Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can anyone explain Lunds Battery Setup - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Yes.. the kit and isolator enables the Verado to charge both batteries ...as needed . Done correctly, it charges the start battery first then the house as needed.
Attached is a visual.
Something is not right if that one battery was not getting a charge..(?)
Great information - Thanks for sharing. My boat seems to have a device that looks like the item marked F in the compartment where the power steering is not in the battery compartment, I wonder if it is already set up to charge both batteries. The kicker was added by the dealer as a dealer option not the factory.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Great information - Thanks for sharing. My boat seems to have a device that looks like the item marked F in the compartment where the power steering is not in the battery compartment, I wonder if it is already set up to charge both batteries. The kicker was added by the dealer as a dealer option not the factory.
Yep- I kinda figured the dealer added the kicker from what you described.
Probably something simple....work with your dealer on this.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
A Verado and kicker installed properly !! Yahoo!

Basically--

One is the start battery and one is what we call the "house" battery. The "house" battery is needed for a boat with Verado power steering and a kicker. The kicker doesn't put out enough charge to keep up with the amount being used by the power steering pump when the Verado is not running but you are using the Verado power steerng on the kicker. A kit installed (sold by Mercury) enables the Verado to charge which ever battery needs it Tournament style boats with huge electronics and lots of them, also incorporate the "house" battery .
I have that system in my boat, works great.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2020, 11:42 AM
Keeper

Wow, you need a seperate battery just for the motor?

Do the Mercury Pro XS and Fourstrokes also need that?
Old 08-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Yes.. the kit and isolator enables the Verado to charge both batteries ...as needed . Done correctly, it charges the start battery first then the house as needed.
Attached is a visual.
Something is not right if that one battery was not getting a charge..(?)
I had this exact problem, after testing it turned out to be a bad isolator which wasnít allowing the second battery to charge. Easy to test with a multi meter. Google testing battery isolator.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Z View Post
I had this exact problem, after testing it turned out to be a bad isolator which wasnít allowing the second battery to charge. Easy to test with a multi meter. Google testing battery isolator.
That's definitely a good place to look .
Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post

depends, the reason they do it I think is for the power steering.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-01-2020, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post
Not on a simple boat...However, on a sophisticated, amped up, fishing boat with lots of electrical needs ...especially one that employs the Verado power steering pump to power steer a kicker motor
-Yes

Quote:
No power steering... no need.
..Unless you have an amazing amount of electronics.

Last edited by T Mac; 09-01-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Just because people have title of dealer does not mean they know what they are doing in all cases.
Truer words were never spoken.

With the sincerest respect to all posters, I don’t understand why some of you guys are willing to suggest that the dealers that create these types of issues can properly correct the issues they created. It’s a bit like trusting free security monitoring from the same company that had a security breach and allowed your info to be hacked in the first place. I’ve learned this lesson the hard way. It doesn’t matter that they should know better, it doesn’t matter that they should be responsible for fixing these issues, sometimes they’re just not capable.

Of course this doesn’t apply to all dealers, but properly rigging these boats and troubleshooting issues is becoming a lost art. I had one dealer tell me it’s not worth his time to get Mercury certified. He said there were too many classes and he thought “these motors are simple”. This individual wasn’t even able to swap out a battery on my boat without blowing fuses and leaving several connections so loose the lock washers could be spun in place.

I’m just surprised that the trust in dealer’s service departments is so high on this board and it was refreshing to see the OP’s post quoted above because sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who has encountered issues that dealers are just not capable of troubleshooting and correcting.

Apologies for the rant. I’m still cleaning up issues on my “new” rig which is over a year old now. To be fair, most of my issues were caused by the factory, but getting local dealers to correct them has not been easy.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
Truer words were never spoken.

With the sincerest respect to all posters, I donít understand why some of you guys are willing to suggest that the dealers that create these types of issues can properly correct the issues they created. Itís a bit like trusting free security monitoring from the same company that had a security breach and allowed your info to be hacked in the first place. Iíve learned this lesson the hard way. It doesnít matter that they should know better, it doesnít matter that they should be responsible for fixing these issues, sometimes theyíre just not capable.

Of course this doesnít apply to all dealers, but properly rigging these boats and troubleshooting issues is becoming a lost art. I had one dealer tell me itís not worth his time to get Mercury certified. He said there were too many classes and he thought ďthese motors are simpleĒ. This individual wasnít even able to swap out a battery on my boat without blowing fuses and leaving several connections so loose the lock washers could be spun in place.

Iím just surprised that the trust in dealerís service departments is so high on this board and it was refreshing to see the OPís post quoted above because sometimes I feel like Iím the only one who has encountered issues that dealers are just not capable of troubleshooting and correcting.

Apologies for the rant. Iím still cleaning up issues on my ďnewĒ rig which is over a year old now. To be fair, most of my issues were caused by the factory, but getting local dealers to correct them has not been easy.
I think this is a loaded answer to a loaded question. How I want my boat rigged (or expectation), or how a dealer who rigs boats daily does it, or what i found on the internet says it should be could be 3 different answers.

When I was working with the dealer on some accessories I wanted installed I was very articulate in how I wanted things wired, where I wanted things placed, what my expectations were from the get go based on stories / research on this forum and reading else where. I asked for my Verado starting to be on itís own battery, and everything else on the 5th battery installed. I asked for a 2nd battery charger to be dedicated to that 5th battery. They made a case for why with the new 15 EFI I donít have to be as concerned like previous versions of kickers.

The way Ranger rigs the 2019 and above you can run the starting battery dead and itís much easier to jump off the trolling batteries than ever before, so I think they get a little lax because you have a safety net that requires a twist of the knob.