Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Tyee GL 208 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM
Keeper

I still can order a boat pre rigged & put on a 150 on if I want would really like to know how this 208 Tyee GL does with a 200.

I found out these 300hp come standard with power steering. I have power steering on my saltwater boat & it is awesome running in rough offshore waters.

All these things drive the cost up & add weight to an already very heavy motor that adds a few MPH but will burn more fuel. I really wonder why they push these small boats out with 300HP when a 150-200 would be a better choice. I am running a 25ft Center Console with a 200 Suzuki getting 4 MPG offshore at 26 MPH I can also handle ten passengers at 150lbs & lightly loaded reached a top speed of 44.4 MPH if I put a 300 on this boat it would top out around 55 MPH but burn more fuel & draft more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
I still can order a boat pre rigged & put on a 150 on if I want would really like to know how this 208 Tyee GL does with a 200.

I found out these 300hp come standard with power steering. I have power steering on my saltwater boat & it is awesome running in rough offshore waters.

All these things drive the cost up & add weight to an already very heavy motor that adds a few MPH but will burn more fuel. I really wonder why they push these small boats out with 300HP when a 150-200 would be a better choice. I am running a 25ft Center Console with a 200 Suzuki getting 4 MPG offshore at 26 MPH I can also handle ten passengers at 150lbs & lightly loaded reached a top speed of 44.4 MPH if I put a 300 on this boat it would top out around 55 MPH but burn more fuel & draft more.
The more HP=higher fuel consumption is not always correct.

In my experience, the idea you'll save money by going with less HP ends up having the opposite result, IF, you're comparing apples to apples. Performance suffers, so the natural tendency is to run the lower HP motor harder and at higher RPM, which completely eliminates any advantage and drastically reduces efficiency.

On two similar hulls (or identical is even better), the fuel use varies based on the determined speed, which will vary based on the % of throttle you need to apply to achieve and maintain that speed. The higher the speed, the more drastic the difference will be.

Example - Same boat, one with a 200 Verado, one with a 300 Verado.

At cruising speeds of anywhere from 20-45 mph, the fuel usage of the two boats would be nearly identical, in fact, the boat with the 300 Verado would likely be a little bit MORE fuel efficient, because it takes less throttle - aka less fuel - to move the boat at the same speed (higher pitch prop), and with the Verados, throttle percentage/RPM is the single biggest factor in fuel mileage. It's almost exponential.

The fuel economy of the 300 would obviously be worse at WOT, but if you back out of the 300 the 5-10 mph to match the max speed of the 200 running at WOT, you'll find that the 300 is again using less fuel at that speed than the 200 is running wide open. The real bonus - your boat 5 mph or more faster when you want to spend the money.

The other advantage of the max HP outboard is you're not stressing your motor to the same extent all the time to maintain the same speed, or, if you want to maintain a constant stress/RPM, then your cruising speed is increased.

There is typically no weight difference between the 200HP and 300HP variations of the same outboard from the same manufacturer, so there's no penalty there either in terms of performance or draft.

Waxy
Old 01-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

Waxy makes some great points, especially this one:

The other advantage of the max HP outboard is you're not stressing your motor to the same extent all the time to maintain the same speed, or, if you want to maintain a constant stress/RPM, then your cruising speed is increased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
I still can order a boat pre rigged & put on a 150 on if I want would really like to know how this 208 Tyee GL does with a 200...
If you have not ordered already, or have a dealer that has reserved a spot in the build sequence - check on delivery date, unless you expect to get your boat in 2020.

Production for 2019 is already full on the glass line.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
If you have not ordered already, or have a dealer that has reserved a spot in the build sequence - check on delivery date, unless you expect to get your boat in 2020.

Production for 2019 is already full on the glass line.

I find that pretty interesting and I have read it other places also. Either Lund is really selling alot of glass boats or the production capability is awfully low.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I find that pretty interesting and I have read it other places also. Either Lund is really selling alot of glass boats or the production capability is awfully low.
I think its a combination of both. I couldn't get a glass last year so that's why I ended up with aluminum. If the glass line is busy my guess is its busy on glass pro v's and the 189 tyee, I think the 208 doesn't sell that well.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I don't know if you would ever get a complete answer to which it was. Like Scott posted - it's likely a combination of several reasons.

All production capacity for delivery in the coming year on the glass line is already full. Dealerships know how to work these things - so that doesn't mean you can't get one. It means you have to find a dealership that has already booked that production capacity in the sequence. Some dealers will have a spot for sale, some won't. Generally speaking the order can be changed to a different boat model, within certain timing limitations. But the build sequence number has already been booked by "someone"...
Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

Kinda like buying tickets to a concert and scalping them.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Keeper

Went to the local boat show yesterday (2nd day of show). Went by the Lund section (Mark's Marine, Hayden Lake - marksmarineinc.com). They also sell Hewescrafts which are made less than 100 miles from Spokane, Washington - there weren't many Hewescrafts left unsold - but there were no Lunds yet sold. Crossover, Tyee, Adventure, and Impact were represented. No glass. The Tyee they had was set up with a price of nearly $70K. Good Grief. But it sure was a beauty!

Around here, people like the big Aluminum rigs - Boulton, Hewescraft, Thunderjet - but that's understandable considering the Snake and Columbia rivers are within 2 hours' drive.

It was a weird show - almost all the most expensive boats (200-350K) were sold - luxury Chris-Craft runabouts were getting serious attention ...

One local luxury dealer, the Hagadone Group, is an offshoot of Duane Hagadone Hospitality - founded by a North Idaho Tycoon. Duane has had his own Yacht shown on some world's fanciest TV show - one interesting piece was how Duane's paranoia has partitions that are activated to separate his stateroom from the rest of the boat ... a Lapis Lazuli bar and other amazingly expensive accouterments!

When money's no object - boating gets real fun!!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Keeper

The new 2019 Merc 250 & 300 are v8 natural aspiration they weigh about 100lbs less than the Verado V6 with less moving parts. My local Florida dealer showed me the new motors & explained them fully. All reports are trouble free with better speed MPG & quieter than the 2stroke optimax they replace. Now the deal is they are hard to come by months maybe a year out. They have repowered a few boats with these new motors one boat they pulled twin Yamaha F225 off replaced them with 2019 Merc 250ís Huge difference over 10 MPH top speed. He said they arenít adding power steering on these but the new Verado comes with it just like the V6 Verado.