Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has anyone figured out a good way to store track-mount accessories? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-16-2020, 06:37 AM
FishManDan FishManDan is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 508
Default

Thought I would add a couple of pictures. Oh and turns out the second bag was a remodeler add on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082723_1597581370732.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	320976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082740_1597581399952.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	320978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082732_1597581427396.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	320980   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_082755_1597581451020.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	320982  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 08-18-2020, 12:59 PM
gbin's Avatar
gbin gbin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: upstate NY (but MN in my heart!)
Posts: 873
Default

I think I'm going to try doing something with some of these Clipper Clips:

https://www.beckson.com/plasticclips.html

Of course, that'll mean driving screws into the inside of a compartment wall or lid in my new boat!

Gerry
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2020, 08:09 AM
mcbreth's Avatar
mcbreth mcbreth is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winneconne, WI
Posts: 472
Default

How about a foam block with cutouts in bottom of the rod locker?
__________________
2017 Triton 206 Allure
250 SHO
T9.9
Humminbird Helix 12 and Helix 9(x2)
12' Talon
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 08-20-2020, 04:34 PM
gbin's Avatar
gbin gbin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: upstate NY (but MN in my heart!)
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbreth View Post
How about a foam block with cutouts in bottom of the rod locker?
Seems like an idea with great potential, too - thanks! I'm not very good at carving foam, though. OK, actually I'm pretty awful at it.

Gerry
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Opus Dog Opus Dog is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Papillion, Ne
Posts: 553
Default

I'm going to be simplistic and say wrap them in soft towels and put them in one of your ranger compartments. They will be absolutely fine going down the road and doing the normal bouncing that trailers do. No damage will come to them or the boat. You have made an investment into quality holders and they need to be protected. The flip side is that space can become limited on a boat and boat prep time at the launch can be drawn out when you want to fish. Make it fast to get out and fast to put away. At least that is what I would do. Joe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Net_Man Net_Man is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I think I'm going to try doing something with some of these Clipper Clips:

https://www.beckson.com/plasticclips.html

Of course, that'll mean driving screws into the inside of a compartment wall or lid in my new boat!

Gerry
I like your clip concept if you have a good storage area to mount them. What brand/model of boat did you purchase?

I personally just store mine in one of my side rod lockers but I hate side rod lockers for rod storage so it works well for me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-21-2020, 08:22 PM
gbin's Avatar
gbin gbin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: upstate NY (but MN in my heart!)
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
I like your clip concept if you have a good storage area to mount them. What brand/model of boat did you purchase?

I personally just store mine in one of my side rod lockers but I hate side rod lockers for rod storage so it works well for me.
It's a 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup. Seems like it has a LOT of storage compartments, but it's my first boat ever and I haven't yet had it long, so maybe it won't seem that way after I've had it a while.

More than concerns about these nice, heavy accessories getting banged up or banging up other stuff, whenever possible I just really prefer to store things so that they're organized and easily accessible, not buried in or under other things. I suppose I spent too much of my working life in laboratories, where there was "a place for everything and everything in its place"... Around the house I'm a big fan of pegboard storage for tools and such, too. That's what made me think of the clips.

Gerry
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Net_Man Net_Man is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
It's a 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup. Seems like it has a LOT of storage compartments, but it's my first boat ever and I haven't yet had it long, so maybe it won't seem that way after I've had it a while.

More than concerns about these nice, heavy accessories getting banged up or banging up other stuff, whenever possible I just really prefer to store things so that they're organized and easily accessible, not buried in or under other things. I suppose I spent too much of my working life in laboratories, where there was "a place for everything and everything in its place"... Around the house I'm a big fan of pegboard storage for tools and such, too. That's what made me think of the clips.

Gerry
A heck of a boat for your first boat......

Yes, lots of storage and think of all of the fun you will have filling them. If you do things correctly then you will have enough equipment and tackle that it won't all fit in the boat and you will have to decide on what to leave behind for the specific outing.

Assuming that you would have to attach these clips with screws - I have fished out of my friends 620 on more than dozen occasions but I never really looked at all of the storage compartments enough to offer up assistance on location for drilling for screw connections.

You will find it more convenient to have access to this equipment from the cockpit area. This would eliminate the front deck storage other than the rod storage. In rough water the rear section of this boat will be quite stable. Because of this, even if you stored them loosely in a rear compartment then I would not expect that you would have any issues with these banging around. In my friends Ranger he stores his Berts metal rod holders loosely in the same rear compartment along with his Offshore Planner boards stacked on top of the rod holders with out any issues.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-22-2020, 08:21 AM
gbin's Avatar
gbin gbin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: upstate NY (but MN in my heart!)
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Man View Post
A heck of a boat for your first boat......

Yes, lots of storage and think of all of the fun you will have filling them. If you do things correctly then you will have enough equipment and tackle that it won't all fit in the boat and you will have to decide on what to leave behind for the specific outing.

Assuming that you would have to attach these clips with screws - I have fished out of my friends 620 on more than dozen occasions but I never really looked at all of the storage compartments enough to offer up assistance on location for drilling for screw connections.

You will find it more convenient to have access to this equipment from the cockpit area. This would eliminate the front deck storage other than the rod storage. In rough water the rear section of this boat will be quite stable. Because of this, even if you stored them loosely in a rear compartment then I would not expect that you would have any issues with these banging around. In my friends Ranger he stores his Berts metal rod holders loosely in the same rear compartment along with his Offshore Planner boards stacked on top of the rod holders with out any issues.
Yeah, I went most of my life moving around too much and not having enough money such that I suspected I might never have ANY boat, then I retired early and discovered that I could make a lot more money just by actively managing investments than I did as a practicing wildlife scientist. (I swing trade some and trade longer term some. Not that I'm some kind of stock market whiz; it really just points out how little money wildlife scientists make.) After a bit I realized that I had enough money to buy what I really wanted, and I was already aware that I'm not getting any younger, so...

I'm also a big proponent of storing things near where you plan to use them whenever it's practical to do so, and my Bert's Tracks are on the aft gunwales, so I figured one or more of the rear compartments would be best for storing these rod holders. I'll take some measurements, maybe make some quick paper templates, and see what I can come up with.

Gerry
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-27-2020, 02:27 PM
goosechaser's Avatar
goosechaser goosechaser is online now
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 280
Default

This is my plan for storing the rod holders in a track that slides into the two rear mount seat bases. It will only be in use during transport when the boat is tarped. Once at the lake and the rod holders are installed the track will be removed and put in the truck. Since it is mounted low even the rod holders with 15 inch risers will not interfere with the tarp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod holder track.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	321192  
__________________
2020 Ranger 621 Pro
Evinrude 300
Evinrude 15
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.