Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Valley sport and marine ripped me off now what - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 10-19-2019, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Donny;6365544]So I just bought a brand new 2019 Lund tyee. Did all the paper work ordered my electronics, dealer said come back in a week to pick up the boat. I arrive to get my boat and [B]they say we found some problems in the gel coat[/B]. I look and all over the boat there are spots the size of my hand that look chalky white. There is some bubbling on the right rear hull. I could not see this on the showroom floor when I bought the boat poor lighting and the boat is black. Dealer said they will have it fixed. Now here is what sent me over the edge. They did not install the electronics I wanted and they tell me I will have to buy new electronics and pay a 400 dollar restocking fee on the new electronics just installed. I just snapped on the dealer and told them I want to return the boat. What am I supposed to do, I did not buy a brand new boat that has to be fixed. Am I right or wrong. Is the dealer supposed to return the boat legally.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I have had glass boats on & off since the late 90's. I have never had (or heard of) a instance that fiberglass couldn't be fixed to look like new. As you mention they pointed out the flaws, it's not like they were deceiving or trying to trick you. They were above board with you. I would have it fixed with the understanding that you must be happy with it to accept it.

As far as the electronics I can't help you. Was the boat ordered for you as a package boat from the factory and they ( the factory) installed the wrong electronics or did you not have a written change request for the electronics?

I think you might have some legitimate concerns however I don't agree with your ripping the dealership by naming them right away. Relax and go back and discuss things and try and figure what went wrong with the process. And no you don't have to accept the boat, nor do they have to be willing to sell you another one. :laugh:

Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6365556][B]Did you ever officially take delivery, and leave the dealership with the boat? [/B] From the sounds of it, they installed different electronics than what your contract should show, not sure how they think they can force a customer to accept that.

HRG[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Donny;6365558][B]I don’t think it matters I had signed the paperwork then took possession a week later[/B]. I care more about a brand new boat having to be re sprayed. I did not buy a new boat to be repaired.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hartly;6365576]I am in the Auto industry . I am the Director Of Finance ,for the dealership. I have seen this situation a few times before . [B]If you did not take actual delivery of the Boat . Meaning taking it physically off of the dealership property .[/B] At your discretion , they legally have to give you a refund. All they can charge you for if they are jerks is a restocking fee. I would never accept a new boat that has to be fixed in that manner. If you financed the boat call the financial institution and cancel the contract. Explain to them you have not taken physical possession of the financed property. And let them know that the boat has problems that were not disclosed to you at the time of signing . They will call the dealer and put pressure on them to right the situation. Ask for your money back or a different NEW BOAT with the correct electronics.[/QUOTE]

You might not think it matters, but in the eyes of the law it probably does. Did you leave the dealership with the boat or not?

Keep in mind how this looks like a case of "buyers remorse". The dealer was actually being pro-active and found the problem BEFORE you did.

Lawyer up, and let the professionals handle it.

HRG
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Minnow

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6365586][QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6365556][B]Did you ever officially take delivery, and leave the dealership with the boat? [/B] From the sounds of it, they installed different electronics than what your contract should show, not sure how they think they can force a customer to accept that.

HRG[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Donny;6365558][B]I don’t think it matters I had signed the paperwork then took possession a week later[/B]. I care more about a brand new boat having to be re sprayed. I did not buy a new boat to be repaired.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hartly;6365576]I am in the Auto industry . I am the Director Of Finance ,for the dealership. I have seen this situation a few times before . [B]If you did not take actual delivery of the Boat . Meaning taking it physically off of the dealership property .[/B] At your discretion , they legally have to give you a refund. All they can charge you for if they are jerks is a restocking fee. I would never accept a new boat that has to be fixed in that manner. If you financed the boat call the financial institution and cancel the contract. Explain to them you have not taken physical possession of the financed property. And let them know that the boat has problems that were not disclosed to you at the time of signing . They will call the dealer and put pressure on them to right the situation. Ask for your money back or a different NEW BOAT with the correct electronics.[/QUOTE]

You might not think it matters, but in the eyes of the law it probably does. Did you leave the dealership with the boat or not?

