Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
theft of things outdoors - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 PM
holliswusamember

Default theft of things outdoors

With Halloween coming and end of season of things not yet put away,.
I wonder if anyone remember one of my posts long ago.I had a problem with people stealing my" for rent" signs which were a bit higher end than the usual.Metal frame that was pushed into the ground.

After losing three of them in a short while at one property, I decided to do something about it... I basically did two things at the time ,I made a homemade buzzer alarm.

I suppose you can buy one cheaper than the time is money that it took me to make my own but this was a loud buzzer attached to a nine volt battery with a spring clothspin with 2 metal tacks pushed into the wood in the jaws with a soldered wire on one side going to the battery and a soldered wire on the other side going to the buzzer. So when the jaws of the clothspin was closed made a complete circuit and buzzer came on. What I did was put a thin piece of polyethylene plastic(like a Tupperware or similar piece of plastic ) between those two jaws with a hole for some fishing line and then I attached it to the sign if anybody pulled it loose the buzzer would go off,.Gave it a few feet of slack. Hard to see the line and I hid the buzzer gizmo.

But I knew that might not stop the theft so I attached to a fairly deep stake into the ground a very thin but very strong cable that I think had a 600+ pound tensile strength. Wound it up at the base which made it also very hard to see and gave it about 20 feet of line.

I warned the downstairs tenant about what was being done and that he might have to go out after a while to disconnect the buzzer if it bothered him too much. These days I think I could rig up a timer that would shut it off 30 seconds.

Anyway it wasn't more than a few nights later he said he heard the buzzer go off then a bang and a lot of swearing and he looked out and nobody was there but apparently the guy hit the end of the cable and didn't like the effect. I'm guessing it was the same guy who was doing the others because no sign was ever taken after that.

Years later I did a similar thing to a big pumpkin that we had on our porch and every year kids would take it and smash it. Frankly I didn't mine very much figuring if that's all they did, I wouldn't worry about it but as a joke I wired up the same thing with the alarm but not attaching a cable that would hurt anybody. I think they did this in smashing thing for 10 or 12 years in a row but wouldn't you know it, they didn't do it the year that I wired up my joke . But they've done it almost every year ever since. I know they could not have seen the thin fishing line that was attached to the pumpkin in the buzzer was well hidden is just that they left it alone that year. Oh well,... --96.236.xxx.xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

I like it!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

That's awesome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Wallhanger

Rig up an infrared game cam on video over that pumpkin to catch the reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

I met a guy some years ago that had a similar thing. He had his chopped up firewood at the rear of his property stacked neatly. Most every day he looked and some was missing. So he took a piece, drilled a hole and emptied the gun powder from a 12 gauge shell into it. He then plugged the hole. Took a few days, but he never lost another piece of wood again.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
I met a guy some years ago that had a similar thing. He had his chopped up firewood at the rear of his property stacked neatly. Most every day he looked and some was missing. So he took a piece, drilled a hole and emptied the gun powder from a 12 gauge shell into it. He then plugged the hole. Took a few days, but he never lost another piece of wood again.
Oh my! The thief doesn't need the firewood anymore because his fireplace/wood burner is no longer useable, and additionally the superficial burn marks on his upper torso is a dead giveaway.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 PM
holliswuzamember

Originally Posted by ffishman View Post

That guy and myself thinks alike,..I almost did the exact same think to (I think my neighbor) who would pilfer my wood all winter. as I didn't did get out to my cabin very often esp in the colder months. But then my conscious got to me thinking how would I feel if his house burned down and or if he or a member of his family got hurt or even died in that fire,...so instead I complained to him about "someone "stealing my wood and could he keep a lookout and that I had a hidden cam set up AND that I booby trapped a piece of wood like that so well that I was afraid I might misplace it and not being able to tell because I glued a piece of bark so well I might not be able to tell,..(this was BS) I really didn't do that but my wood theft stopped rt after that.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Wow I would think a sign psoting video surveillance would have been easier not to mention safer than gun powder. If anyone would have been hurt the wood owner may have been liable for injuries.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander Man View Post
Wow I would think a sign psoting video surveillance would have been easier not to mention safer than gun powder. If anyone would have been hurt the wood owner may have been liable for injuries.
That's doesn't even work with emboldened idiots. I had a similar problem when I bought my property. People from a neighboring property were actually cutting down my trees, stealing cut wood, dumping trash, and using my property as an ATV track, mowing over the fruit and other trees I planted when I moved in. I posted sign after sign and they would steal them. Had verbal confrontations, police involved, property surveyed and marked, video taped them, and they just wouldn't quit. I even posted the trail cam videos on YouTube with his name attached to it and they still kept it up. I finally put heavy duty t-stakes across the trail and on the property corners, and they started stealing those. Finally got sick of it and had all my old treble hooks welded onto some fresh t-stakes and put them out along with the trail layered with 4" deck screws pointing upwards to flatten tires. Not even 24 hours later, I heard all kinds of commotion out back. Yep, idiot tried to steal the t-stakes with trebles on them. Went out back and found the stakes mowed over with color from his ATV on them and blood on one. What do you know, after all that crap, those treble hooks and a couple flats finally put an end to 2 years of their childish games.

Here's the guy's wife coming through on her way to mow my trees over with a small tractor the first day I put out a trail cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4GIdI03nIE

After showing them and the cops the video, two days later, here's the idiot husband stopping at a barricade I erected along the trail with a sign saying he was being video taped on it. You can see him read the sign then look around for the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLt37MODyc

After reading it and knowing he was being video taped, he just blows through it and goes down the trail, mowing over replacement fruit trees I planted. That was the last straw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnfEFUMXl4

Yeah, yeah, I already know all the what-if's and liability issues, but they didn't happen and the problem ended.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander Man View Post
When he told me, that is exactly what I thought. But I doubt the thief is going to admit he was stealing and on top of that the guy that did it could pull the goofy act and claim he does not know how that got there. Maybe someone did it to him.