Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to drive in big water - Page 11 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_wi View Post
Truncated, post here
Great story. I had a very similar story from my childhood. My immediate family (3 people) were in one boat (A 18' Lund Tyee) and I was in a small aluminum tiller resort boat with a guide and my grandpa. This was probably like the year 1998 if I had to guess, on Lac Seul as well.

Anyways, we did a 21 mile run (~42 miles round trip) from Goose Bay Camp to Mackenzie Bay and a storm rolled in the late in the afternoon. It went from a calm day with two of us catching our personal bests and limiting out... to 3 to 3.5' waves in just a few minutes. A rough ride back. Midway through the ride back (probably as we exited Mackenzie, but before Steamboat), it was decided that my grandpa and I should get in the Lund, leaving the guide alone in his boat. We made it back, but it was an experience that we will never forget. There is a reason that lake is called Lac Seul, or "Lake Alone". If you go out there without the proper equipment and foresight, you'll be left stranded alone ashore.

It was that day I became a real fisherman. Never at any point were we in danger, the Tyee was pretty much adequate and being truly tested. It was a rough ride back though, very little space between the waves and we didn't have trim tabs. My sister was crying, but I remember it being a fun experience. Overall though, because of that experience, my Dad immediately sold that boat and bought a Lund 2150 Baron, the biggest Lund they make, and still owns it to this day.

I look forward to planning an annual trip there again and crushing those tea colored lac seul rollers with my future 20' boat (narrowed down to ZV20, 620, or 206).

The number one most important thing to do when navigating big water is pay attention to the weather radar. In 2020, everyone who owns a smartphone can download a weather app (e.g. MyRadar is free, otherwise RadarScope is the best paid one) which will allow you to know exactly what kind of weather possibilities are in store for the day. Check the app periodically throughout the day. The act of neglecting to do this simple check has literally KILLED people. If you're reading this, download either of those apps (or equivalent) right now and get used to using it.

Last edited by Nytron; 03-12-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Keeper

When I was a kid, we were fishing out of Ashtabula OH on Lake Erie. Nice day, drift fishing about 5 miles down the lake and a mile or so off shore. We were in a late 70's 16' Crestliner. There was a pack of boats all drifting together. Out of nowhere, a summer storm popped up and all heck broke loose. Realizing we wouldn't make it back to the harbor, we all headed straight for shore and beached our boats. We then headed for a great big willow tree to try and get out of the rain. That was one trip I have never forgotten.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Minnow

When I was guiding on LOTW, we spent the majority of the day fishing in a cluster of islands, reefs, etc. You could tell the wind was picking up as the day went on, but I wasn't quite sure just how windy it became until we headed back.

We had about a 15 mile ride back to camp and as I was headed south and approaching a large bay (that ran west to east for about 8-10 miles), I began to see the big rollers and breaking waves. I got about 50 yards into that bay (which we were going to need to run, in the direction of the waves), pulled a 180 and got back to the calm side of an island.

I told the guys to put on their rain gear (not a cloud in the sky, but we were in an 18ft tiller), they were going to get wet. After we all put the rain gear on, I pulled out my maps to confirm my thoughts. Once I was confident in my plan, I told them to sit facing rear ward because of the spray and off we went.

The bay was about 1 to 1.5 miles wide where we were and the wind was blowing straight west to east down the length of it. As we got into the more open water, I slowed down and took the waves at about a 30 degree angle. Rather than 45'ing them, I rode the troughs as best I could and took the shortest route across the bay. Key note here, as was mentioned, throttle control was very important! As we are crossing and I'm in full rain gear, hood up, face covered and only my sunglasses exposed, every time spray came over the sides, I looked at the two guys whose backs were to the front and they were laughing their @sses off.

After about 10 minutes of crossing the bay, we got into a maze of islands and side channels (as LOTW is know for). I slipped through islands and cuts (some that one would not know about unless they had considerable time on that water) the rest of the way back to camp.

All was well and the beer was good at the lodge!
Old 08-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Minnow

My wife and I fish Lake Superior quite a bit. If you are caught in heavy seas the idea is to survive and not lose your boat, not necessarily to even make headway. The boat's capabilities will determine if it can make headway.

The Us Coast Guard rescues recreational boaters on Lake Superior every year. Some make it. Some don't.

The six rules are:
1) always keep the full keel on the water to maintain track and steerage - greatest danger is broaching
2) never run with beam seas
3) never run directly into head seas windward
4) never allow following seas to push the boat full on the stern
5) trim fully down, adjust throttle as necessary to maintain constant freeboard on the bow
6) if you have to use the first five rules, you did not pay close enough attention to weather and sea conditions and stay behind the breakwater