Keep in mind how this looks like a case of "buyers remorse". The dealer was actually being pro-active and found the problem BEFORE you did.

Lawyer up, and let the professionals handle it.

HRG[/QUOTE]
Yes I did take the boat, but they only showed me the spots on the dash. When I got home is when I found the flaws all over the gel coat. They kept telling me don’t worry bring it back any time and we will fix it. Also I lost it when I found out what they were going to charge me for new Electronics. I told the salesmen I was returning the boat and he said it was used not because they already turned in the warranty paperwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Minnow

[QUOTE=That Minnesota guy;6365584][QUOTE=Donny;6365544]So I just bought a brand new 2019 Lund tyee. Did all the paper work ordered my electronics, dealer said come back in a week to pick up the boat. I arrive to get my boat and [B]they say we found some problems in the gel coat[/B]. I look and all over the boat there are spots the size of my hand that look chalky white. There is some bubbling on the right rear hull. I could not see this on the showroom floor when I bought the boat poor lighting and the boat is black. Dealer said they will have it fixed. Now here is what sent me over the edge. They did not install the electronics I wanted and they tell me I will have to buy new electronics and pay a 400 dollar restocking fee on the new electronics just installed. I just snapped on the dealer and told them I want to return the boat. What am I supposed to do, I did not buy a brand new boat that has to be fixed. Am I right or wrong. Is the dealer supposed to return the boat legally.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I have had glass boats on & off since the late 90's. I have never had (or heard of) a instance that fiberglass couldn't be fixed to look like new. As you mention they pointed out the flaws, it's not like they were deceiving or trying to trick you. They were above board with you. I would have it fixed with the understanding that you must be happy with it to accept it.

As far as the electronics I can't help you. Was the boat ordered for you as a package boat from the factory and they ( the factory) installed the wrong electronics or did you not have a written change request for the electronics?

I think you might have some legitimate concerns however I don't agree with your ripping the dealership by naming them right away. Relax and go back and discuss things and try and figure what went wrong with the process. And no you don't have to accept the boat, nor do they have to be willing to sell you another one. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]no it was a showroom model, and you can’t tell me they did not know about the flaws. I mean they have to inspect these boats before they selll them to a customer. I believe they knew about the damage on the boat and did not want to tell me until after I had paid making it to late.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

I have never purchased a NEW boat.

I'm not a lawyer.

As other's have said, you need professional advice, not a fishing forum.

If it was me, the first phone call would've been to my lawyer. Think of all the people who purchased new boats this year that were PERFECT. No way I'd allow this.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Donny,
If you took the boat of of the dealer's lot, and it sounds like you did, it is your boat.

If there are hull issues and they said that the hull can be made now, let them make it new - subject to your inspection.

-------------
But, if you still have issues and if you live in a Lemon Law state, you can return anything that has issues as long as it is within the window of time after purchase before having the lemon law expire on you. In some states it is 30 deays from the day you took possession.

----------------
From another source:

"Do lemon laws apply to boats?
Does the Federal Lemon Law cover boats? Yes, as long as you bought the boat new and it came with a written warranty. It does not matter if your defects related to the hull, equipment, or another part of the boat. The federal lemon law covers the whole boat.Aug 7, 2009"
Old 10-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Slot Fish

ive bought 4 glass boats. They always detailed the boats and then at delivery they showed me any flaws if there were any(usually nothing). they looked like beautiful glass... sunlight is best. if I saw anything I didn't like within reason, I would not take delivery at that point until it was fixed satisfactorily. Lund dealers likely have to go through a checklist walking you through everything. then you sign you did the walkthrough/walk around.

I also looked it over very closely top to bottom in good light. Id take an hour checking to be sure everything was exactly what I ordered. my first boat had a hazy chalky patch in the finish on one side. they sent it to a fiberglass repair shop and it came back perfect a week later. then I took delivery and paid for it. Fiberglass usually is VERY repairable.

