Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Update on my Lund boat decision ... 1875 Impact XS vs. 1875 Pro V - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmacs View Post
I don't think you could have gone wrong with either choice. I went from an 1800 Pro V and now have an 1875 Impact XS and really like the boat. Although I'd like to have 50 more HP with the Pro V.

One thing I do suggest is getting the top set and travel cover. Both are super easy to put up and well worth the money.
Thanks Boackmacs, I do plan on getting both the travel cover and the sport top. Also glad that you like the Impact XS... it remains my back-up plan if for any reason the $$$ situation falls through on the Pro V.

The motor was not a major consideration in my decision, but now that I am settled on the Pro V, I have considered one factor based on my four decades experience in piston-powered automotive and aviation applications. While not always true, my experience is that "low" HP big displacement engines often have far better reliability than "maxed out" HP four cylinder engines. I believe that the 150HP Merc is the highest HP in their four cylinder line... while the 200HP Merc is the lowest-rated HP in their V8 line. I'm hoping that my automotive and aviation experience holds true in the marine world... I would like this motor to be bullet-proof (but don't we all!).

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM
Keeper

I would normally agree with you on your assessment. However, I think the 150 Merc 4 storke is probably one of the most reliable motors made. That's the bread and butter really is those motors.

I do agree with you about the 200 HP though. It would be hard not to get that 200 HP V-8 just for the sound. I love it!
Old 09-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Minnow

If you're planning to get the Travel Cover then why would your boat sit in the slip uncovered? Water management shouldn't be a problem if you keep it covered. Worse thing you can do to a boat is leave it out in the elements uncovered all season. My brother-in-law did that to a brand new Princecraft about 10 years ago and after 3 seasons the poor thing looked like it had been salvaged from the bottom of a Great Lake.

Always, always, ALWAYS keep your boat covered when not in use. And always shrink wrap in the Winter, especially with the winters we get here in Michigan.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapin View Post
If you're planning to get the Travel Cover then why would your boat sit in the slip uncovered? Water management shouldn't be a problem if you keep it covered. Worse thing you can do to a boat is leave it out in the elements uncovered all season. My brother-in-law did that to a brand new Princecraft about 10 years ago and after 3 seasons the poor thing looked like it had been salvaged from the bottom of a Great Lake.

Always, always, ALWAYS keep your boat covered when not in use. And always shrink wrap in the Winter, especially with the winters we get here in Michigan.
Bottom line is I just canít bend and maneuver well enough to put the travel cover on when the boat is in the slip. My current Rebel has a mooring cover but it has a bunge that requires the bunge to be placed into a hook every few feet. I just struggled to do that.

If I can find a mooring cover that has a continuous bunge that I can stretch over the boat from back to front, I think I could manage that... but I have yet to find that cover.

As for the winter, the boat will be shrink wrapped and stored in a barn from October to April.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Slot Fish

I am hoping the 200 v8 is as reliable as the 150 four stroke because I have one. If Mercury built the 300 pro xs strong enough the 200 should last forever because it is basically the same engine.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Hey Pilot , glad rehab is going well for you , as far as your boat choice , I went thru pretty much exactly the same scenario a year ago , was running an 1800 Pro V , recently retired and wife finally getting to like fishing , made me think full windshield for my new boat , looked really hard at the Impact line , very nice boats.... But i have driven Pro Vs for 30 years soooo , ordered a 2020 model year 1875 Pro V with a 200 Pro XS and put a 15 EFI Pro kicker beside it and an Ulterra up front , next birthday is #70 for me , I wanted a boat small enough I can push around in my Toy shed and big enough to handle any water I wanted to put it in , after a seasons use I am absolutely loving this set up , boat handles awesome , windshield keeping wifey dry, warm , and happy , the 200 Pro XS ..... WOW !!! I usually fish just me or me and wifey , so the 1875 is " Perfect " but if I fished more people as others have said the 1975 would be better , anyways just thought I would thro this in after going thru basically the same thing you are looking at doing , Heal up fast and get that new boat in the water !!!!!
80# Ulterra
Helix Mega SI/DI,10, 9, 7
Old 10-01-2020, 06:13 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia bhtr View Post
Hey Pilot , glad rehab is going well for you , as far as your boat choice , I went thru pretty much exactly the same scenario a year ago , was running an 1800 Pro V , recently retired and wife finally getting to like fishing , made me think full windshield for my new boat , looked really hard at the Impact line , very nice boats.... But i have driven Pro Vs for 30 years soooo , ordered a 2020 model year 1875 Pro V with a 200 Pro XS and put a 15 EFI Pro kicker beside it and an Ulterra up front , next birthday is #70 for me , I wanted a boat small enough I can push around in my Toy shed and big enough to handle any water I wanted to put it in , after a seasons use I am absolutely loving this set up , boat handles awesome , windshield keeping wifey dry, warm , and happy , the 200 Pro XS ..... WOW !!! I usually fish just me or me and wifey , so the 1875 is " Perfect " but if I fished more people as others have said the 1975 would be better , anyways just thought I would thro this in after going thru basically the same thing you are looking at doing , Heal up fast and get that new boat in the water !!!!!
Thank you ia bhtr!

I had a chance to review a 1875 Pro V last week... I'm decided. The boat is spec'd and ready for order, which I will do after the election if the entire country and economy doesn't go in the tank

I will have it rigged for a kicker, but not installing one yet. I'd like to get a season of fishing in with just the main motor (200 Pro XS) and the 36V Ulterra system) before I make a final decision on the kicker. I figure that the expense of getting the rigging will eventually payoff on resale, even though it is likely my kids will get the benefit.

I also had an opportunity to try the new Lund suspension-seat captain's chairs. The ability to adjust the chair for weight is great, and the chairs are super comfortable. I'll be ordering the boat with these port and starboard, and then two air ride seats that will be stationed fore and aft.

Thank you all again for your advice and guidance. I'll post again when I have ordered or if I have any other questions prior to my order.

David

Tags
lund impact pro-v