Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much does storms/fronts affect fishing in canada? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Minnow

Default How much does storms/fronts affect fishing in canada?

I know down here in more shallow lakes in iowa storms/fronts play a major impact on fishing for walleyes...how do the storms/fronts impact the walleye fishing in the canadian lakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Not sure about walleye, but the best smallmouth day I have ever had when we were driven off the water by a storm and we fished the way back to the dock and caught more fish than we could count in about an hour.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

Storms are like drugs (not that I use them)... they'll get you high, but eventually you come down, and it can be bad.

I like stable weather. Give me 75, partly cloudy for a week straight. It might not be the greatest of your life, but it is consistent and easy.

Post-frontal fishing can be bad at times. Pre or during can be unbelievable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Keeper

Default Fronts

Obabikon response is spot on. We fished our lake perfect time of the year only to get non stop fronts all week. Fishing ranged from unbelievable (Canada) to real tough for most of the day.
The last evening we there. I am fishing a current seam an first fish was 17 supper fish.
For the next 20 minutes as a big storm approached we could not catch a fish under 20, cast after cast beautiful heavy fish. It was the best fishing I had all week an did not want to leave.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Keeper

I prefer upper 60s, low 70s partly cloudy all week. Low 50s at night! I get plenty of sun and heat in Colorado.

Keeping the temps consistent for the week is my preference. A rain storm here and there is fine too.

IMO, when the temps fluctuate all week 60s one day, 80s the next, big thunderstorms, etc... is when I think the fishing falls off a bit.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Slot Fish

IMO, severe fronts with high winds, thunder, and lots of lightning turn off fishing for a couple days. If you are on the water as this kind of front is approaching, fishing can be unbelievably good. Once that front passes, things get tough.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Waldorf

Fishing was great in Quebec for walleye and pike first day. That night big cold front comes through, Pike are gone out of the shallows for 2 days and walleye are biting just early and late on the points. So it really changed the fishing around. Not sure where the pike were, maybe just staging out a bit deeper, but definetely left the weeds.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Slot Fish

Default Air pressure

I came across an article a few years ago when I was looking for link between air pressure/barometer and the bite. The article seemed credible and the author claimed that a barometer reading between say 93-97 (memory might be a bit off) was best, and when the barometer was moving up or down---like when a storm front is moving in.

My son and I have always had our best walleye fishing when it's windy, drizzling and getting cold. Blue skies and high sun, pretty much zero. Barometer gets into the 30s.

Just our experience.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Long Dong Silver

Default Dong Says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapperJones View Post
I know down here in more shallow lakes in iowa storms/fronts play a major impact on fishing for walleyes...how do the storms/fronts impact the walleye fishing in the canadian lakes?
Low Pressure = High Pressure Fishing
Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms3rd View Post
I came across an article a few years ago when I was looking for link between air pressure/barometer and the bite. The article seemed credible and the author claimed that a barometer reading between say 93-97 (memory might be a bit off) was best, and when the barometer was moving up or down---like when a storm front is moving in.

My son and I have always had our best walleye fishing when it's windy, drizzling and getting cold. Blue skies and high sun, pretty much zero. Barometer gets into the 30s.

Just our experience.
I should have written 29.93 to 29.97.