Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pellet grils - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCESI View Post
I have had 2 Traeger grills. One is the original and 10+ years old and works great, we bought a newer one 4 years ago and it was made overseas and was a POS in my opinion and did not last. Just rebuilt the old one and have turned it into my fish smoker. I like to keep meat and fish separate.

We bought a Memphis grill this past summer and wow what a difference. High quality, insulated all around and all Stainless steel. It is made in Minnesota, Bloomington I believe and is well worth the extra cost. Like anything you get what you pay for but they are spendy. It cam smoke at 160 deg. and grill steaks at 650.00. there is a special grill plate with holes in it for searing steaks so the flame can come up and kiss the steaks and put a nice char on them. We really like the Memphis and would recommend them to anyone.

The Trager is good as well but the one we bought was foreign made and it showed. Not sure if it was that particular model or if all of them are now made overseas.
Never had better and made right here in Minnesota!
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Keeper

Default Pellets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reels View Post
You won't want to do that. The binders that hold heating pellets together are paraffin and oils not safe for consumption.
I checked with the company that makes the pellets that I use in my home pellet heater. They are made exactly the same as the ones for cooking are. Nothing but wood and water are used in the process. They even have a pellet grill that the employees use all of the time with their pellets. Hardwood pellets are the ones you want. I used them in my smoker and they were fine. I might mix them with some Hickory pellets. They are only $5 for 40 lbs.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Keeper

AND that was my first post on this site... Glad to be here. Seems like a good bunch of people here.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally66 View Post
I checked with the company that makes the pellets that I use in my home pellet heater. They are made exactly the same as the ones for cooking are. Nothing but wood and water are used in the process. They even have a pellet grill that the employees use all of the time with their pellets. Hardwood pellets are the ones you want. I used them in my smoker and they were fine. I might mix them with some Hickory pellets. They are only $5 for 40 lbs.

They may have worked fine. A few things to consider.

There is a reason that the cooking pellets cost significantly more, and there is much debate by some trying to save $15 bucks a bag. (Google heating pellets verses cooking pellets.) I understand that. However heating pellets are not made with food grade dies, lubricants to get them through the dies, holding bins, etc. Risking the health of family and friends does not seem worth saving a few bucks for me.

On another note, welcome to walleye central!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Keeper

Default Good read for pellet grill owners

Quote:
They may have worked fine. A few things to consider.

There is a reason that the cooking pellets cost significantly more, and there is much debate by some trying to save $15 bucks a bag. (Google heating pellets verses cooking pellets.) I understand that. However heating pellets are not made with food grade dies, lubricants to get them through the dies, holding bins, etc. Risking the health of family and friends does not seem worth saving a few bucks for me.

On another note, welcome to walleye central!
This says it all. Lot of great info here about the myths of wood pellets. http://seriousbirder.com/blogs/what-...-wood-pellets/
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Keeper

Smile Daniel Boone

My GMG Daniel Boone should be delivered to my house in about an hour. I am pumped. Will do the initial burn and then I need to think of what to cook first. Tough decision.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I always like breaking in new smokers by smoking some fatties.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140058
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Keeper

Default Fatties

Quote:
I always like breaking in new smokers by smoking some fatties.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140058
Now that is a great idea. Thanks Reels I have never actually done one. Do you slice it for sandwichs then?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Yep, I just slice them into pucks. My wife has chopped them and put in her breakfast casserole.

I pick up a bunch when on sale, and freeze most after smoking them. Easy to pull out the night before for breakfast.

Another thing I like to do on a new smoker is get a roll of pillsbury biscuits and place in the corners, ends and middle to learn where if any hot spots are and heck, who doesn't like a warm biscuit with butter?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Keeper

Default Fatty

WOW!! What a great Fattie tutorial. I will be heading into town for some Jimmy Dean. Thanks for the tip.