Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yarcraft 1785 BT - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Default Yarcraft 1785 BT

Looking for real world opinions on this boat. I fished in a 16ft yarcraft tiller years ago a few times, very impressed with the ride. Took a demo ride with Jason Mitchell with his on Winnie, he had a 75 Merc, once again impressed. 2020 is the last year they are being made, some still out their with 75 Mercs. Now I fish alone 75 percent of the time also add a dog. the other 25 percent with 2. Presently have a 20 ft big Lund tiller with a 200 HP, I am 72 and thinking about downsizing. Fish Leech primarily, other local lakes, including Red a few times. Any Imput? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Dave,
No worry with this rig.

I expect that it will do everything that you wish for it to do, including a smooth dry ride.

Love the dry smooth rid of the YarCraft hulls.

The layout also makes for a great fishing platform.

Take care
Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Keeper

I love the layout of them. I have not fished in one but if I did, I'd probably have bought it. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Minnow

Dave,

I bought one of the last 4 1785s (I think only 2 left) this spring from Lyback's Marine. My previous boat was a 2001 1890 Warrior which was an great boat. I've had my boat on large and small water this summer in all conditions. Sakakawea and Francis Case being the largest.

I am very happy with how it handles the rough water, very comparable to my 1890 I haven't noticed much of a difference. The ride is very dry and smooth for a 17 foot class. It drifts great and tracks really good when trolling.

Patrick
Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

Laker, sent you a PM
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Dave I was in your shoes not long ago. I spent all those years working my way up to a big tiller. In my case a fiberglass Lund Pro V. I was also sure I was ready to move "down" to a 17' or 18' tiller. I looked at all the want ads, did a bunch of research and had myself convinced. Took a drive up to Lybecks and looked at those 1785's he has. Very nice boats. At some point while looking at them I realized just how much room I was going to give up. How much horsepower I was going to give up. All the things I had been working towards those last bunch of years. With the waters I fish Kabetogama, Namakin, Rainy I just couldn't give that horsepower up.

The Yar-Craft will be a great boat no doubt about it. Just get a good look at one before finalizing your plan.

Good luck and enjoy whatever direction you go.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

yep, no such thing as a perfect boat, one needs a few boats. One of my friends has told me, think about it, you spend 90 percent of your time fishing, the other 10 percent going from point a to point b, how true for me anyway. I change my mind many times, big tiller, smaller tiller, even think about a wheel boat, never owned one, I am old school, plus no spring chicken myself
Old 09-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default 1785

Dave,
I owned a 1785BT back in the late 90's/early 2000's. It had a 75 Merc on it. In 02 I moved up to the 1895 BT which is basically the same layout but a bit longer. Loved both boats. Cant go wrong with that boat. I'm still in the 1895BT and thinking of updating like so many others. IF I do, I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the Yarcraft and stay with a tiller. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:40 PM
Keeper

Dave you have had your share of boats. You test drove my wx2000t sketer really good boat just a bit underpowered. You ran a 1890 warior with a 140, now a big lund with a 200. To downsize you most likely know better than most. I went from the wx2000t to a backtroller and even went so far as to illegally mount a 90 yamaha on it. It sucked. I now run a 2009 warrior 1890 with a new 140 siziki, a new trailer and fixed everything possible to make it a new boat. Yes i have alot of money in it but it is a good as new. I am satisifed and super happy best boat i have ever had. Cannot tell it from a new boat. You fish a big lake do not go too small. I have had skeeter windshield boats as well a skeeter wx1825 with a 150 sho still like a tiller and i am not as old as you but still like my tiller to fish from. Give me a call it would be fun to talk again we live close to each otehr. 218-556-0710.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Hi Mark, yes I have had many boats, a guy needs a couple, but my 1890 Warrior with the 140 was the best, it just reappeared for sale at Kovash in Moorhead, yesterday on leech wishin I had a windshield, but do so love to fish out of a tiller, will call