Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need wisdom: Purchasing my second ever real boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Minnow

Default Need wisdom: Purchasing my second ever real boat

Long story short. I bought a 2000 Lund Fisherman 18' 10 years ago, 150 Vmax (1000-1200hrs?), Terrova i-pilot, 94sv...I'm pretty set.
My theory is that I've got a lot of mileage out of the boat and I'm considering getting a boat that's almost the same age but has been used a lot less.
Does that sound crazy?
Ok. So my general thoughts are to buy a bout that's older and more set up to tournament fishing and again...is/was used less than mine.
I looked at glass boats but I don't think I'm financially ready to make that leap...nor am I ready to worry that much about running into things on up on the beach or "kissing" the dock, etc. I fish some tournaments where it could make a big difference but tourney fishing isn't as important to me as just fishing and fishing with friends and family.
A few candidates I have found are a 2001 ProV 18' and a 2004 Starcraft Pro-Elite 18' with 125 and 135 hp merc engines with low hours respectively.
It's basically a lateral move I know.
My thought was to get a boat that hasn't fished 100 days a year for the past 10 years. Use the heck out of it and if the motor blows down the line...I re-power a 25 year old boat that isn't overly used and continue on down the road.
I do realize that I could do all of this with my current boat and it's always in the cards to just keep on keepin on

One thing that worries me is possible transom issues on a older boat but I think I just need to pay very close attention when inspecting potential boats.

I HAVE FOUND THAT THERE IS MUCH WISDOM TO BE GAINED FROM FOLKS ON THE INTERNET AND I RESPECT ALL THOUGHTS/IDEAS/OPINIONS AND THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING YOU ALL....SO HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT(S)!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

just a thought....in my little weird world, I have found that it seems time kills things, not so much use....i'd keep what you got if its working....you can always lateral move later...also, in some cases, repowering down the road is getting harder as the 4 strokes weigh more than the old 2 strokes so you may have to go down in HP considerably if you are repowering something like a 150HP because of weight.

spend the money you save on better gear/electronics and go fishin!
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors
Old 09-14-2020, 02:53 PM
Minnow

I have a 2005 Mr Pike 18 for sale that has a Yamaha Vmax 150 and a T8 Yamaha kicker. It is a single console. It might be used for 20 days a year and it is in excellent condition. I have checked the transom and it is fine. You can see it in the classified section of Walleye Central for a full description there. I just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm going to Mille Lacs this week and then I'm pretty much done using it for the year. The only reason I'm selling it is that I'm looking to purchase my dream boat. I never really planned on selling my boat until my wife gave me the okay for a new one.

Best wishes in whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Slot Fish

In my opinion I wouldn't bother changing boats.

However if I had to change boats I would get a newer boat, find one that has the right number of hours, that is 5-10 yrs old and use it the way you want to. The problem with a boat that is 20 yrs old is that small problems can become big problems if a $ 10 part is now obsolete.

Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:56 PM
Keeper

I see no advantage changing from your boat to another boat that is the same vintage and the same construction.

You know what you have. Stay with it. And if you need to report, do it on your boat (although I would still consider your boat to be low hours).
Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Keeper

If you like your current Lund Fisherman then maybe a 2005 Lund 1850 Tyee Magnum would interest you. I hate to say it but less than 100 hours on the Yamaha 200 HPDI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020417.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	321474  
Old 09-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Keeper

That's really nice, Net man. How much you selling it for?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternWashingtonBoater View Post
That's really nice, Net man. How much you selling it for?
Price - not sure. I have not offered it for sale previously. I am more of a tiller boat guy which is my second boat. Between this and not fishing as much the Tyee is getting very little use and I am feeling bad about this.

Probably around $19,000 depending on what accessories a potential buyer would desire with it. The bimini top and cover are specific to this boat and surely would go with it but I also have multiple accessories that do not need to be included in the package.

I hate to throw in too many accessories that I then will have to turn right around and have to buy the exact same thing...........

This magnum series was a bit more fishing orientated than the standard Tyee. This is mostly in the rear section of the boat. I surely could provide more information and more pictures for further discussion if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020434.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	321480  
Old 09-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the input folks. Thanks for the offer on the Tyee. I really need that rear casting deck though. Also you can see that us eastern Washington folk are quick to jump on any good boat for sale.
I looked at a 2008 ProV 20’ w/200 verado and a 2004 Starcraft 18’ w/135 Opti...lots of choices out there for sure.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Keeper

Regardless, that is a SUPERB DEAL on that Tyee Magnum if it's for $19K and < 200hrs on the Yamaha. Looks extremely well taken care of, and that's what counts when it comes to boats.

I think a used Lund, or Alumacraft, from the mid 2000's, if taken care of is easily as nice as a new boat and less than half the price.

I have a boat already, but if I didn't, I'd be seriously thinking of a long drive ...

There's a lot of nice, choice vessels for sale in the Midwest. Here, not a lot and they're all priced high.