Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod and Reel combos for fly ins - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-06-2020, 06:46 AM
Keeper

Default Rod and Reel combos for fly ins

I don't consider myself a gearhead or an expert when it comes to rods and reels

But often find its one of those things that first timers tend to ask about

How many do you bring? 1 piece or two piece? Braid or mono or flourocarbon?

I bring three 1 piece rods - full details are up on a new post but definitely interested in hearing others opinions? Especially for pike set ups

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/m...n-fishing-trip

Cheers
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

I have to fly commercially anytime I want to go to Canada just to get within striking distance of a lake that I want to fish. Over the years I have brought one piece rods in a rod tube as checked luggage, but now I have just gone to two piece rods for ease of travel. I can fit 2 two piece spinning rods ( 5 6 UL) and 2 two piece casting rods ( 6 6 MH ) in a repurposed cardboard tube that new rods shipped in when I bought them. I made a handle for the tube and can now just carry my rods on the plane for free and stow them in the overhead bins or in a coat closet on the plane.

I have never felt like the two piece rods comprised my ability to catch quality size fish and I can buy new ones with the savings on checked baggage fees of about $140.00 per year.

PjShorthorn
Old 03-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

One 6' light action 2-pc. spinning rod for jigging walleye - 6lb mono. Nothing fancy.

One 7' medium action 2-pc. spinning rod for casting pike. 10lb braid with a steel leader.

One 7' medium action 2-pc. spinning rod as a backup.

One 4-pc 8wt fly rod for pike. Man is that fun!!

Rods go in a plastic tube designed for big rolled up documents. Lightweight, cheap, and plenty strong enough to protect the rods.

Reels get packed in my clothing bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default My 3 rod line up

I would pack the following 3 rods to cover the bases on a pike/walleye/small mouth trip
1) 66 ML fast action spinning rod with 8# nanofil. This is a great versatile rod for jigs, small cranks, in-line spinners
2) 68 M XF spinning rod. Spooled with 8# trilene xl mono. This rod is great for snap/rip jigging. Working a jerk bait. I also would use this for slip bobbers.
Both spinning rods have diawa fuego 2500 xh reels.
3) 7 MH moderate casting rod. St Croix bounce and troll. With a small line counter reel and 14# braid. This will be used for all trolling applications.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:52 AM
Minnow

I have 4 Rods I choose from for Canada Fly in trips but I only ever take in two because of space. I have never needed more and My Tackle bag is from Orvis and holds 4 Plano 3600 boxes and I always have one 3600 full of assorted Jigs, the others depends what is target Walleye’s or Northern Pike. I have never needed more Tackle or two rods.
St Croix Legend 6’6 casting M-H fast action
St Croix Legend 6’3 spinning M extra fast
St Croix Avid spinning 5’9 M extra fast
Berkley Bionix casting 6’6 M
If it is a Trophy Northern lake like Walston Lake I just take the two casting rods with 17lb Berkley XL mono biggest Northern Pike 47 inch and I have never needed a stronger line but I might try a 50lb Braid on one rod on my next trip to see if it improves my casting distance. Still looking for a 50 inch Pike.
If it is a Walleye lake I take the two spinning rods. One with 10lb ProwerPro
one 6lb Berkley Xl mono or 8lb PowerPro
Largest Walleye 28 inch and 45 inch Northern Pike on the rod with braid spinning rod.
Reel choices have been all Shimano but I am going to start trying Daiwa as I have seen good things from them, I never have had a reel break up north.
My Rod case is 2inch PVC home made and it’s strong and it holds two rods. I have seen rods show up in camp from other Manufactures rod case with broken rod.
Daypack to carry Rain Gear Cabela’s Guide wear and odds and ends.
I have had between 15-20 trips to Canada I would guess.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Keeper

I take 3 rods, 1 light action for walleye, 2 medium-MH for pike/lake trout. For the money it is hard for me to beat the pflueger president reals.....the one drawback is their weight. I did treat myself a few years back to the shimano C4........nice lightweight reel for all day casting/jigging. My 3rd rod and reels are strictly back-ups.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Default Rods for Fly in Trips

Lake Trout (Trolling)
Shimano Tekota 5000LC and St Criox 7ft MH2 Premier Muskie Casting

Pike (Casting spoons / spinners / etc up to 1oz)
Shimano Stradic 4000 Ci4 (40lb Super Slick Power Pro braid)and St. Criox Spinning MHF2 7 ft Legend Elite

Pike (Casting / Trolling heavy stuff)
Shimano Stradic 5000 832 braid 40lb with a St. Criox MHF Saltwater Tidemaster 7'6"

Walleyes
Shimano Stradic 4000 Ci4 with Mono 8lb and a St Criox MXF 7' or 7'6" Legend Elite

Brett
Old 03-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

We have 6 guys and we each bring 2 spinning and 2 baitcasting rod and reel setups - all 1 piece rods. Like PJ, we also have to fly to International Falls or Winnipeg on our way to our destination in Ontario. I have a Bazuka Pro rod tube that will easily hold 12 rods, so that covers 3 of us. The airline (Delta) will also allow us to tape 3 individual rod tubes together and count them as a single bag-check, so we all chip in and tie them together. We carry our fishfinder head units and all of our reels in our carry-on bags.

We mostly have an assortment of St Croix Eyecon and Mojo Bass rods with a different brand/model or 2 thrown in here and there. We use mostly Shimano Curado, Abu Garcia Revo, and BPS Extreme baitcasting reels, and Shimano Stradic, Sahara, and Pflueger President spinning reels.

I use 20# braid with a 12# fluorocarbon leader on my spinning rods and 20# braid on my baitcasters. Sometimes I will tie on a steel leader for my pike lures as long as long as I don't think it will negatively impact the action of the lure. Otherwise I tie straight to my braid. My spinning rods are medium extra fast and my casting rods are medium heavy fast.

Of course, we also have to bring our Disney Princess rod and reel combo.

Last edited by Mojo-NC; 03-06-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:56 AM
Keeper

Some great food for thought
I need to think more about the 2 piece
I have been thinking about a 7 or 7 foot 6 spinning combination for chucking spoons for pike
Maybe a mh or a heavy
I do have a cheaper 7 foot Fenwick fish eagle two piece that I use for cottage and kayak fishing and it's a great rod
Cheers
Andrew
Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Keeper

I know it is a good buck but if I was looking for one pike rod, I was seriously consider the St. Criox Premier HF 2 piece. In the states it runs about 180-190. It has about the longest handle you can get in their freshwater line and it has good back bone without being a serious chore to cast all day. The same rod comes in a 2 piece MH too but the handle is an inch or two shorter.

My two cents for what it is worth.

Brett