Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kayaks, canoes, etc want more without paying their share - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default Kayaks, canoes, etc want more without paying their share

This article talks about our money being spent for more water access for canoes, kayaks and paddleboards but I have concerns with money spent from power/sail boaters fund to build dedicated launch areas for them. Here in Buffalo Harbor it cost $8 for boats to launch all the while personal crafts, canoes, kayaks, etc have their own dedicated launch and parking area FREE of charge....WHY ! ! !

Then 2 years ago the kayak people complained to the Coast Guard about boats going faster then 10 miles per hour in the outer harbor so they posted signs everywhere that according to a speed limit set way back in the 1940's you must keep your speed under 10 mph. Then a year later all the signs disappeared and it's back to no speed limit.

What I am saying the kayak people all of sudden want to set the standards for THEIR own good while for all these years the money collected from us boaters paid for all the improvements for water access via various excise taxes. Why kayaks, canoes, etc don't even pay registration fees for their vessels.

https://www.boatus.com/news-room/rel...elping-to-en-1
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing some astute politician is going to figure this out soon and start forcing kayaks and canoes to pay a fee of some sort. Not for the improvements but strictly for the additional revenue stream. I am kinda shocked it hasn't happened yet in MN.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

In most states, boat registration goes into the general fund. While in almost all states fishing license sales goes into the DNR, which goes for boat launches and fish programs. So non-motorized fishing boats are plus in my book. Non-motorized boats that don't fish are a burden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Wallhanger

Michigan 100% funds its access sites with boater registration and a portion of the gas tax, which works pretty well. A few years ago registering canoes and kayaks was brought up and it went nowhere. Im sure there was opposition from manufacturers and suppliers. There was also some concern that forcing registration would give paddle sports more leverage to demand things like no wake and no motor areas. I can see that happening. The more they pay the more say they should have, right?

Anyone who uses a State access site also has to buy a “passport” for their license plate. The passport gets you into State Parks and recreation areas as well. $10. Pretty darn cheap imo. The Parks window sticker was $21 and didn’t count for many access sites. Right now you have to request the P, I think next year you’ll have to opt out. It even got me into a park in Maine once.

I’m good with our system. Doesn’t Ohio register all water craft and including float tubes?
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
I'm guessing some astute politician is going to figure this out soon and start forcing kayaks and canoes to pay a fee of some sort. Not for the improvements but strictly for the additional revenue stream. I am kinda shocked it hasn't happened yet in MN.
Canoes and kayaks over 10' already have to have a watercraft license in MN just like a bigger boat. Anything smaller than that is usually used more as a beach toy anyway so they wouldn't need much infrastructure.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Wallhanger

They are all a real pita in Colorado. Luckily I live away from the metro lakes and ponds but I hear about frequent negative interactions between shore fisherman and paddle boarders. They take over most ponds in the Denver area during the summer.

No fees for yaks canoes or paddle boards unless they have a gas or electric motor.
BT terrova link
Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 AM
Wallhanger

Default "Fishing Without a Fancy Boat"

2020,Will hear this from time to time. Minnesota is looking to increase shore fishing opportunities and angling from kayaks and canoes. This is also mentioned in the 7 research projects I have received reports as a means to increase and maintain license sales.

I am a kayak angler and hunter to solve a lot of problems that happen with engagements non-motorized and motorized traffic simply amounts to reading and understanding the rules in place.

I have a lemon yellow kayak for fishing, pontoon operators don't see me. Nonmotorized vessels have the right away, that means sail boats, kayaks, row boats etc.

Wish their was a requirement or a measure to make anyone that purchases water craft understand the guidelines which amounts to common courtesy and common sense. Personally don't want to see more restrictions
Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

When on the water common courtesy and common sense are as common as a phone booth.

I would like to see a provision where paddled vessels have to have a 6' antenna style thing with a flag on it to make them more visible to boats. I have no problem slowing when around them, problem is I don't always see them.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

Just like toy drones or croissants - paddle boards and kayaks are the big item now, but it won't be in more than a couple of years where 90% go into a landfill, leaving just the dedicated comparatively few to continue to use them. By which time we will find whatever hot-new-thing it is that is ruining everything to complain about.

Very small craft launch points I am sure are much lower cost and impact to establish - and then they don't plug up the real launches I need for my boat, so I am fine with "my" $$ paying for them.

The big issue is that "improvements" like this seem to never go away. On my local lake, once the waters finally came up enough to do so, old sailboat docks/launches were re-established...despite the fact that there was no longer a need - the numbers just aren't there anymore to use them. But the dedicated few put on a full court press to bring back what they had back in the day when they were really needed...
Old 12-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

I fish a small river north of Milwaukee and the canoe/kayak crowd has 5 launches to 1 boat launch. THEY and I mean THEY all use the boat launch....less than 100 yards away is there own launch!!!! I guess they don't like the wooden steps all 5 of them and prefer the launch. DRIVES ME NUTS! They also apparently own the river. Every time I go by one either at slow speed or WOT they whine. River has a lot of curves and they are stupid enough to run in the middle a lot of the time around all these corners. Like I said they drive me nuts. These things can't go away soon enough.