Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Valley sport and marine ripped me off now what - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Minnow

You own this Donny.

1) Bought boat from a dealer with a historically less than stellar rep.
2) Didn't inspect boat when you picked it up
3) Went to multiple online forums to roast said dealer
4) Electronic issue is 100% your based on work order being written wrong and you accepted it
5) Gel coat can be repaired easily. To request a complete refund or new hull is unreasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Donny;6365846]So when does the dealer fess up to there mistakes, you are saying I am the one to blame it’s all my fault. I’m sorry this is my first brand new boat I have ever bought. It never occurred to me that these boats come full of flaws. I thought there was quality control measures that prevented this. I figured these boats were fully inspected before selling them on the lot. I know if I owned dealership you better believe I would know what I’m selling to my customers. Someone coming into my place would not even have to question that. And if I sold someone a boat and they came to me and said it’s full of flaws you better believe I would give them a full refund. Because you know what that customer will think dang they just took care of me and fixed the problem I will always buy a boat from them. You may lose a little now but you get a customer for life. that is how you build a customer base and a good reputation.[/QUOTE]

I will stick up for Donny a little. I don't think this is unreasonable to want a replacement or some sort of refund. Boats do come with flaws. I know personally. I had flaws on walleye boats when I was selling them, this is the reason I no longer am in that business. These manufacturers owe it to their customers to deliver a product that is in good working and cosmetic condition. The boats I sold were repaired and issues disclosed before the customer touched the boat. The boats were also sold at a steep discount which I, as the dealer, ended up eating. The manufacturer and dealership should have caught the flaws. They are the professionals. They own this more than he does. The consumer is under the assumption he is buying a new boat that has passed various levels of quality control. It is not too much for a consumer to expect to receive a nice finished product. When fiberglass boats are repaired, the repairs almost always can be seen. All manufacturers have issues. I know of four manufacturers of new fiberglass boats that had cosmetic issues. Those boats were all sold, but the problems were disclosed ahead of time and sold at a deep discount. Not sure, but it seems to me they may have known about these issues and waited until the boat was sold to disclose them, meaning they wouldn't have to discount the boat. I would take the boat to Duane's Body Shop boat repair building in Bismarck and let them have a look. The other boat repair shop in town doesn't seem to be what they used to be. They fixed a small flaw in my brother's new boat this spring and it looked worse than before. Also, before jumping all over Donny, put yourself in his shoes. If you had just dropped 80K plus how would you feel? Not many of you would say "just grind out the flaw and spray some new gelcoat on it". Most of us expect a toy that expensive to be flawless and something we are very proud of.
Buying something like a new boat is supposed to be a really fun experience. These are toys for enjoyment, not headache. The marine industry has a long way to go in terms of quality.

Last edited by winchester jack; 10-21-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Keeper

If it's just a cosmetic, surface gelcoat issue and there aren't underlying structural problems, it should be a relatively easy fix, and their would be little concern for long term performance or durability. It sounds like they're trying to work on correcting that. Just because it wasn't perfect straight from the factory doesn't mean it can't be corrected. If there was a major wave in the surface or a hook in the hull that would be a different story.

As for the comment of overpaying by 5 grand, that's pretty much what happens most of the time with dealers in western ND, especially Bismarck. I personally know several people who have gone to South Dakota and Minnesota to purchase brand new boats because the dealers around here weren't close to competitive. That goes for other dealers that sell other brands besides just the one mentioned by the OP, although that one in particular is known for their high pricing.

The electronics thing sounds like a mess. I'm guessing there's more to the story than just "they did not install the electronics I wanted".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

There was an earlier post that I have to politely disagreee with.

A statement was made - that if anything was done by the factory or the dealer and it is exposed in a resale that the value of the boat would go down.

I simply have to ask - Why?

If a person receives a product that does not meet their "quality standards" and from the post, it appears that the subject of this sale did not meet the "quality standards" of the person who made the purchase and the manufacturer takes the object back to the factory and then does what is necessary to meed the "quality standards" of the product - there will be no reduction in the value of the object, since the person is just receiving a delayed delivery on the product that does meet " their quality standards"

No different than if a person starts a new car and drive it home and the engine blows up on the way home. The person returns the car to the place from which it was purchased and the "factory defect" is replaced by a " quality new part" and returned to the purchaser. Effectively there will be no change in the value of the car, since the car has a brand new factory representative installed replacement in the car.

Same thing that happens when a high end product comes down the assembly line at a manufacturing plant. The product fails final inspection and is returned to the line for correction. The defect is repaired and now meets final inspection. The item is a "new factory certified item and is worth exactly the same price as the same objects that came down the line with no corrections needed to deliver the "quality item".

-------------------------------------------
Return the purchase to the place from which it was purchased and have the place - and its representatives make it right. Receive the corrected product back to your possession and enjoy it for the next 150 years and put thousands of fish in the livewell as you enjoy your heard earned purchase.

p.s.

When a boat is in the water, and when the owner of the boat is in the water driving it at 60 mph down the lake with sun, and wind on the body - the one thing that the person can not see is the outside of the hull that is underwater and or even the side of the hull when you are enjoying the distinctive thump of the Lunker Walleye that has attached itself to your line and you are now on to catch the fish of your lifetime.

