and used it as the down payment for my new boat from a different dealership. I'm not going to purchase anything from a guy that I feel will take advantage of you if you allow it. The perception of trust is a huge factor for being a successful salesman or saleswoman.

Iíve bought my fair share of vehicles from dealerships, often trying to trade in something for the new purchase. Only once (when I bought my Malibu) did the dealer give me what I thought it was worth.

That said, Iíve still traded some vehicles in. One that I was worried about future mechanical problems. One (my last purchase) when I just didnít want the hassle of selling my trade (and I make my living in sales).

Just a long winded way of saying that most of the time you shouldnít expect to get a great deal when you are trading something in. They have to make a cut on that too. And it could be something youíre trading in because it will have future problems.

As far as sales in general, I love the profession. But I wouldnít want to do it in a retail environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk