Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata rear starboard jump seat storage wet. Why? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Wallhanger

Ranger told me there was three reasons for this issue.
1. The cup holder wasn't sealed.
2. Live well overflow.
3. Leaking through the rub rail.

My cup holders were sealed when I got the boat. I took them out to dump the water. I drilled a hole in it to drain.
After speaking with Ranger, I re-sealed the cup and taped the hole. Water still stood in the starboard compartment.
I don't suspect the rub rail to be leaking. Without doubt water will get in during washing the boat but I don't think it has anything to do with the rub rail.
I think the culprit is the live well and I have no idea how to fix it.

All I do know is; I did find a job SkamWow is good at

I can't help but think phowlers' hull was done somehow different (planned or by chance?) to force it to drain.
To me, the floor must be slopped towards the drain. And that is something Ranger should have taken care of at lay-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Something to consider.

My Reata would get water in the battery compartment when it rained, even with the Ranger cover on it. The cover completely covers the boat and it still had water in that compartment.

Ranger thought it may have come in through the rub rail too. I do not leave the boat outside anymore now that it is on a covered lift at the lake. I do not get water in there now since they put a new seal on the rear access panel.

Bob

Last edited by bob1; 10-24-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Slot Fish

I have a 2013 Reata and my rear starboard battery compartment also gets water in it even with the cover on. This is what my problem was. The engine controls run into the boat on the starboard side. There's a rubber boot at the end at the boat. The water runs down from where the controls go into the motor and it runs down thru the controls right thru the middle of the rubber boot and into the starboard side area where you have a round cover on top. Take the round cover off and run a water hose by the motor controls and you'll see it running down the controls into that starboard area behind your battery storage area. There are valleys in there that will run the water into your battery storage area!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 2019 ranger angler. Always a little water in my battery compartment as well, even with the live well empty. Does anyone know whatís below that? Itís a small amount and Iíd almost rather just drill a small hole in the back corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 PM
Slot Fish

It is foam underneath that section. Don't drill that, you'll just eventually waterlog the floatation and make your boat weigh 2 tons. Check that the livewell is sealed under the lip where it is adhesively attached to the top cap. You have to stick your head in the livewell and look underneath the top seal with a bright flashlight (led works well) and look for any gaps. If you have them squirt some 3m 5200 or similar in the gap.
36V MK Ulterra
8610,8612 Garmin's with UHD & Livescope
Simrad GoESE 9
Mercury VesselView Link
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 2017 and 2018 Ranger 1880. I also had water in those compartments for some reason. Didn't figure it out before I got rid of the boat. I never used rear live well.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram41569 View Post
I have a 2013 Reata and my rear starboard battery compartment also gets water in it even with the cover on. This is what my problem was. The engine controls run into the boat on the starboard side. There's a rubber boot at the end at the boat. The water runs down from where the controls go into the motor and it runs down thru the controls right thru the middle of the rubber boot and into the starboard side area where you have a round cover on top. Take the round cover off and run a water hose by the motor controls and you'll see it running down the controls into that starboard area behind your battery storage area. There are valleys in there that will run the water into your battery storage area!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Did you find a fix for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Keeper

My livewell would overflow a drain right into my starboard jump seat, and then hold water.

I fixed this by doing the following:

There is a small drain hole (like maybe 3/8") in that compartment that should drain into the bilge. It just happened to be plugged with debris and that is why it would hold water instead of drain that compartment. I cleaned the drain and that stopped it from holding water.

The live well was overflowing because the overflow tube was probably just a little too long, and was plumbed in a way that the highest part of the overflow tubing was actually higher than the live well lid by about an inch. The inside top edge of the live well was not sealed. In stead of draining through the overflow tubing it would just overflow through the top unsealed edge into the compartment.

I originally sealed the inside edge of the livewell. Then when it overflowed it would just come out the top of the lid and onto the floor. Thats when I new there was a problem with the tubing.

My solution was to go in through the back access panel and wedge a piece/chunk of rigid styrofoam between the top deck of the boat and the large overflow tubing, this just forced the top of the tubing to be lower than the lid of the livewell.

Everything works great now.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n