Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1875 impact sport top speed - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM
TackleJunky TackleJunky is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
The Mercury Boathouse Bulletins manager and I did 2016 testing for Lund last spring.
The 19 tempest was the fastest we tested on similar (ie: 1875 Crossover w/ Merc 150 4/Stroke).
49.6 mph. @5650 rpm ...with 2 of us and a less than a tournament load was the best we did.

The results of all Lund tests should start showing up on in the not too distant future.https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ests/outboard/

PS: Lund no longer recommends Inertia on Lund aluminum hulls.
Lund doesn't offer it as a package option for them, either
Hey T-Mac this is an old thread but my dealer just mailed me an Enertia 19p to try on my 2019 2025 Impact XS/2019 Merc 200 V6 (4 31 size AGM/Xi5, no kicker). I started with a 19p Tempest Plus and didn't love it (rpm's a little low and vibration at slow speed which I believe is expected/normal). I tried the 17p Tempest Plus Saturday and didn't like it at all.

My plan is to try the Enertia 19p and if I don't like it better than the Tempest 19p I'll settle on the Tempest 19. Motor is standard 2nd hole from the top

Any thoughts? Dealer said some of his customers prefer the smoothness and speed of the Enertia so worth a shot?

Thanks man.

Rick
__________________
2019 Lund 2025 Impact XS
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 35,989
Default

Paul,
For folks that want to increase the top speed of their rigs, the most effective way to increase the top speed is to double the hp that is hanging on the stern of the boat.

So, I am reasonably certain, that if you hung a 300hp motor on the stern of the boat, that the boat would be really fast as long as the boat stayed on top of the water and as long as the transom stayed in the boat without ripping anything else apart on the rig.

In a word -
Pretty common for a deep V multi purpose boat to run at speeds ranging from 30-45 mph.

For the typical hull of this type, to go faster than the common 45 mph, normally the most efficient way to do it is to add HP.

You can remove weight from the boat. Everyone that is in the boat can go on a diet. You can remove the trolling motor, all of the tackle, rods reels and any extra gear except a paddle, anchor and a life jacket for the 100 lb person that is driving the boat and the boat will be quite a bit faster than if it is loaded down with 1500 to 2000 lbs of gear and passengers.

---------------------------
I have asked this before, but if you put your boat in the driveway, and remove everything from the boat that is not required for the boat to run - how much weight did you take from your boat?

i.e. a boat needs about 5 gallons of gas, a starting battery, a paddle to help out for emergency, and an anchor and rope to hold up safely in the event of a storm. Then, you need an ultra light weight driver to drive the rig. Of course you will have your best single prop on the engine with no other spares, no tools and no fishing equipment and no extra depth finders.

Go weigh the boat before you take it for a run.

Then, after the exercise, load up the boat as usual, and go weigh the boat, with all of the folks in the boat that are going to be in the boat along with all tackle, gear, coolers, lunches and accessories.

Let us all know the difference in weight of the two setups and also the speed differences with the two different setups.

----------------------

In a word, the more heavily the boat is loaded, the deeper into the water the boat sinks, and the more water it displaces when the motor tries to move the boat. More power is required to move a boat at the same speed that is heavily loaded compared to the same boat this is loaded much more lightly.

====================================
But, if you are going to stay with your existing motor, try to have the motor mounted as high as possible and still have the prop stayed hooked up.

Along with raising the motor use a prop that has a high rake that will tend to better lift the bow and to also stay hooked up better when running with a high motor position.

You can also call some of the very good prop rework folks around the country and have a custom prop made for you and your particular motor.

You can also, take your motor in and have it blue printed to insure that you are getting the greatest amount of power that is possible from your motor.

----------------
If you do all of these things, you can likely get it done for under $10,000 and you may gain 3-5 mph from your rig.

Bottom line, once a boats hull is on plane, it takes an awful lot more power to make any substantial increases in the top speed of the hull.

---------------------
summary -
Do what makes you happy to better enjoy your time on the water. But, simply realize that in the world of boats and motors, much money has to be spent to slightly increase the speed of the boat under normal circumstances.

But, please enjoy the water, enjoy your boat, and enjoy your time on the water with family and friends, doing what you like to do best.

======================
My wife and I still talk of all of the hours and hours that we spent during the teen age years of our children pulling them around local lakes water skiing in the evening until the moon rose over the quiet waters. So many happy memories of time on the water doing so many different things.

Like the time we took out our 10 foot snow toboggan and used it to see how many folks we could fit on the curved piece of wood and get everyone up and flying across the water.

Or the time that my oldest tried to get up on a canoe paddle, which he actually did for quite a ways.

