Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Big Water Warrior Coming Soon ! - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-22-2020, 07:43 AM
ltrain's Avatar
ltrain ltrain is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLII View Post
I wish I had known about those TM when I ran a Grady White on Mille lacs. It would have been nice when she layed flat!
My 72" worked great at Mille Lacs on my Baron and stayed in the water and held a straight line, with my kicker, in 4-6's on lake Michigan this year.
__________________
1987 Lund Baron
2005 Yamaha f150
1998 15 hp Mariner 2stroke with controllking
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 AM
zalman zalman is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Tough crowd.

More talk about the details of the video itself than the fact Warrior is bringing a 23’ boat with a 450HP rating to the market seems kinda ridiculous.

It should be an incredible boat for fishing the Great Lakes and some of the big inland lakes.

I can’t wait to see one and get some real world reports on what it can do.

Waxy



Is it much different than the 23' Warrior that I fist saw about 3 years ago in the Golden Walleye Classic? That thing was **** HUGE!

Obviously the 450hp rating is new
__________________
Ranger 620 FS, 250 H.O. Etec G2, 15 H.O. Etec Kicker, Lowrance Carbon HDS12 / HDS9, Discover Battery 15-36-1000 LiFePO4 36V Power
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-27-2020, 01:28 AM
Anonymouse Anonymouse is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post
Do ehy did the Edmund Fitzgerald sink?
Loose hold covers apparently opened and allowed Gitchigumi waters to take up permanent residence in the ship, according to the last documentary (based on deep-dive video inspections) Anonymouse watched on the E. Fitz.
There were lock-down type closures all the way around the hold covers that somebody forgot to lock down before the ship sailed.

Per request Anonymouse is moving to a darker shade of green in an effort to provide more contrast for a user who is apparently using something other than the standard pale blue/white background with black text predominant here.
The normal Anonymouse green shows up vividly against the defawt color scheme.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-27-2020, 02:00 AM
Anonymouse Anonymouse is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 387
Default

Attachment 321180Attachment 321180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redy2fish View Post
So tell us what kind of boat do you have
Kelly Green trimmed 1999 Starcraft 2212 LX (with a 350 Mercruiser/Alpha One I/O) cuddy model.
Only 176 hours on the Mercruiser drivetrain when purchased last summer for $6,700.00.
Even have the number of hours at what rpms (in thousands ranges) the engine was run over the course of it's lifetime from the onboard computer diagnostics system.
Mostly it must have been used to idle at slow, barely waking, speeds half the time in Lake Butte de Morts and the other half at about 2/3rds throttle on Lake Winnebago.

It's not as good for fishing as the 1986 Celebrity 221CC that Anonymouse used for a decade but the floor rotted out on that one and it was more expensive to fix than it was worth.
The new-to-me Starcraft will be an excellent camper once the shore power, 32" 12V DC LED TV, and a few other handy alterations are added.
Cuddy fishing is a lot different than your typical open pedestal seating platform or deep-V walleye rig, but it works fine for casual hunting of those smart old lunkers & it's WAAAY more comfortable.
You'd never want to sleep in your Lund/Crestliner, but this puppy is like being cradled by the lapping wave-nanny and sung to sleep at night.

The trial run this week blew up because the winterization guy failed to properly fill the gear lube reservoir last October, so he won't be seeing any more business from us.
The hour of beeping sensor gave the Mrs. a migraine and annoyed the heck out of Anonymouse.
That problem was easily corrected with a quart of gear lube when back on shore so looking forward to getting out and running the new Lowrance Elite-9 Ti2 3-in1 through it's paces over the next 6-8 weeks before winterization comes around again.
(Finally caught a solid deal on the Lowrance in June but it took 6 weeks to line up an installer because Anonymouse is just too old and lazy to go crawling around fishing wire harnesses through a well-appointed cuddy these days.)


PS: The Madison chain of lakes is not exactly "small".
Mendota is the 3rd largest lake in WI (Pentenwell Flowage/Castle Rock is #2 at 13,000 acres/max 35' deep) & the 2nd largest natural inland lake (9,800 acres/max 83' deep) after Winnebago (137,000 acres).
Monona is another 3,400 acres/max 77' depth and Waubesa another 2,100 acres/max 38' depth + there is Interlake and Upper Mud in the chain between Monona & Waubesa.
That's 16,000+/- acres across 11.1 miles (N to SE) of waterway & 6 (E-W) miles across Mendota proper.
Smaller boats can navigate the lower lock (Waubesa) and get to 3,200 acre/max 32' depth Kegonsa & down the Rock River another 187 miles to the Mississippi below Davenport, IA.

