Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Prop Testing — What info to include? Range 621FS Cup - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-17-2020, 03:21 PM
Keeper

Default Prop Testing — What info to include? Ranger 621FS Cup

I have 3 props that I can test...

Boat:
2020 Ranger 621 FS Cup w/ 350 Verado and 15 EFI Kicker and Atlas Jackplate

Props:
22p Bravo FS
23p Bravo FS
23.5p Bravo LT

I will also have some USP Marine Tuning Parts coming (High Flow Air Intake Pipe and High-Flow Boost Pipe Kit) coming that I could do back to back testing with.

Would this be information that anyone would care about? I won’t waste my time documenting anything if no one cares

If it would add benefit to the community just let me know what you want to have for information so I can document it all.

Last edited by Kouki7; 06-17-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Slot Fish

It would be great info!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2020, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki7 View Post
I have 3 props that I can test...

Boat:
2020 Ranger 621 FS Cup w/ 350 Verado and 15 EFI Kicker and Atlas Jackplate

Props:
22p Bravo FS
23p Bravo FS
23.5p Bravo LT

I will also have some USP Marine Tuning Parts coming (High Flow Air Intake Pipe and High-Flow Boost Pipe Kit) coming that I could do back to back testing with.

Would this be information that anyone would care about? I won’t waste my time documenting anything if no one cares

If it would add benefit to the community just let me know what you want to have for information so I can document it all.
Prop testing data is always valuable, even if just for your own records. I try to record all my data and keep it in a spreadsheet. My memory can be pretty hazy, and it's always nice to be able to go back to the actual numbers.

Speed, RPM, trim setting, engine height, and prop slip for starters. I also try to record some gph numbers, holeshot times, and min. planing speeds. Lastly, any notes about differences and pros/cons of handling.

I'm also careful to note the conditions when testing - fuel load, boat load, wind, air and water temperature, humidity if possible, and altitude.

It only takes a minute to make a few notes and 5-10 minutes to get it organized. You'll never regret it.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Keeper

Thanks Waxy!

I want to try to provide some valuable details to the community so I’ll try to take a lot of notes. I might talk to USP also to see if they have any suggestions as they tune them. It might not be quite apples to apples since they are used to triple/quads off shore boats.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:08 AM
Keeper

I’d like to see your prop slip calculations with different props at different RPM included in your data.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Keeper

I plan to do this over next weekend.

I did try the Bravo LT on Saturday with 4 people and full livewell and the hole shot was meh,but it has a really nice handling characteristic compared to the FS. I need to do some research on some of the vocabulary to make sure my findings are relevant.

I will utilize the Mercury Prop Slip Calculator App.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD1A2694-FFA6-4DC4-BDA8-11DAE9529294.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	319720  
Old 06-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Minnow

I have the same rig (621 cup w/ 350 V-rod) and tested several props last summer ranging from 22p down to 20p. All the props you have listed will more than likely provide a "meh" hole shot, as you described it, with 4 in the boat.

The LT will certainly give you better handling than the FS in my opinion - better control on where you can put your bow and definitely lifts the stern.

I settled on a 20p LT for my everyday set up due to the better hole shot (I usually have 3 or more in my boat), overall performance on big water, and it only lost a little of the top end due to RPM increase with the 20p.

For a 2 man tourney set up on flat water I go back to the 22p FS for the slightly better top end. Rough or big water I stick with the 20p LT as handling in those conditions means more than top end speed.

Don't be afraid to drop down in pitch if you have room on your RPMs. I would have tried a 19p LT for my everyday set up, but I didn't have access to one.

My son had a ball with the stopwatch and keeping records on time to plain, time to top speed, top speed upwind, top speed downwind, etc...

Have fun with it.