Or the times that we would take 3 foot circles of plywood and take them for a turn across the water doing spins on the piece of wood as we cruised across the water.

Then, this last weekend when my youngest son and I hopped into his water Taxi - which is a 15 foot yarcraft tri hull with a new outboard on the back and explore the back waters of the Mississippi river and discover new fishing spots.

So many memories of very happy times in boats of all types in all different waters at speeds ranging from 0 to 80 mph. Sometimes the speeds of under 5 mph were a lot more fun than flying across the water at 80 mph.

Just use your days to create memories that you will enjoy in the ensuing years.

Be safe
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 PM
T Mac's Avatar
T Mac T Mac is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Broadwater County, Montana.
Posts: 9,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleJunky View Post
Hey T-Mac this is an old thread but my dealer just mailed me an Enertia 19p to try on my 2019 2025 Impact XS/2019 Merc 200 V6 (4 31 size AGM/Xi5, no kicker). I started with a 19p Tempest Plus and didn't love it (rpm's a little low and vibration at slow speed which I believe is expected/normal). I tried the 17p Tempest Plus Saturday and didn't like it at all.

My plan is to try the Enertia 19p and if I don't like it better than the Tempest 19p I'll settle on the Tempest 19. Motor is standard 2nd hole from the top

Any thoughts? Dealer said some of his customers prefer the smoothness and speed of the Enertia so worth a shot?

Thanks man.

Rick
If your Dealer mailed you an Inertia to try... He's one heck of a good dealer. !
Give her a try, man. It might be just what you are looking for !

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 PM
TackleJunky TackleJunky is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
If your Dealer mailed you an Inertia to try... He's one heck of a good dealer. !
Give her a try, man. It might be just what you are looking for !

A good dealer indeed! That's why I bought 3 hours away vs 45 mins......

I can't try it until next week; but I'm hopeful it will work very well for my needs.

Thanks.

Rick
__________________
2019 Lund 2025 Impact XS
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 AM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 35,989
Default

One thing that can actually help quite a bit for certain conditions to increase top speed and that is to add a short setback jack plate.

The cost is reasonable, and with the use of the hydraulic electric jack plate, the operator of the boat can keep the height of his motor dialed in at the highest possible setting that the motor and prop is capable of running for the current set of water, wind and wave conditions.

With a fixed motor height setting, the height is a compromise. It is a compromise on prop bite for hole shot and prop ventilation if the prop gets too high when running fast.

But, with appropriate use of a good jack plate, you can get the very best performance form your boat, prop, and motor.

An Atlas Jack Plate:
https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...lic-jack-plate

https://bobsmachine.com/product-cate...-and-trim-etc/

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/jack-plates

================================
Before adding any jack plate to the transom of your boat, check with the manufacturer and verify that the particular jack plate that you wish to install is rated to work with your boat.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Boondock Boondock is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pueblo west, co
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
One thing that can actually help quite a bit for certain conditions to increase top speed and that is to add a short setback jack plate.

The cost is reasonable, and with the use of the hydraulic electric jack plate, the operator of the boat can keep the height of his motor dialed in at the highest possible setting that the motor and prop is capable of running for the current set of water, wind and wave conditions.

With a fixed motor height setting, the height is a compromise. It is a compromise on prop bite for hole shot and prop ventilation if the prop gets too high when running fast.

But, with appropriate use of a good jack plate, you can get the very best performance form your boat, prop, and motor.

An Atlas Jack Plate:
https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...lic-jack-plate

https://bobsmachine.com/product-cate...-and-trim-etc/

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/jack-plates

================================
Before adding any jack plate to the transom of your boat, check with the manufacturer and verify that the particular jack plate that you wish to install is rated to work with your boat.

Best wishes.
Lund warranty gone with a jackplate
Odd aluminum boat manufactures donít use them in general.
__________________
13 Lund impact 1775
1.7l 115 merc 4 stroke
2 helix si 10's
BT terrova link
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:27 PM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 35,989
Default

Interesting discussion as follows:

https://www.mercuryracing.com/walleye-master/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 PM
T Mac's Avatar
T Mac T Mac is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Broadwater County, Montana.
Posts: 9,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post

Lund warranty gone with a jackplate
Odd aluminum boat manufactures don’t use them in general.
Used to be that way... but not for a few years.
I got that from Director of Manufacturing (was head of Customer Service for years beforehand)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 AM
TackleJunky TackleJunky is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Used to be that way... but not for a few years.
I got that from Director of Manufacturing (was head of Customer Service for years beforehand)
So jackplates on a Lund are good to go?? Never had one on a boat but would be cool to be able to raise/lower like that.

Rick
__________________
2019 Lund 2025 Impact XS
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.