Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Seeking knowledgeable, experienced advice on driving screws into my boat's interior - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default Seeking knowledgeable, experienced advice on driving screws into my boat's interior

I asked this in a related thread a few days ago but it was buried on a later page there, and the topic really deserves its own thread, anyway...

I purchased a new 620FS Cup a couple of months ago (in case you don't already know ), and I'm planning to drill some small holes into interior surfaces but I want to make sure I do a top-notch job of it. Be advised that pretty near EVERYTHING about boats is new to me - this is the first one I've owned - but I'm a careful fellow and I can heed advice/follow detailed instructions pretty well.

What I'm planning to do is mount several Beckson Clipper Clips ([url]https://www.beckson.com/plasticclips.html[/ur]) to the underside of a couple of compartment lids to secure some track-mounted rod holders when they're not in use, and also a couple of clips to an as-yet-undetermined interior wall to secure a gaff somewhere handy.

- Each clip has two 1/8" holes spaced 3/4" apart, and they say to use #6 flat head screws to mount them. What screw length, material and manufacturer (if you think manufacturer makes a difference) would you suggest I go with for my purpose?

- Should I use some sealant or adhesive in the holes I drill to ensure the screws don't work their way out and water doesn't work its way in? The guy in this linked video just says to use 3M Marine Grade Mildew Resistant Silicone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pflwgazdHs), but various other folks elsewhere online have recommended various other products, including some that seem ridiculously serious for my purpose.

- Any other advice (e.g. on pre-drilling screw holes or whatever) on how I can make particularly good-looking, strong and lasting installations?

Thanks a lot!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Gbin,
Speak to the Ranger factory customer service to be sure you know what is on the back side of where you are drilling and the appropriate fastener to use for the job.

Take care
Old 09-02-2020, 03:14 PM
welll

Ranger lids are fiberglass with a foam core. while they will support a ton of weight they don't grab screws particularly well so it is easy to strip the hole on installation. Don't expect anything you screw into the underside to hold a lot of weight...it's just not what they are designed to do. Short stainless screws are required...only the first 1/8 of the material of the lid will actually provide the mounting surface under that is foam which gives no support for screws. use the fattest short screw that works for your device and pre-drill a pilot hole the same diameter of the screw and hand tighten the screws.

This is NOT how you drill into shinny exposed fiberglass...that is another matter.

Or call Ranger like REW suggest every time he does not have the answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

well has a very good point about the thin layer of fiber glass on the bottom side of the cover. A few years ago a dealer told me he wouldn't mount an onboard charger on the bottom of a compartment door unless there were carriage bolts going all the way through the cover, while we were negotiating on a boat.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:49 AM
Wallhanger

Some solid advice here - just what I've come to rely on you folks for!

I will be sure to talk it over with Ranger before drilling any holes, and I'll think over my preferred mounting location for the rod holders' clips, too. (Though it seems so perfect in other regards.) I wonder if there's some special kind of fastener for use on fiberglass with foam core...

Much appreciated!

Gerry
Old 09-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Slot Fish

If the surface is too thin to mount directly, you could use an adhesive to mount a piece of 1x cedar to the fiberglass and then put the screws into the cedar.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Some solid advice here - just what I've come to rely on you folks for!

I will be sure to talk it over with Ranger before drilling any holes, and I'll think over my preferred mounting location for the rod holders' clips, too. (Though it seems so perfect in other regards.) I wonder if there's some special kind of fastener for use on fiberglass with foam core...

Much appreciated!

Gerry
The other alternative to screws is adhesive. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1170224&rt=rud

You might be pleasantly surprised at just what can be done with adhesives now days, no holes required, does not matter what may or may not be behind the panel.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:11 AM
Keeper

I think I know what you are contemplating?...I'd be careful. A few waves hit square and you might find your clips or deck lid screws failed if those components weight much...PLUS they will take up storage space in the compartment below, possibly not allowing the lids to shut when you put stuff in them for the day ...they will likely make the doors harder/heavier to operate... that just seems cumbersome and inefficient...at a minimum Id start with an adhesive as mentioned above.

For me, I would never hang anything of any real weight/size from the back of deck lids.. but that's me....i got a stick on lure hanger once, seemed great in concept but in practice it sucked. the lures got hung up on anything I put in the compartment. It is still there but empty..

For me, the mods I make to my boat are always AFTER I have recognized a problem and decided on the water in real time I need a mod to be more efficient etc. this might not be a bad moment for that approach...
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors

Last edited by kswalleyer; 09-03-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I have to ask...why do you want to reduce the amount of space in a compartment just to hold the rod holders?

Won't you be using them when you're on the water?

If you don't want to travel with them on, because of the cover, just wrap them in towel (if they are aluminum) and lay them on the floor, or put them in a tote, until you arrive to your destination, and then put them back on.

If you put them under a lid, you're going to lose a good 2 to 4 inches (if not more because of the clip size too) of space because of them hanging down, and then, there's that space near the latch you can't use, because it will interfere with it.

I just don't see the need or the logic to this one?

There's also the question of what will happen when you go to sell it someday? Will the new owner want the lids like this? Probably not.

Just something to ponder....
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 09-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

I understand that some people prefer to have their rod holders out and ready at all times, dismounting them only to cover their boat (if then). My preference is otherwise, to have them stowed except when I actually mean to use them, which certainly isn't all of the time. Plenty of the time I prefer to fish with a single rod held in my hands, and sometimes I won't even be fishing at all but will instead be swimming with my wife, exercising our dog, whatever. Different strokes..., eh?

With respect to how I stow the rod holders, I dislike the idea of simply wrapping them or putting some kind of sock on them and putting them in a compartment where they will bury other things or get buried in turn. Again, different strokes...

But in light of possible concerns that folks here have raised with respect to my idea to clip them to the underside of compartment lids, as I said, I'm reconsidering that idea and planning to get Ranger's advice as part of my reassessment. If I do abandon that idea, I'll probably instead look toward mounting the clips on the inside walls of compartments so that the rod holders can be stowed upright, still easily grabbed when I want them but secure when I don't. Do folks have thoughts to share on that idea, as well? It'll take up at least a bit more useful room in the compartments, obviously, but scarcely more than would wrapping/socking the rod holders and laying them in compartments, as the clips themselves are very low profile.

Whatever I end up doing, please bear in mind that resale considerations are not considerations for me AT ALL. I made an effort to buy what I wanted in a new, high-end boat for my use and enjoyment, in the coming days/weeks/months/years I'm going to modify the boat as I think best for my further use and enjoyment of it, and I see no reason to think that I will ever want to replace or be rid of the boat while I'm alive. I also don't need the money that would come from any such resale (or I wouldn't have bought the boat in the first place). I'm perfectly content to let my heirs worry about what happens to the boat when I'm gone.

Gerry