Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance autopilot point 1 location - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Minnow

Default Lowrance autopilot point 1 location

I have the lowrance autopilot on order. I have a Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor on the bow of my Lund 1900 Tyee. I would like to mount Point 1 beside the bow the electric trolling motor. When the motor is not in use it should not interfere. When it is in use the electric field is 3-5 feet away from the point 1.

Has anyone successfully installed a point 1 beside a trolling motor. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't do it. You could always tape it there to see how it works out but it probably won't. On my lund i put it on the gunnel just in front of my windshield. Works great
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 07-09-2020, 04:27 AM
Wallhanger

I mounted my point one toward the back of the boat. So when using mapping on my console it was close to the reading from the transom Mounted transducer. Also when I save a waypoint on my graph. It tends to be close to my transom tranducer location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2020, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

The Autopilot Point-1 antenna is a slightly modified version of the standard Point-1, designed for the primary function to work seamlessly with the Autopilot. Through several years of experience with mine, I've found it to work best placed as near to the center line of the boat, be it for, aft, or even better in my case, at the helm/console of my boat which is a center console boat. I'm thinking that with your Tyee, a mid center mount would be rather difficult and considering a bow mounting location might be an option to consider. No matter where you mount it (away from magnetic field sources of course, configuring the Point-1 prior to initilizing the Autopilot is a step you don't want to overlook or bypass.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the sound advice. I will get the point 1 working before I install the complete system. I will buy some 2 sided tape. Supposed to arrive today
Old 09-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Minnow

I have the unit fully installed and it works great. Mounted the Point 1 AP on the port side gunnel in front of the windshield. Used 2 sided tape before drilling holes.

The pump that cam in the kit leaked. Lowrance replaced it which delayed things for a week. I was intimidated by the hydraulic modifications but they were easy. Mine used NPT fittings. I added a 45 degree street elbow out of the steering wheel pimp unit to match the direction of the original Lund hoses.

I called Seastar to get the fittings but they did not have them. They did tell me I needed fittings rated at 1000 psig with a safety factor.

I am thrilled to have this installed and working.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Just a note on heading sensors. Point 1 and the Humminbird GPS HS are both GPS pucks and heading sensors. The GPS function is the part we are better off having close to the sonar transducer.(less self induced error) but with the heading sensor(a compass) it is subject to magnetic interference. If mounted at the bow, with the trolling motor stored(out of the water) the trolling motor becomes North, regardless of which way the boat is pointing. There are other considerations (current running through wires also creates a magnetic field which will deflect the compass as well) The outboard can also put out magnetic interference. So like several have expressed, midships is usually safe as far as magnetic interference but the distance away from sonar makes for less accurate waypoints. Just an FYI Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 09-21-2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 09-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Minnow

I just finished my Point 1 install last week. Mine happened to be on a Lund Adventure 1775 - just to give you a reference is all. I can't add much to the great advice already given, and it's what I followed as well. I just thought a few pictures on a Lund where it worked for me might be of value.

I was lucky enough that this back location I picked was free of interference (tested like 20x with various compasses and out in my driveway. Fortunately, it was able to be right next to the conduit path that led to the bilge area where one end of my NEMA 2000 network ends. This allowed me to very easily tap it to my system. Yesterday was the first day out and it worked flawlessly. Extremely happy I added it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside_view.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	321542   Click image for larger version

Name:	point1_final.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	321544  
Old 09-27-2020, 04:15 PM
Minnow

should be mounted close to transducer per manufacturer

as said, helps to key in your waypoints closer...

but it'll show your heading correctly no matter where you mount it
(after calibration)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
should be mounted close to transducer per manufacturer

as said, helps to key in your waypoints closer...

but it'll show your heading correctly no matter where you mount it
(after calibration)
Do you have a link to that document? Bob