Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Deep Trolling - Any Advice? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Not the most fun way to fish, but lead core is always an option. They say some lures will dive 25' or more, but I haven't had luck getting them down that far without weight of some sort and the lures that dive the deepest, don't plan on holding the rod and trolling as you will either get pulled out of the boat or your arms will fall of by mid-morning. At least with lead core you can use smaller plugs and at least hold the rod and actually feel the fish hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2021, 08:03 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumcfar View Post
Not the most fun way to fish, but lead core is always an option. They say some lures will dive 25' or more, but I haven't had luck getting them down that far without weight of some sort and the lures that dive the deepest, don't plan on holding the rod and trolling as you will either get pulled out of the boat or your arms will fall of by mid-morning. At least with lead core you can use smaller plugs and at least hold the rod and actually feel the fish hit.
I was actually doing some leadcore research recently. I agree with you in that I like to hold the rod to actually feel the hit. I'm probably over complicating things and should just do what I know how to do, I just have never fished 20 -25' deep before so making sure I have a few techniques to try.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

20-25 feet is not really that deep, and we fish this time of year all the time in Canada. Don't get caught up in the I have to fish deep until the fish tell you they are there.

Find the mid-lake humps and reefs anything in a group that is coming up 25 - 10 feet of water and put on a 2-3 ounce bottom bouncer and drag some crawler or minnow harnesses across those area's. Once you find them anchor or spot lock on that point and work them over with 1/4ounce jigs.

Anything deeper and 35 feet and you will start killing walleye's anyway.

you can put on some deep diving crankbaits like reef runners or walleye divers and with enough line out still get down in that 18ft range just long lining if you feel the need to troll.

I guess my advice since I fish this time of year all the time in Canada is don't over think it. Start shallow work deep. I am sure you will find as I have that the fishing is as good or better than in the spring, and typically I don't fish anything deeper than 18feet and find plenty of walleye. Once you find them they will be bunched up.

Good luck,
Old 07-27-2021, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

I would troll Rapala Deep Tail Dancers TDD-09 or TDD-11, use blade baits/rip baits like the Rapala Rippin' Rap/RapV or Johnson ThinFisher etc, or just jig with a 1/2-1oz jig.

As mentioned, you could also just add 2oz of weight and use whatever shallow cranks you have or go with slo-death/harness etc.

You could also drift Lindy rigs if you are targeting the bottom and not suspended fish.

I think it gets more challenging in 35-40+ FOW, but for me that's more of a Lake Trout depth.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Keeper

Rapala DHJ-12's will troll to about 19' and pull lots of walleye for us on Lake Erie and its tributaries.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 12:21 PM
Minnow

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am probably overthinking things, but have certainly picked up a few new ideas to try. I'll report back on results.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Keeper

We typically fish the 3rd week of August and find walleyes anywhere from 25 feet to 5 feet
For trolling crank baits we tend to focus on water between 18 and 5 feet. Go to lures are hot n tots, flicker shade and rapala tail dancers

We also catch a lot of fish trolling bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses
That would be our go to bait for 15 to 25 feet to locate fish and then we will try to sit on them and jig if we find a concentration of fish. I prefer a 1 to 2 ounce bouncer with a 4 or 5 Colorado double hook harness w a 6
Foot leader. Key is to keep your line on the bottom as much as possible so play w speed and long angle

Have a blast!
Andrew
Old 07-28-2021, 01:16 PM
Minnow

Default Use Jetdivers or bottom bouncer rigs

Jets now have a 10 & 20 ft model with a release like a dipsey does. Use in larger area of deep water.
The bouncers are easy to adjust depth by feel and retrieving ot letting out line with even just a regular floating type bait that does not dive mush