Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Northern Leaders - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-21-2020, 05:51 AM
Slot Fish

Default Northern Leaders

Well since it is f n boring due to the virus, I’ve decided to make some leaders for Northerns (no muskies where I fish).

Interested in what others use be it mono or fluro, test # and any other suggestions. I know titanium are also popular n if single wire or strand is preferred.

After that then off to crawler harnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 06:42 AM
Wallhanger

I like a 12" strand wire. I've tried floro and know that others say it's the cats meow, however I can't tell any difference.

What type of snaps are you crimping on?
Old 03-21-2020, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

I like the VMC touch lok snaps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Keeper

In general I prefer Flouro for pike especially for larger fish. The ability to grab and hold the leader is by far the easiest. If I am catching numbers of smaller pike the shear number of fish will tend to cause the Flouro to get nicked over and over and need to be changed out. In that case the Titanium really shines. I have some that I know have over 1000 fish on them and they are still good to go.

Another plus of Flouro if you are tying your own you can just cut off the ends and throw them back in the box and the cost is almost nothing.

I never use wire anymore and gave away my last few last summer. Just not worth the hassle of kinks.

Straight single wire Titanium is for glide baits when you jerk and pause is where it shines. The other leaders tend to get tangled in the hooks on the pause when the lure swims sideways or backward.

Just my two cents.

Brett
Old 03-21-2020, 12:53 PM
Slot Fish

I have been using 40# test fluro for my leaders with no bite offs but curious what others use for Northerns.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Keeper

My preference is at least 80lbs. I am less worried when I have to pull fish out of weeds. It also
takes a few more nicks and gouges.

Brett
Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
I like the VMC touch lok snaps
Agreed, those seem to hold well for me also.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Use the best fasteners you can find.

100 lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader material works well for me.

I have a stash of Berkley fasteners, purchased several years ago. 100 lb

Doublebarrel sleeves work better than single barrel because they don't mash line as much.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM
Keeper

I use 20-30# and 70#-80# single strand/7-strand titanium for most cranks and spoons. I never made these though. It is strong and light.

I do make leaders for trolling and jerkbaits/soft plastics.

Trolling I used 130-200# mono leader material (Hi-Seas Grand Slam). It is stiffer than regular mono and used for salt water fishing. Double barrel crimp sleeves, American Fishing Wire ball bearing swivels (#4 or 5) and stay-lok snaps from various companies (e.g., Mustad, Stringease).

For jerk baits and soft plastics I use solid stainless steel wire (AFW Tooth Proof) in 174-240#. Same swivels and snaps. For some soft plastics I also use a leader with a hook instead of a snap.

I like the American Fishing Wire (Hi-Seas is the same company) products. Not too expensive and the quality has been good so far.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Making leaders during this time of uncertainty is a great pass-time as it is productive time in terms of accomplishing something, while looking forward to better times!

I've been making my own leaders for about fifteen years or so, for northern pike and muskies. I happen to believe that there is no one-size fits all leader. I view leaders as being akin to tools. Each tool has an intended purpose.

Most of my fishing for northern pike is with spinner baits, in-line bucktails, spoons, and jerk/glide baits. I normally use a leader made with 7-strand wire when throwing spinner baits, in-line bucktails and spoons. I switch over to single strand wire for the jerk and glide baits.

My seven strand wires are all tied with knots. I never rely solely upon a crimped sleeve to secure hardware, although I do use a crimped sleeve to tack down the tag end. I switched many years ago to using split rings to attach my lures, rather than snaps. I tie the seven strand wire to a welded ring and then attach the split ring. I use a ball-bearing swivel on the other end of the leader. I most often use seven strand wire rated at 90 pounds. Most of these leaders are around nine inches in length. I found that the split ring pliers by Xuron, with the powder blue handles, to be the best that I have tried.

My single strand wire leaders have the same hardware. The length and diameter of this leader depends upon the size of the bait. I do not want the wire leader to impede the action of the lure. Thus, the leaders tend to be around six inches with smaller lures in the springtime, and increase to around 9-10 inches with larger lures in the autumn. I don't recall the diameters of the single strand wires that I use most often, but do recall that they are rated in the 75-120 pound range.

I never use a split ring directly attached to a leader, rather use a welded ring between the leader and the split ring. I never have two split rings arranged nose-to-nose. I found either of these situations to be a recipe for a disaster.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Good fishing and tight lines!!