The item that lets a person enjoy that wonderful thump of the strike of a walleye bite is a boat that floats, doesn't leak, has an engine that starts and runs the way that you want you to have it run and gets you safely home at the end of every great trip.

Be safe and enjoy your life and the pleasures that you can get by seeing the beautiful clouds in the summer sky or the look from your wife when you do something for her that makes her really happy.

Enjoy life and its pleasures.

Be safe
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM
welll

Ask your self this: if you walked onto a showfloor and the salesperson said :

"we had to re-finish the entire side of this boat due to a factory flaw" would you buy that boat or ask to see one that didn't have repaired flaws

Or would you only buy the repaired boat at a discount.

BTW not Donny
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty late in the list with this, but it appears that the OP is setting himself up for a disappointment. He's already in the "all or nothing" mode. There is NO FIX the dealer can do to to this boat to make him happy. The dealer has offered to repair the boat, and I think that's all they're going to do, and I think if it's not a structural issue, that's all they're obligated to do.

I have a hard time believing the dealer set out to screw the OP, and is only doing what they would have done with any boat that came in flawed that they did notice. They'd repair it and sell it. Here, they sold it and are willing to repair it.

I wish both parties luck in finding some solution, because I just don't see there being any middle ground.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Minnow

[QUOTE=bigwalleye1;6365984]Pretty late in the list with this, but it appears that the OP is setting himself up for a disappointment. He's already in the "all or nothing" mode. There is NO FIX the dealer can do to to this boat to make him happy. The dealer has offered to repair the boat, and I think that's all they're going to do, and I think if it's not a structural issue, that's all they're obligated to do.

I have a hard time believing the dealer set out to screw the OP, and is only doing what they would have done with any boat that came in flawed that they did notice. They'd repair it and sell it. Here, they sold it and are willing to repair it.

I wish both parties luck in finding some solution, because I just don't see there being any middle ground.[/QUOTE]

No if they offered me 10 grand off the price of the boat then sure I would accept that, plus getting it fixed. That way Iím paying for a damaged boat, I donít want to hear well then Iím ripping the dealer off because hey should not have to pay for repairs, they are not paying for repairs in the first place it is warranty work with Lund.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Minnow

Did you happen to take some pictures that you could share? I'm just curious to see the level defects and how that could have been missed if it's this bad.

My boat purchase experience was pretty strait forward this past spring. New boat on the showroom floor. I went through the boat and wanted a few extra things that were not installed. Helix 12 on the dash, Helix 7 on the bow and some side rails. I asked for these items to be installed before I picked up the boat for the first time.

During the installation of the added items, the dealer noticed that some of the black basecoat was bleeding though the silver flake on the outside of the boat. The spot was visible but not noticed at first glance by either of us. When it was noticed by the dealer he brought it to my attention and had a repair all set up pending my approval. I went in to see it, approved the repair and I cannot tell where the issue was as the repair looks perfect.

I went in a total of 3 times before I hooked it up and drove it home for the first time. Never took it out for a spin, and I thought that was a bit of a risk for a $55K+ toy. Then again, trust goes a long way these day's with a big purchase.

Can't speak on the electronics issue. That's got my confused as everything I did was on paper before anything was done and agreed to. I knew I was paying for what I added.

Send pictures. I would like to see what your describing.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Minnow

[QUOTE=TUNASUB;6366008]Did you happen to take some pictures that you could share? I'm just curious to see the level defects and how that could have been missed if it's this bad.

My boat purchase experience was pretty strait forward this past spring. New boat on the showroom floor. I went through the boat and wanted a few extra things that were not installed. Helix 12 on the dash, Helix 7 on the bow and some side rails. I asked for these items to be installed before I picked up the boat for the first time.

During the installation of the added items, the dealer noticed that some of the black basecoat was bleeding though the silver flake on the outside of the boat. The spot was visible but not noticed at first glance by either of us. When it was noticed by the dealer he brought it to my attention and had a repair all set up pending my approval. I went in to see it, approved the repair and I cannot tell where the issue was as the repair looks perfect.

I went in a total of 3 times before I hooked it up and drove it home for the first time. Never took it out for a spin, and I thought that was a bit of a risk for a $55K+ toy. Then again, trust goes a long way these day's with a big purchase.

Can't speak on the electronics issue. That's got my confused as everything I did was on paper before anything was done and agreed to. I knew I was paying for what I added.

Send pictures. I would like to see what your describing.[/QUOTE]
I posted a few pictures in a earlier post you can scroll through
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Donny;6365986]No if they offered me 10 grand off the price of the boat then sure I would accept that, plus getting it fixed. That way Iím paying for a damaged boat, I donít want to hear well then Iím ripping the dealer off because hey should not have to pay for repairs, they are not paying for repairs in the first place it is warranty work with Lund.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, or not, I don't think the dealer MAKES 10 grand on a boat. That, plus repairing cosmetic issues in addition, I think they'd be better off taking their chances in court, seeing as how you've already flamed them without trying to work it out first. They really don't have much to lose.