Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Small garage, big boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-20-2020, 07:07 AM
Minnow

Default Small garage, big boats

Hi all

I'm in need of some actual real world data on s few boat models and their minimum storage length. I need to be under 21' total with motor down and tounge folded. Right now my Wx2000T fits at an angle but it's a hassle. It comes in at 21'6" but it's listed online that it's 23' which got me wondering if the storage lengths on other boats online are incorrect also. Looking at 18'-19' wheel boats, anyone with experience with these models?

Nitro Zv19
Skeeter Wx1910
Ranger 1880
Yarcraft 186TFX
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Something to keep on eye on with the oal measurements, I just downsized to a 1' shorter boat thinking (that's a big mistake) that the oal of the package boat+trailer + motor would be the same or less than the old boat! WRONG! The new shorter length boat came with the same trailer as the next size up boat (2' longer) causing me some major garage deconstruction! The boat fit no problem. The trailer, not so much.

To big a lesson lesson to learn for this old guy!

Marty
Old 09-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

And not all swing tongues are alike. To be sure, take your tape measure to the dealer's lot and measure for yourself.

Read your owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Minnow

Yea guys, I get it, real overall length varies. That's why I'm asking
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Minnow

My Ranger Angler 1880MS with single axle trailer is 21'8" with the trailer tongue folded, the motor down and turned to one side. That is the absolute minimum length. I don't have a jack plate. So pretty close to the spec on the Ranger web page, where it is listed at 22'4".
Old 09-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Minnow

Also, one other thing that almost bit me. I focused a ton on length I had available in the garage, width that I had to work with to get it into the garage bay, but the one important measurement that never crossed my mind was height...

Bring the boat home that first night, walking it by hand back into the garage (because I have about 2" inches to spare on each side for my width), and notice the very top of the windshield just fit under the opened garage door... Yeah, that'd have been a sad day, but luckily it was meant to be.

In my case, mine was a Lund. I found their measurements for my setup to be basically right on. I don't know if other manufacturers do this, but Lund, in their FAQ section on their site, spells out how they do their measurements.

Last edited by WoodinvilleWalleye; 09-21-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Lund FAQ info
Old 09-24-2020, 04:05 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 2011 Lund 1825 Pro Guide with a 90 Honda on an Ezloader trailer. My single garage is 22' long with a standard door.
It just fits with the tongue folded. Another consideration is width. One dealer insisted it had to be on a 102" wide trailer (that is how Lund packaged it with their Lund trailer). I have a 96" wide trailer to make backing it into the garage a lot easier. Bunks had to be raised for the boat to clear the fenders. But it fits my garage!
Height could be an issue if one has a windshield boat.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
Something to keep on eye on with the oal measurements, I just downsized to a 1' shorter boat thinking (that's a big mistake) that the oal of the package boat+trailer + motor would be the same or less than the old boat! WRONG! The new shorter length boat came with the same trailer as the next size up boat (2' longer) causing me some major garage deconstruction! The boat fit no problem. The trailer, not so much.

To big a lesson lesson to learn for this old guy!

Marty

Really good fact.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkrum View Post
My Ranger Angler 1880MS with single axle trailer is 21'8" with the trailer tongue folded, the motor down and turned to one side. That is the absolute minimum length. I don't have a jack plate. So pretty close to the spec on the Ranger web page, where it is listed at 22'4".
My Reata 1850MS (same trailer and hull as the 1880MS) is 22' with the tongue folded, motor all the way down and straight (150 pro xs). It fits in my 9'x7' door opening also. There is about 3" on each side through the opening. Motor and windshield have about 5 " from the top of the opening.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodinvilleWalleye View Post
Also, one other thing that almost bit me. I focused a ton on length I had available in the garage, width that I had to work with to get it into the garage bay, but the one important measurement that never crossed my mind was height...

Bring the boat home that first night, walking it by hand back into the garage (because I have about 2" inches to spare on each side for my width), and notice the very top of the windshield just fit under the opened garage door... Yeah, that'd have been a sad day, but luckily it was meant to be.

In my case, mine was a Lund. I found their measurements for my setup to be basically right on. I don't know if other manufacturers do this, but Lund, in their FAQ section on their site, spells out how they do their measurements.
I did the same thing, forgot about the height. My full windshield Impact rubs on the OH door weather strip & I had to cut/modify the garage door opener to make it fit. I purchased an adjustable height receiver hitch so I have it lowered down to pull the boat in and out and then raise it to the right height for towing.

The other thing to keep in mind in regards to manufacturers specs is those specs are for a specific boat/trailer combo. If you go with a different trailer manufacturer it could change the specs.