Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Does using a senko/tube worm multiple times loose it's effectiveness? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Keeper

Default Does using a senko/tube worm multiple times loose it's effectiveness?

I've just recently started fishing a lake with a lot of bass and using tube worms wacky style. I've noticed a couple of times now that if I replace a worm that I've used multiple times with a fresh one that I'll get a strike. I'm assuming it's due to the fresh salt/scent of the new one. I'm throwing Gary Yamamoto's and Kalin's pumpkin seed color. What are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Your experience is telling you the tale.
Use your experience to learn the best way to use your equipment.

Be safe
Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Your experience is telling you the tale.
Use your experience to learn the best way to use your equipment.

Be safe
REW,
I'm getting the impression, that you watched Kung Fu when you were younger...you seem to act as though everyone is grasshopper, and you are the wise master!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

I use mine over and over again without any real noticeable difference. The various natural colors work best in clear water, and I also like the green pumpkin with red flakes, although it does tend to attract more toothy critters. I use the o-rings when I fish wacky style or Senkos will tear up quickly. Good luck. They are a very fun way to fish. I generally fish them Carolina Rigged, but will fish them Texas Rigged, with a weight inserted, or weightless.
Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 + Structure Scan + Point-1 (Dash)
Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 (Bow)
I may not always catch fish, but I can always go fast!
Old 08-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
I use mine over and over again without any real noticeable difference. The various natural colors work best in clear water, and I also like the green pumpkin with red flakes, although it does tend to attract more toothy critters. I use the o-rings when I fish wacky style or Senkos will tear up quickly. Good luck. They are a very fun way to fish. I generally fish them Carolina Rigged, but will fish them Texas Rigged, with a weight inserted, or weightless.
I might be mistaken but I think the OP was meaning when he puts a fresh senko on. I think the fresh scent and salt both help in that regard. I usually only get 2 or 3 fish before the senko is pretty tore up anyway. Bob
Old 08-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I might be mistaken but I think the OP was meaning when he puts a fresh senko on. I think the fresh scent and salt both help in that regard. I usually only get 2 or 3 fish before the senko is pretty tore up anyway. Bob
Yup, that's what I meant in my first sentence about using them over and over again. I'll fish all day with the same Senko unless it gets messed up and starts sliding down my hook. Even then I'll turn it around and insert the hook in the opposite end. I'll even use the same one tomorrow as today if it's not too torn up. I can't say I've noticed a difference between a fresh one and one I've been using a while. When there's a good bite on they do get torn up pretty quickly and it becomes a moot point.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I think the fresh scent and salt both help in that regard. I usually only get 2 or 3 fish before the senko is pretty tore up anyway. Bob
The 2-3 fish max per senko is my experience as well. Around 2 is average.

Concerning the original point the poster raised, I have the impression that the fall rate and action of the senko changes slightly as it "soaks" longer in the water. Maybe the salt concentration decreases while in water and the water intrusion changes the buoyancy somewhat. Not sure if my perceptions are accurate or not but a change to a fresh senko does seem to improve the catch rate at times.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Cutting Edge,
No Kung Fue, but I had a father with this advice:

If you don't know how or don't know what to do, educate your self and figure it out.

I have tried to follow his advice as I have traveled down the path called life.

I enjoy mechanical puzzles and the satisfaction is finding the solution to the puzzle or problem.

He also said, listen to others, but reach your own conclusion.

Be safe and take care
Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Wallhanger

Yamamoto senkos are expensive and short lived. The Kalins last much longer and are less expensive. Honestly, if I can get more than one fish on a bait, I'm ahead of the game. Senkos are so soft from the heavy salt content, that you may not even catch a fish on one, before it is ripped up enough that it is unusable, just from repeated casts. If I go thru 3 packs of worms in a 50 bass day, I'm good with that.

2013 Lund Predator 2010
2013 Mercury 225 Pro XS
112lb Terrova Ipilot Link
1198/1199
8ft Talon

1970 Lund 14 footer
1960's Evinrude 15hp
Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 AM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Cutting Edge,
No Kung Fue, but I had a father with this advice:

If you don't know how or don't know what to do, educate your self and figure it out.

I have tried to follow his advice as I have traveled down the path called life.

I enjoy mechanical puzzles and the satisfaction is finding the solution to the puzzle or problem.

He also said, listen to others, but reach your own conclusion.

Be safe and take care
REW,
Read bigdaddyguns response...as well as some of the others...do you notice that they actually seemed to understand the OPs question and have an answer that may be helpful?
REW,
The question was pretty simple to understand. Question (basically): Does anyone else notice, when using said bait or maybe any soft plastic, that it makes a difference if you take a previously used bait and switch to a new one, that the new bait, seems to be productive when the older one seemed to be less effective for one reason or another? No life lesson is needed...just an answer! It's ok to not answer if you don't have a real answer that actually helps.

I don't think the OP was really searching for a scientific factual answer, but more of a curiosity type of deal...does anyone else notice when you switch to a new bait that it somehow seems to matter? That's it!