Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Strong Fishing on Lake of the Woods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Walleyecap

Default Strong Fishing on Lake of the Woods

On the south end... Fall fishing is strong with good numbers of walleyes being caught. Walleyes are staged in front of the Lighthouse Gap (mouth of Rainy River) in 18' - 24'. Anglers on fish in front of Zippel Bay, the Fields, Long Point, Rocky Point, Knight and Bridges and Garden Island. Anglers having success anchored up and jigging with live and frozen shiners. Gold, pink, glow and a combo working well. Anglers sorting through all sizes of walleyes and fish cleaning houses are busy. Some big pike being caught this past week as well.

On the Rainy River... Anglers are reporting catches from Four Mile Bay in 12-16' of water. Mixed pods of fish from the mouth of the river at Wheeler's Point and at various key spots up river all the way to Birchdale. Lots of current, have big jigs, 3/4, 1, and in some areas, 1.5 ounce. Some big fish caught this week in the river. Sturgeon anglers continue to do well.

Up at the NW Angle... Walleyes fishing remains good. Neck down areas, points and mouths of bays holding good fish. Jigging continues to be the go to method. Crappie fishing very good. Muskie fishing remains strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 PM
Minnow

A number of years ago we joined my BIL, who had not taken a vacation in 15 years, and his family for a week of fishing the Woods. Having had an uncle and aunt in Roseau the Woods were not unknown to me growing up. On that particular trip we were going to stay in a fish camp in Warroad but the women said, NO Way! It was a bit too rustic so we headed across the border to Buffalo Point. What a great week. We found a large double stand of reeds about a mile west of the dock and fished it every morning. We would figure 8 the reeds, trolling up the outside and then floating back down the center. We would limit on walleye within an hour and spend the rest of the day chasing other species. A great week and every bit as good as I remembered from my childhood.
I don’t think you can ever go wrong heading to Warroad or any other spot that will put you on the Woods.