Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing report lakes oahe/sharpe pierre area for june 19th and 20th 2020 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-21-2020, 07:37 AM
Keeper

Default Fishing report lakes oahe/sharpe pierre area for june 19th and 20th 2020

FIRE LOL that is the word everyone likes to use when the fishing is excellent so right now the best way to describe the bite on both lakes especially Oahe is the lake is on fire. Just about everyone is catching lots of walleye’s. I just finished a two day trip with the Curry family a father and three boys. Just as nice a bunch of guys as you would want to guide. They had great weather and both days we put the boat in around eight and had twenty walleyes in the boat by one o'clock. We threw a lot of smaller fish back and especially day one they had exceptional fish with a couple of over 20 inchers and lots of 18 to 19 inch really healthy fish. We caught all of these fish in 12 fow or less on small blade spinner nightcrawler bouncer rigs. I think if you want though you can catch them on minnows leeches or even pulling plugs. Right now the fish are very active so a lot of methods work. There are boats everywhere so be prepared for busy cleaning stations and boat ramps full of trailers. This is stacking up to be an exceptional year and I think throwing a complement to our GF&Parks for generating the bait and fish that are in Oahe is in order. The lake is full of bait and full of fish and great year class action for 17 to 19 inch fish. I think these guys deserve at least recognition for some of this. Sharpe is still going strong and as a result of that taking a little traffic that way but busy is the word on both lakes. This time of the year listening to reliable weather reports and keeping an eye to the sky should be a plan for all of us as strong storms can pop up real fast and get trouble started. I have been caught many times over the years so doing what you can to stay informed and safe is essential to every trp. Remember that if you see a storm coming waiting for that last bite can get you at a boat ramp with 25 other boats circling waiting to load so leaving a head of the crowd sometimes can avoid sitting under a 5 gallon bucket in your boat with hail beating on it. Yes I speak from experience .A little humor now but for sure not then. Sunscreen Bug Spray and extra pair of long pants if wearing Bermuda shorts are good things in your boat.

Hutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2020, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

Great Post! Thank you.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

I agree on the quality of fish, when you find them. We were up the last 4 days and I wouldnt say the fishing was easy by any stretch. We know what we are doing up there and were able to grind out limits of really good fish, but it was a grind. Fish seemed to be very spread out on the south end of the big lake. We were keeping 17” and above and caught a couple in every creek within ten miles to the north. Caught them casting, caught them on jigging raps, caught them dragging crawlers, and caught them pulling cranks. Weather was dang nice, probably a little too nice. Best bite between 8 and 11 am. When the sun got high it was a real grind.

Reports from the many boats at the cleaning stations were very mixed. A few folks had limits of mixed fish. Many considered the fishing very slow.

Heard good reports on smaller fish at west bend on sharpe and off of the Cheyenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Minnow

I agree with WallyWarrior. We also fished the southern end this weekend. Friday was good for us and we were able to find many 17-19" fish. Saturday was a struggle to find fish over 14". The fish are constantly moving. The area we did so good on Friday, there wasn't a fish to be found on Saturday. Most of these guide are going up to the Cheyenne where fishing has been better.