Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any disabled vets want a couple days on Peck next spring? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Share A Seat

Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Minnow

Default Any disabled vets want a couple days on Peck next spring?

We fish Ft Peck out of a 28 ft Carver live aboard. I am a disabled combat vet myself and would love to share the boat with another vet or two for an overnighter on the lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Awesome offer. I hope some lucky vet takes you up on your offer.

Thanks for your service!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Minnow

I just saw this page finally and figured why not. Always good to go fishing and meet new folks.

I used to be a fly fishing outfitter out here for twenty years and did a lot of the 'official' WW trips and the like but really if just regular fishermen would take a disabled vet out now and again even more would be accomplished IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Keeper

Default Thank you sir!

Just wanted to say thank you to you for thinking to do this.

I work in a hospital and encounter ill, hurting, dying, confused or sad elderly every day. I learned early to try to find the "person" behind the illness, and I have been purposeful in bringing up "fishing" and "backwoods adventures" as I do the work with the patient that I need to do. Very rarely do these topics not illicit thoughts of very good times and I see a twinkle in an eye where there once was not.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

PM your address so I can send a donation for your worthy cause
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishwalleye View Post
PM your address so I can send a donation for your worthy cause

No need for that. But thanks. Need to find some vets!!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
Just wanted to say thank you to you for thinking to do this.

I work in a hospital and encounter ill, hurting, dying, confused or sad elderly every day. I learned early to try to find the "person" behind the illness, and I have been purposeful in bringing up "fishing" and "backwoods adventures" as I do the work with the patient that I need to do. Very rarely do these topics not illicit thoughts of very good times and I see a twinkle in an eye where there once was not.
I know what you are saying. I came back from the desert body and mind broken and thought I would never fish or hunt again. That left a huge hole in my life. I still have issues getting around a bit but the motivation to actually get back to the outdoors was a massive boost in terms of motivation and beating the physical wounds and as well as the PTSD side. The biggest thing getting a disabled combat vet back on track is purpose, be it working or resuming activities that one is or was passionate about. many of of us came back and lost passion for life itself. Regaining a passion for fishing or whatever is key to saving many vet's from ending it all.

The very best times I have had on the water over the past few years has been with fellow vets. Like you said about the twinkle in their eyes, the outdoors is magical. It is part of our being as humans IMO.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

As a retired, disabled vet myself I applaud your efforts and hope we can help you fill your boat. Getting the word out is the key
Old 12-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Keeper

Default Thanks Peck

There is a group out of port Clinton oh called walleyes for wounded heroes. They take Purple Heart vets and police and ems folks who have been injured in line of duty on a 4 day trip each June. I volunteer my boat and take on hero. Together we get about 100 heroes heroes on the water. This is 100% free to them with exception of license. Food lodging and all also covered. Great experience. Consider helping out in this effort.

If you can't actually take a hero, consider donating or even donating gear you no longer use which they will auction. Boat captains volunteer their boat, fuel and time and I can tell you that we captains get more b
Ack then we give. BTW I say captains, but I'm just a regular guy with a 19' Starcraft. Bottom line, we just want to get these heroes together and on the water.

Walleyes for wounded heroes has a Facebook page. MArk Romanik (Host of Fishing 411) participates each year and films a show there. Merry Christmas to all!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Minnow

Thats a great idea! I just purchased a boat and live in Bozeman. I go solo a lot and told my wife I would love to get involved with a group or even start something that would help vets get out on the water. Love the idea!