Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
live well removal - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-20-2020, 07:47 AM
Minnow

Default live well removal

Have a 98 Lund 1700 pro sport with a rotten transom. Doing the fix myself and I need access to a few transom bolts to remove remove the transom but to do that the live well and spash well need to be removed which is all one unit

i have drilled out the rivets in the live well and in the splash pan used a hand saw to cut along the phone and even used a floor jack to gently put pressure on the unit and it hasn't moved.

Any suggestions or tips on how to get this thing out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

I've seen a splash well like yours being removed and the word gentle did not apply. They used a crow bar with a pipe extension and an over head hoist, block and tackle. It looked like a real bear to get it out. If i remember correctly there is alot of spray in foam that kinda adheres to everything.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Minnow

You are correct. Lund sent me drawings but they were't for my boat. After a floor jack and several crow bars, cutting the foam away ect we succeeded in removing. The drawings didn't show a phlange that ran under the floor in front of the livewells. Found that out the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Since you're in the middle of this endeavor I'm sure you researched it plenty already. But I'll recommend a few things- seal the transom wood with a good epoxy, I know a reputable marina thins it down a little to let it soak into the wood, after a few coats the wood should absorb plenty, remember to do the sides too. Seal the insides of all predrilled holes. After installation, seal the top cap, sounds like a no brainer but Lund originally did none of this. After you're done your transom will be 10x better than original. Good luck, labor intensive but well worth it in the end.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 09-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Since you're in the middle of this endeavor I'm sure you researched it plenty already. But I'll recommend a few things- seal the transom wood with a good epoxy, I know a reputable marina thins it down a little to let it soak into the wood, after a few coats the wood should absorb plenty, remember to do the sides too. Seal the insides of all predrilled holes. After installation, seal the top cap, sounds like a no brainer but Lund originally did none of this. After you're done your transom will be 10x better than original. Good luck, labor intensive but well worth it in the end.
I did mine by myself (1999 1900 Pro V) and follow everything Itrain said and it is as solid as a brand new one would be and will/should outlast me. I also went from a 150hp to 200hp and increased the trasnom from 20" to a 25" transom.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Minnow

thanks for the tips. Yes i do plan to epoxy seal ect. Should have done this couple years ago.