Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rainy lake MN - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Keeper

Default Rainy lake MN

So our backup plan is in affect and our group is headed to Rainy lake for a week in replacement of our Canada trip this year. we are headed up mid August and looking for tip or tricks for fishing that lake mid August. anyone else book a replacement trip this year? thanks for the help and tight lines friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 AM
Slot Fish

Same here, we will be headed up shortly after you.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Keeper

The best fishing then should be on mid lake reefs. If fish on top aren't biting try the transition on edge.
Rainy has been seeing a lot of pressure this year with more activity and no one able to fish the Canadian side. Think about fishing just before dark or very early in morning. Also bottom bouncing with half a crawler can work when fish are scattered.
I assume you have a lake chip, if not get one. Lots of dangerous rocks in Rainy, go slow anytime in less then 10ft of water.

good luck
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Keeper

To bridge this thread w a Canada element, we too made reservations for a houseboat in September on Rainy Lake. For the last 10 years or so we did two Canada trips per year- and loved every bit of it.
However, like most things in life, there is no guaranty that one or both of the trips aren’t replaceable. I’ve no idea what a week on a houseboat on Rainy in September will be like. What if it’s great? If so, we certainly face a decision next year that we never would have considered if the border wasn’t closed. This isn’t an argument against closing the border, I’m just pointing out the possibility of future lost business simply because we tried something new.

I don’t imagine the fishing on the MN side will compete well w where we go in Canada, but the combined experience might.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Just follow the giant parade of boats that are all sitting on off-shore structure.

Or if you want to get away from the crowds, look for current or nice green weed beds - both will hold walleye.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Minnow

we also went to plan b and are doing a rainy lake houseboat trip Aug 22-29. some fishing is better than no fishing!
Old 08-06-2020, 07:33 AM
Minnow

We decided to audible to a Rainy Lake houseboat trip as well (wheels should have been rolling North to Morson at 5:01 this evening) ... Will be up on Rainy September 9 - 13, and looking forward to it!
Old 08-19-2020, 08:16 AM
Slot Fish

We will be up there at this time next week. Any reports?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingMN4eyes View Post
We will be up there at this time next week. Any reports?
If the fishing is anything like the reports on Kabetogama, you may not want to know.
I hope you get into a great bite. As we’ve all experienced, things change quickly.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:10 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma17 View Post
If the fishing is anything like the reports on Kabetogama, you may not want to know.
I hope you get into a great bite. As we’ve all experienced, things change quickly.
Yeah, I think I've seen a few of those Kab reports you're alluding to. We'll see what happens. I hope we can find fish. But as you said in the other thread, I'm trying to temper the expectations and just enjoy getting away. And yes, we already have lighted bobber rigs ready to try off the back of the boat during cigar hour