On the electronics, that's usually in the sales order/contract and if its a factory pre-rigged boat it has that in its description. did you not have a contract? did you verbally tell them what you wanted but it wasn't on the contract/sales order?

I'm guessing the glass can likely be fixed, you'll never see any difference. Is there any possible miscommunication on your part on the electronics ? $400 is a rounding error on what you will spend during the lifetime on that boat in paying for it, pulling it using using a tow vehicle and gas, maintenance, insurance etc. for me, life's too short to have to be right every time. on the electronics , I may tell them what I think and just move on.

yeah, I'd probably not call them out by name in public, just handle it

good luck and hope you get this corrected to your liking.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-20-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Minnow

[QUOTE=REW;6365680]Donny,
If you took the boat of of the dealer's lot, and it sounds like you did, it is your boat.

If there are hull issues and they said that the hull can be made now, let them make it new - subject to your inspection.

-------------
But, if you still have issues and if you live in a Lemon Law state, you can return anything that has issues as long as it is within the window of time after purchase before having the lemon law expire on you. In some states it is 30 deays from the day you took possession.

----------------
From another source:

"Do lemon laws apply to boats?
Does the Federal Lemon Law cover boats? Yes, as long as you bought the boat new and it came with a written warranty. It does not matter if your defects related to the hull, equipment, or another part of the boat. The federal lemon law covers the whole boat.Aug 7, 2009"[/QUOTE]
I took the boat because they showed me a small spot on the dashboard, I did not see the hull spots until I got it home. Regardless I did not spend a lot of money on a boat that needs repaired plain and simple. I don’t care if getting it repaired will make it look perfect. It’s the whole point.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

Why come here? Get a lawyer.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=kswalleyer;6365686]ive bought 4 glass boats. They always detailed the boats and then at delivery they showed me any flaws if there were any(usually nothing). they looked like beautiful glass... sunlight is best. if I saw anything I didn't like within reason, I would not take delivery at that point until it was fixed satisfactorily. Lund dealers likely have to go through a checklist walking you through everything. then you sign you did the walkthrough/walk around.

I also looked it over very closely top to bottom in good light. Id take an hour checking to be sure everything was exactly what I ordered. my first boat had a hazy chalky patch in the finish on one side. they sent it to a fiberglass repair shop and it came back perfect a week later. then I took delivery and paid for it. Fiberglass usually is VERY repairable.

On the electronics, that's usually in the sales order/contract and if its a factory pre-rigged boat it has that in its description. did you not have a contract? did you verbally tell them what you wanted but it wasn't on the contract/sales order?

I'm guessing the glass can likely be fixed, you'll never see any difference. Is there any possible miscommunication on your part on the electronics ? $400 is a rounding error on what you will spend during the lifetime on that boat in paying for it, pulling it using using a tow vehicle and gas, maintenance, insurance etc. for me, life's too short to have to be right every time. on the electronics , I may tell them what I think and just move on.

yeah, I'd probably not call them out by name in public, just handle it

good luck and hope you get this corrected to your liking.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have bought 4 new glass boats and have had some minor issues but the dealer has gone out of his way to fix. Everything should be in the contract and price sheets, what does that say about the electronics? In fact my last boat, the final paperwork was off by $3000 in my favor, I asked to have them correct it and did not try to walk away thinking I hit the lottery. Also glass can be repaired like new and it is not just a patch. It sounds like you took the boat before both of you realized the issues, obviously you did pull away without checking things as well, like the electronics. I also agree with not calling out the dealers name before you exhausted your options. Having a good relationship with your dealer is critical, they also know that. You buy a big glass boat, the last thing you want is to drive up and have everyone recognize you for the wrong reason. KS is correct, if it's a stalemate, $400 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. You claim it's the point. OK, maybe you don't want to meet them halfway because your dealer is just like you, it's the point. Owning my own business for 28 years and being the primary sales guy, right or wrong the point of it all seldom moves anything forward. Good luck for sure.