Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yarcraft 1785 BT - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Dave in Walker's Avatar
Dave in Walker Dave in Walker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 1,103
Default Yarcraft 1785 BT

Looking for real world opinions on this boat. I fished in a 16ft yarcraft tiller years ago a few times, very impressed with the ride. Took a demo ride with Jason Mitchell with his on Winnie, he had a 75 Merc, once again impressed. 2020 is the last year they are being made, some still out their with 75 Mercs. Now I fish alone 75 percent of the time also add a dog. the other 25 percent with 2. Presently have a 20 ft big Lund tiller with a 200 HP, I am 72 and thinking about downsizing. Fish Leech primarily, other local lakes, including Red a few times. Any Imput? thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-20-2020, 08:42 PM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 37,685
Default

Dave,
No worry with this rig.

I expect that it will do everything that you wish for it to do, including a smooth dry ride.

Love the dry smooth rid of the YarCraft hulls.

The layout also makes for a great fishing platform.

Take care
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Hat Trick Hat Trick is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: MN
Posts: 185
Default

I love the layout of them. I have not fished in one but if I did, I'd probably have bought it. lol.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Laker3588 Laker3588 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: .
Posts: 11
Default

Dave,

I bought one of the last 4 1785s (I think only 2 left) this spring from Lyback's Marine. My previous boat was a 2001 1890 Warrior which was an great boat. I've had my boat on large and small water this summer in all conditions. Sakakawea and Francis Case being the largest.

I am very happy with how it handles the rough water, very comparable to my 1890 I haven't noticed much of a difference. The ride is very dry and smooth for a 17 foot class. It drifts great and tracks really good when trolling.


Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Dave in Walker's Avatar
Dave in Walker Dave in Walker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 1,103
Default

Laker, sent you a PM
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM
That Minnesota guy's Avatar
That Minnesota guy That Minnesota guy is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,462
Default

Dave I was in your shoes not long ago. I spent all those years working my way up to a big tiller. In my case a fiberglass Lund Pro V. I was also sure I was ready to move "down" to a 17' or 18' tiller. I looked at all the want ads, did a bunch of research and had myself convinced. Took a drive up to Lybecks and looked at those 1785's he has. Very nice boats. At some point while looking at them I realized just how much room I was going to give up. How much horsepower I was going to give up. All the things I had been working towards those last bunch of years. With the waters I fish Kabetogama, Namakin, Rainy I just couldn't give that horsepower up.

The Yar-Craft will be a great boat no doubt about it. Just get a good look at one before finalizing your plan.

Good luck and enjoy whatever direction you go.
__________________
With my head in the sand about currant events it's hard to talk about fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Dave in Walker's Avatar
Dave in Walker Dave in Walker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 1,103
Default

yep, no such thing as a perfect boat, one needs a few boats. One of my friends has told me, think about it, you spend 90 percent of your time fishing, the other 10 percent going from point a to point b, how true for me anyway. I change my mind many times, big tiller, smaller tiller, even think about a wheel boat, never owned one, I am old school, plus no spring chicken myself
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2020, 06:44 PM
brian1785 brian1785 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Volo, IL, USA.
Posts: 1,426
Default 1785

Dave,
I owned a 1785BT back in the late 90's/early 2000's. It had a 75 Merc on it. In 02 I moved up to the 1895 BT which is basically the same layout but a bit longer. Loved both boats. Cant go wrong with that boat. I'm still in the 1895BT and thinking of updating like so many others. IF I do, I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the Yarcraft and stay with a tiller. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2020, 09:40 PM
NCESI's Avatar
NCESI NCESI is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Leech Lake Area MN
Posts: 246
Default

Dave you have had your share of boats. You test drove my wx2000t sketer really good boat just a bit underpowered. You ran a 1890 warior with a 140, now a big lund with a 200. To downsize you most likely know better than most. I went from the wx2000t to a backtroller and even went so far as to illegally mount a 90 yamaha on it. It sucked. I now run a 2009 warrior 1890 with a new 140 siziki, a new trailer and fixed everything possible to make it a new boat. Yes i have alot of money in it but it is a good as new. I am satisifed and super happy best boat i have ever had. Cannot tell it from a new boat. You fish a big lake do not go too small. I have had skeeter windshield boats as well a skeeter wx1825 with a 150 sho still like a tiller and i am not as old as you but still like my tiller to fish from. Give me a call it would be fun to talk again we live close to each otehr. 218-556-0710.
__________________
Mark M
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Dave in Walker's Avatar
Dave in Walker Dave in Walker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 1,103
Default

Hi Mark, yes I have had many boats, a guy needs a couple, but my 1890 Warrior with the 140 was the best, it just reappeared for sale at Kovash in Moorhead, yesterday on leech wishin I had a windshield, but do so love to fish out of a tiller, will call
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.