Download the 1999 catalogue from the linky, (above an actual photo next to the California driveway queen RAM 1500) if you want to see pictures & details of it.
The gel-coat scratch above the porthole has been repaired already.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3Q-Lhn2Cg2mUGx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Loader port side (small).gif
Views:	74
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	321182  

Last edited by Anonymouse; 08-27-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Snowking Snowking is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Germantown, WI, USA.
Posts: 1,679
Default

Why do you not post in black like everyone else. Or is it because you are trying to promote some “product”. Except for the Great Lakes. Such as salmon and Lake Erie walleye. I do not see the purpose of a cubby cab for inland lake fishing. Maybe Winnebago system. As far as sleeping on a boat on inland waters. If I get tired I go to my house, rented condo, or hotel. I can see a cubby cab on Lake Michigan. If your going to go from port to port. Say Milwaukee to Port Washington. Stay in port Washington for the night. Then go back to Milwaukee the next day. How do you cast a shoreline with a cubby cab.
__________________
2014 Lund 1875 Crossover
2014 Mercury 150 four stroke

Last edited by Snowking; 08-27-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:34 AM
WallyWarrior's Avatar
WallyWarrior WallyWarrior is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Why do you not post in black like everyone else. Or is it because you are trying to promote some “product”. Except for the Great Lakes. Such as salmon and Lake Erie walleye. I do not see the purpose of a cubby cab for inland lake fishing. Maybe Winnebago system. As far as sleeping on a boat on inland waters. If I get tired I go to my house, rented condo, or hotel. I can see a cubby cab on Lake Michigan. If your going to go from port to port. Say Milwaukee to Port Washington. Stay in port Washington for the night. Then go back to Milwaukee the next day. How do you cast a shoreline with a cubby cab.

Probably the same reason he/she refers to themself in the the third person.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 PM
Anonymouse Anonymouse is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Why do you not post in black like everyone else. Or is it because you are trying to promote some “product”. Except for the Great Lakes. Such as salmon and Lake Erie walleye. I do not see the purpose of a cubby cab for inland lake fishing. Maybe Winnebago system. As far as sleeping on a boat on inland waters. If I get tired I go to my house, rented condo, or hotel. I can see a cubby cab on Lake Michigan. If your going to go from port to port. Say Milwaukee to Port Washington. Stay in port Washington for the night. Then go back to Milwaukee the next day. How do you cast a shoreline with a cubby cab.
Have always posted in green and most folks don't mind once they get used to it.
Just something to help find posts quickly when necessary.

As stated previously, cuddy fishing is a lot different than open pedestal boat floor plan fishing.
Not all fishermen fish the same way.

1st, Anonymouse doesn't cast shorelines because that's not where the lunker Walleyes reside here in Madison - which has been Anonymouse's primary hunting grounds since 1973.
With 3 lakes to choose from the PWT circuit apparently figured Madison had both large enough and plentiful enough Walleyes to hold their 1999 Championship here.
Ron Seelhoff took home $100,000 trolling for 14 fish weighing 26.94# on the smallest of the 3 lakes (Waubesa).
Rich Mellon landed an 8.94 pound lunker on Day 3 for the $1,000 biggest fish prize on the biggest lake (Mendota).
#1 Son has one mounted here that weighed just 0.46 lb. less (8.48#).

2nd, Anonymouse is more of a hunter than a chaser & prefers to pick a good spot and let the Walleyes come to him instead of beating the bushes looking for them.

3rd, the Wifey LIKES sleeping on the boat (as does Anonymouse).
You get up before the crack of dawn and don't have to launch a boat, speed & crawl 7 miles to your "spot", and no "oh, dangnabits" because you forgot to pack something when you left.
You just roll over, climb out of the cuddy and cast a line or three right into the lifting fog atop your favorite fishing hole - turn on the 12V coffee maker, pee, munch down on chocolate eclairs - and then kick back and listen to the cranes, herons, egrets, hawks, eagles, geese, ducks, & splashing fish, going about their daily business.
You cannot appreciate the setting unless you've slept on a boat and experienced that early morning rush.
Cruising up and throwing anchor after a 30 minute to 1 hour ride just can't compare - not to mention all that arrival racket tends to spook early AM Walleyes that are already getting skittish from the increasing light levels.

4th, what do you do if it starts raining while you are fishing?
Head for shore?
We just zip on curtains to the 2 Bimini tops and keep right on fishing or go watch a 32" TV/DVD (when it gets installed) in the cuddy.

5th, living on a cuddy for a day or 3 at a time tends to burn a LOT of calories. Anonymouse already lost 8# on 2 trips last week after FINALLY getting the rig on the water after the long Covid-19 delay in finding a fish locator installer.

