Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix low voltage - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default Helix low voltage

I got the spec off of their web page...a screen shot is below. The manual does say 10-20 volts. I am not particularly defending the manufacturer; I am just saying the units they delivered to me meet their specifications. I have seen input voltage drop considerably more than three volts when I start my motor (from 13 to 10 volts). This was when I was running three depth finders two live wells, and a stereo at the time. If your battery is only at 10.5 volts when not cranking, I am quite certain the voltage drop will be more than .5 volts. Then you would be out of spec per the manual.

The manual does not state that the battery, when tested statically is good to go at 10.5 volts, it just says the input voltage must be greater than 10 volts. During cranking, voltage could drop considerably, making the input to the Helix less than 10 volts.

Here is the screen shot:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ad36d46b12.png

Frank

Last edited by BreezyPoint; 09-29-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Keeper

If your load tester is showing marginal on a 100 amp tester, that's your #1 fault. Your #2 fault is an actual bad battery.

You should be placing a load equal to 1/2 the rated cca on that battery to test it. If it's rated for 750 cca, that would be a 375 amp load.

How do you like your crow? Fried? Soup? BBQ?

The problem isn't humminbird. It's how you are testing your battery and claiming it's marginal and it's really bad.

I have two load testers. One that only tests 125 amps and a full carbon pile that will test to 500 amp load. Why? Because I learned this lesson 5 years ago. Those fixed load testers are only good for testing a motorcycle battery or something similar.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)

Not only that but a quality DMM with true RMS measuring capability as well as a decent oscilloscope can show EXACTLY what is occurring.

But when you have an armchair keyboard commando that knows more than a collective pile of experienced users or even people with actual experience in designing electronics circuitry, you just can't tell someone that has Google handy as a source of professional "knowledge"...LOL!

I've bee diddling with these things for over 25 years and have picked up a thing or two - running 4 units takes a good source of clean, stable power and I have zero reboots when I crank up my rig.

I do not manage a communication electronics shop anymore, and I am not particularly proud of being part of my current employers engineering staff either.

What I am proud of is my ability to think outside the box, analyze problems and solve them, and my previous experience has helped me help countless others with various unit issues so they can get the most from their units.

Having a fairly decent understanding of the effects or inductance, capacitive reactance, resistance and the effects of harmonic distortion has helped me cure a lot of oddities on installations as far away as Moscow and Australia.

There's really NO point in coming on a forum and contradicting the truth - it doesn't contribute to the bottom line for anyone, getting angry fixes nothing either.

After you've enjoyed your crow however you like it prepared, I can get you some Cool Whip for your humble pie as well if you like.

Running a separate battery will certainly cure the issue - although it's much more fun to be mad at the world when things don't go as expected. Placing blame ROCKS!

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V
Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerj View Post
If your load tester is showing marginal on a 100 amp tester, that's your #1 fault. Your #2 fault is an actual bad battery.

You should be placing a load equal to 1/2 the rated cca on that battery to test it. If it's rated for 750 cca, that would be a 375 amp load.

How do you like your crow? Fried? Soup? BBQ?

The problem isn't humminbird. It's how you are testing your battery and claiming it's marginal and it's really bad.

I have two load testers. One that only tests 125 amps and a full carbon pile that will test to 500 amp load. Why? Because I learned this lesson 5 years ago. Those fixed load testers are only good for testing a motorcycle battery or something similar.
I now know that I should have known that a battery that tests ďgoodĒ during a load test is actually ďbadĒ. And Now I know that I should have known that a 100 amp load tester is insufficient to measure a cranking battery for an outboard starter fused at 30 amps. Please appreciate I put a 300 amp load tester in my Amazon cart. Not to mention an oscilloscope and a mandatory house battery, that I didnít think I needed to exclusively power a 7Ē sonar drawing 800 milliamperes and a diesel truck if I get another one. Silly me for being so stupid for not thinking of that. And the wisdom you have imparted no doubt has provided great guidance for similarly stupid prospective buyers as I. Now they know what they need to properly install the product. Iíll Enjoy the crow knowing I have helped the similarly challenged participants on this forum to keep the product up and running.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 PM
Keeper

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	was-that-sarcasm-33337809.png
Views:	16
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	304734  
Old 09-29-2018, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Lol......I think it was!

Matyu
Old 09-30-2018, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)
Default Hmmmm...

Or was it a guest appearance by mr. richard know it all?

I'm done here - have fun guys, and don't forget "you can't fix......"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrknow_it all4i.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	304736  

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V
Old 09-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
Or was it a guest appearance by mr. richard know it all?

I'm done here - have fun guys, and don't forget "you can't fix......"

Come on guys. He simply didnít understand voltage drop while cranking. You donít need to pile on! That could be you next time with a misunderstanding. He may have something really useful to bring to the table in the future and if you beat him up, he may not.

Frank
Old 09-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
Come on guys. He simply didnít understand voltage drop while cranking. You donít need to pile on! That could be you next time with a misunderstanding. He may have something really useful to bring to the table in the future and if you beat him up, he may not.

Frank
Yeah, that's pretty much a point that's been made.

Unless you are in a specific clique here, you're pretty much not welcome.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty much a point that's been made.

Unless you are in a specific clique here, you're pretty much not welcome.

Yes I am in a clique here. Itís called decency and respect. So I guess I am still welcome here!

Frank