Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can anyone explain Lunds Battery Setup - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-25-2020, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

Default Can anyone explain Lunds Battery Setup

The boat has two batteries a 300HP verado Pro and a 15 Kicker. Both electric start. Also power steering. Trying to understand what battery does what. One larger one smaller in battery actual size. I am not sure what each is used for. Anyone have ideas or knowledge?
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

One for starting and one for power steering.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Bb,
The reply was correct. But, if you have a new to you boat and have a question about the boat, stop by your dealer and have them explain things to you for good understanding of the systems in the boat.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 AM
Wallhanger

A Verado and kicker installed properly !! Yahoo!

Basically--

One is the start battery and one is what we call the "house" battery. The "house" battery is needed for a boat with Verado power steering and a kicker. The kicker doesn't put out enough charge to keep up with the amount being used by the power steering pump when the Verado is not running but you are using the Verado power steerng on the kicker. A kit installed (sold by Mercury) enables the Verado to charge which ever battery needs it Tournament style boats with huge electronics and lots of them, also incorporate the "house" battery .

Last edited by T Mac; 08-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post

Basically--

One is the start battery and one is what we call the "house" battery. The "house" battery is needed for a boat with Verado power steering and a kicker. The kicker doesn't put out enough charge to keep up with the amount being used by the power steering pump when the Verado is not running but you are using the Verado power steerng on the kicker. A kit installed (sold by Mercury) enables the Verado to charge which ever battery needs it Tournament style boats with huge electronics and lots of them, also incorporate the "house" battery .
Do you know the part # for the kit sold by Mercury?
Old 08-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post

Basically--

Thank you, that is kind of what I recalled the explanation to be however one battery is larger and that seems to be the start battery and also seems to have all the electronics wired to it. The smaller battery is limited with whats connected. I would have though that was power steering and kicker start from what I was told but not clear. Is there a way to know if I have that kit that charges both batteries ?
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Thank you, that is kind of what I recalled the explanation to be however one battery is larger and that seems to be the start battery and also seems to have all the electronics wired to it. The smaller battery is limited with whats connected. I would have though that was power steering and kicker start from what I was told but not clear. Is there a way to know if I have that kit that charges both batteries ?
Your dealer or Lund would have that info. Whoever rigged the motor.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default conclusion

Battery was toast. Funny thing was the smaller battery is the start battery in this boat. The dealer rigging was wrong because all electronics were on it. Just because people have title of dealer does not mean they know what they are doing in all cases. Also found out wrong lube was put in lower unit by the dealer. Glad I only ran less than 10 hours. New battery installed, electronics moved off start battery and good to go.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-27-2020, 04:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre (wallyandre) View Post
Do you know the part # for the kit sold by Mercury?
Found the information: "They now recommend Part# 8M0149838 (which I understand does NOT include an isolator). For Verado models, an isolator that can handle the FULL OUTPUT of the alternator is recommended, so I would recommend Part# 8M6006077 (140 Amp Isolator)."
Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post

Yes.. the kit and isolator enables the Verado to charge both batteries ...as needed . Done correctly, it charges the start battery first then the house as needed.
Attached is a visual.
Something is not right if that one battery was not getting a charge..(?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc Verado charging.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	321186  

Last edited by T Mac; 08-27-2020 at 09:07 AM.