6th and finally, motels/hotels cost money - a LOT of money if you stay in a decent one.
You don't get anything but a continental breakfast at a motel anyway & the eclairs and coffee got that covered.
We spend the money on a floating motel and by the time the boat is toast, we'll have paid, on average, HALF or less than 20-25 nights from April-October at an $89 motel would cost us.

Depending on the lake we are within 10 minutes of a pier at;
• the only 4 diamond rated hotel in Madison (The Edgewater)
• a few decent prime rib/seafood restaurants with stupendously large & inexpensive breakfasts (The Green Lantern, Mariner's Inn, )
• delicious pizza (Paisan's)
• several drinking and dining nightclubs (Christy's Landing, East Side Business Men's Club, Breakwater, Waypoint Public House, Kavanaugh's Esquire Club)
• at least a dozen other restaurants located on or within a block of the water and a docking option

Honestly, for us simple folk from the North Woods, life just doesn't get any better than cuddy living.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 08-31-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 AM
jjy jjy is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Have always posted in green and most folks don't mind once they get used to it.
Just something to help find posts quickly when necessary.

As stated previously, cuddy fishing is a lot different than open pedestal boat floor plan fishing.
Not all fishermen fish the same way.

1st, Anonymouse doesn't cast shorelines because that's not where the lunker Walleyes reside here in Madison - which has been Anonymouse's primary hunting grounds since 1973.
With 3 lakes to choose from the PWT circuit apparently figured Madison had both large enough and plentiful enough Walleyes to hold their 1999 Championship here.
Ron Seelhoff took home $100,000 trolling for 14 fish weighing 26.94# on the smallest of the 3 lakes (Waubesa).
Rich Mellon landed an 8.94 pound lunker on Day 3 for the $1,000 biggest fish prize on the biggest lake (Mendota).
#1 Son has one mounted here that weighed just 0.46 lb. less (8.48#).

2nd, Anonymouse is more of a hunter than a chaser & prefers to pick a good spot and let the Walleyes come to him instead of beating the bushes looking for them.

3rd, the Wifey LIKES sleeping on the boat (as does Anonymouse).
You get up before the crack of dawn and don't have to launch a boat, speed & crawl 7 miles to your "spot", and no "oh, dangnabits" because you forgot to pack something when you left.
You just roll over, climb out of the cuddy and cast a line or three right into the lifting fog atop your favorite fishing hole - turn on the 12V coffee maker, pee, munch down on chocolate eclairs - and then kick back and listen to the cranes, herons, egrets, hawks, eagles, geese, ducks, & splashing fish, going about their daily business.
You cannot appreciate the setting unless you've slept on a boat and experienced that early morning rush.
Cruising up and throwing anchor after a 30 minute to 1 hour ride just can't compare - not to mention all that arrival racket tends to spook early AM Walleyes that are already getting skittish from the increasing light levels.

4th, what do you do if it starts raining while you are fishing?
Head for shore?
We just zip on curtains to the 2 Bimini tops and keep right on fishing or go watch a 32" TV/DVD (when it gets installed) in the cuddy.

5th, living on a cuddy for a day or 3 at a time tends to burn a LOT of calories. Anonymouse already lost 8# on 2 trips last week after FINALLY getting the rig on the water after the long Covid-19 delay in finding a fish locator installer.

6th and finally, motels/hotels cost money - a LOT of money if you stay in a decent one.
You don't get anything but a continental breakfast at a motel anyway & the eclairs and coffee got that covered.
We spend the money on a floating motel and by the time the boat is toast, we'll have paid, on average, HALF or less than 20-25 nights from April-October at an $89 motel would cost us.

Depending on the lake we are within 10 minutes of a pier at;
• the only 4 diamond rated hotel in Madison (The Edgewater)
• a few decent prime rib/seafood restaurants with stupendously large & inexpensive breakfasts (The Green Lantern, Mariner's Inn, )
• delicious pizza (Paisan's)
• several drinking and dining nightclubs (Christy's Landing, East Side Business Men's Club, Breakwater, Waypoint Public House, Kavanaugh's Esquire Club)
• at least a dozen other restaurants located on or within a block of the water and a docking option

