Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hitting Ashlund in early July? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hitting Ashlund in early July?

Gonna hit Ashland Wisc in early July, seems the bay is shallow and walleyes are caught there and the deep water is for trout/salmon.

Never been there, they tell me it's nice...

Any suggestions?
TIA

Al
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Gonna hit Ashland Wisc in early July, seems the bay is shallow and walleyes are caught there and the deep water is for trout/salmon.

Never been there, they tell me it's nice...

Any suggestions?
TIA

Al
The guide I'm using up there at that time has been telling me he has a "limit or no pay" policy, of course he keeps talking about fishing for carp,,,,

HRG
Old 06-27-2021, 12:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
The guide I'm using up there at that time has been telling me he has a "limit or no pay" policy, of course he keeps talking about fishing for carp,,,,

HRG
One must be specific when hiring a guide, just saying you want to catch fish, does leave a bit of leeway for the guide.

Al...who needs a lot of leeway.

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2021, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Fishing was tough this last week, Fri, and Sat. I started out just on the outside edge of weeds around 12-13 feet of water pulling boards, and just kept slowly moving in around Oak point. I was specifically trying to target walleye's. At certain points I targeted some very well defined weed edges around 7-8 feet casting and jigging. We then worked the area with crawler harnesses all the way into about 5-6 feet of water. Typically can pick up a walleye or several but nothing happening last weekend. Only boated a few perch. Headed out between long Island and Madeline and started putting lakers in the boat, caught them as high as 10ft in the water column to 100ft. Hopefully the walleye fishing will turn on, talked to several boats not much action, a few smallmouth or walleye here or there. I definitely had better success trout fishing. Will give it another go in a couple weeks either out of Washburn, or South Shore out of the Wisconsin entry once I get through the holiday weekend.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidedfishing View Post
Fishing was tough this last week, Fri, and Sat. I started out just on the outside edge of weeds around 12-13 feet of water pulling boards, and just kept slowly moving in around Oak point. I was specifically trying to target walleye's. At certain points I targeted some very well defined weed edges around 7-8 feet casting and jigging. We then worked the area with crawler harnesses all the way into about 5-6 feet of water. Typically can pick up a walleye or several but nothing happening last weekend. Only boated a few perch. Headed out between long Island and Madeline and started putting lakers in the boat, caught them as high as 10ft in the water column to 100ft. Hopefully the walleye fishing will turn on, talked to several boats not much action, a few smallmouth or walleye here or there. I definitely had better success trout fishing. Will give it another go in a couple weeks either out of Washburn, or South Shore out of the Wisconsin entry once I get through the holiday weekend.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, always nice to get at least a starting point.

Al