Honestly, for us simple folk from the North Woods, life just doesn't get any better than cuddy living.
I find it quite interesting lunker Madison walleye do not reside in shallow waters. Is it possible you are not fishing wind blown shorelines, Spring, Fall, or night time? Or does your cuddy not allow you to cast shallow water?
__________________
2018 Alumacraft 205 Sport
250 SHO
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Anonymouse Anonymouse is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I find it quite interesting lunker Madison walleye do not reside in shallow waters. Is it possible you are not fishing wind blown shorelines, Spring, Fall, or night time? Or does your cuddy not allow you to cast shallow water?
For about a decade Anonymouse used to pack for the day and wade-fish shorelines along all 3 of the main Madison lakes (Mendota, Monona, & Waubesa) before getting a cuddy - about 3-4 days per week (worked nights & never have slept more than 3-4 hours per night anyway).
Walleyes here just do not come in close at any time of the day or night except for a short window around the end of April/early May when some of the smaller stocked fish get aggressive in the evening until about midnight.
Can't ever remember even hearing of anyone catching a lunker Walleye from shore around here - they ALWAYS come from parts of the lake with structure that relates to a sharp drop-off from 9' to 22' or 22' to 50'.
Given that all 3 lakes have extensive flats in the 5'-10' depth range you can get to shallow Walleyes in a cuddy anytime if you choose to chase them around in the weeds - but it is more trouble than it's worth when you can hunt them down hovering off weed-edge zones with precipitous drop-offs.
(We're talking 1:1 slopes that go over a cliff from 20' right into 40' in a boat-length, of which there are several around here.)
Walleyes relate to structure almost always here & the extensive flats just don't have any perceptible change - not even small 1ft. to 2 ft. drops - it's just smooth, slowly deepening water until you come to a sudden drop-off of 5' or more because the shallows are a lot of former flood plane that's now under water since they put in the dam back in 1847 & since added the 5' Tenny 1896 locks & 10' Waubesa 1938 locks.

Anonymouse had a series of small 14'-16' outboard aluminium & fiberglass boats from the mid-1970s through the early 1990s before moving up to a cuddy class I/O in 1996 and fished the heck out of the shallows for 2 decades, so pretty sure Walleye feeding habits here are well-known & documented by Anonymouse.
There is some tremendous Smallmouth fishing to be had close to shores (4#-6# Smallies & LOTS of 1#+ eaters), excellent giant bluegill (10"-12"), 10"-17" perch, 9"-11" rock bass, & 14"-22" white bass (1.5#-3#+) can also give a feller a hella happy day along the shorelines.
Smallies are fun to catch but being so plentiful here they aren't really a challenge.

Occasionally Anonymouse accidentally picks off a 4'-5' Gar, a Muskie in the 26"-36" range and plenty of Northern running from hammer-handles up to 30" or so in close to shorelines, but since Anonymouse isn't at all interested in any of those species, what's the point of going where they are and being bothered de-hooking them?

Anonymouse can fish anything from 2.5' (29" full draft with the I/O all the way down) and deeper with the cuddy & not have to worry about hitting the bottom but in Madison that's often still 50' or more from shore.
Honestly, you seem to think an I/O can't go where shallow draft bass-style boats can, for some reason.
You are mistaken - the bigger outboards these days draft about the same as a 350 cu.in. Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta powered I/O, so just about anywhere you can trim up and get to with an open floor plan outboard-equipped fishing boat Anonymouse can trim up and get into just as easily.
18" is about as shallow as you'd want to take a 20'+ cuddy and Anonymouse doesn't see a lot of fishermen tooling around in water that shallow in ANY boat, regardless of propulsion system.
The I/O can be tilted up (the trailering button will put the prop blade half way up out of the water) so that the prop & skeg are actually above the bottom of the fiberglass hull at the transom.
You have to worry about the sidescanning transducer hitting bottom more than the outdrive itself, as it's fixed about 3/4" - 1" below the transom depth.

As for wind-blown shorelines, the number of boaters on these lakes means the shorelines are being pounded by waves/wake 24/7, so that's not really a factor for Walleyes here either, when they have so much water to feed in that's 5-10 foot deep and FILLED with small minnows and creepy-crawlies on the sandy/silt bottom in the weed beds that are so thick they run harvesters all summer long just to keep the smell of rotting kelp to a minimum around the homes.

Cuddy fishing might be "different" but it's not nearly as limiting as you seem to think it might be.
Mostly the difference is in where you can set a pole over the side where the windshield isn't and sitting on the cuddy deck (pop up through the cabin hatch or climb up the 2 inset steps to go through the hinged windshield opening) if you want to fish off the bow because there is no seat on the bow.
Trolling motor placement is complicated too, but you can mount them on the sterndrive or far side of the transom if that's really yer thingy - otherwise you'll have to make a cutout in the bow railing to cradle the trolling motor & pull it up flat or let it down to fish. The long-shaft trolling motors (60" & longer) get REALLY expensive too.
Being a hunter (sit and fish) Anonymouse has no interest in trolling motor fishing either.
Walleye will come to you if you are patient and positioned on good structure or over schooling 'Eyes in deep water.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-06-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:51 PM
EasternWashingtonBoater EasternWashingtonBoater is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 330
Default

Actually, I'm reading Anonymous. He's a good fisherman.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.