Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Off Shore Planer Board Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-29-2020, 04:32 AM
Minnow

Default Off Shore Planer Board Help

Last year I bought the Off Shore boards and used them to troll bandits and spoons on Lake Erie for walleye. This year, I decided to add the OR black snaps (OR18) to use with the 15# braid that I use. This past week I tried them for the first time and just the wave action alone snapped two of my lines with brand new fireline right at the beginning of throwing them out. It scared me so I didn’t use the boards the rest of the trip. I am not sure what I am doing wrong? I figure it must be one of three things: 1) Tension needs backed off on the OR18? 2) I am not clipping the line right with the OR 18? or 3) I have a fluke bad spool of new line. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Snapping braided line? Sounds like bad line to me.

How old is your line?
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 AM
Minnow

Brand new fire line. That’s why I was baffled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 AM
Keeper

You say "right at the beginning of throwing them out" you're not casting them out are you?

Last edited by Clairebear; 03-29-2020 at 05:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2020, 06:08 AM
Minnow

No. Not casting them. I used them a lot last year so I know how to use them. Just the snaps are new to me. I tossed four out. Started to get some resistance on them to start trolling and as soon as I got resistance on them 2 of the four lines out snapped. That’s why I wondered if the tension can be tight enough to actually snap braid? I put the snaps on without any adjustments to the tension. Line is brand new never used straight out of the package fire line.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

I use a heavier braid (30) to match the PTD app, can you break the line by hand? Are all of the releases doing the same thing? Pretty hard to do something wrong so if it was me i would be upping my braid test. Can't see a bad batch of releases. Good luck and let us know.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 03-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Is the line breaking at a certain point, similar on all rods? Have you checked your rod guides?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Minnow

Maybe switch to Power Pro @ 20 - 30 Lb. I run 6 Offshore boards with the OR-18 release. Is there a reason that you are running that light of line? Just attach a 10 ft. leader of a lighter florocarbon or mono.
Normally do not attach the rear release, just fight the board in. I do have a couple of OE boards with the tell-tale flags that I use in shallow or weedy areas.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Or just respool with mono. I see no benefit running braid on small boards. I started out a bass guy and love braid that's why when i got into walleye fishing i spooled all my trolling gear with braid. It was terrible, respooled with mono and never looked back . Now dipseys, run them with braid, but something like 20 series linecounters with small boards- mono all the way.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 03-29-2020, 09:57 AM
Minnow

Thanks everyone. Itís got to be a fluke bad spool of new line. Although I canít break it by hand I just ran that line through all four of the boards I was using and I could actually pull the line through each of the clips. So the clips arenít causing the break. Guess I will switch to power pro with a fluorocarbon leader. Iím seeing both 20# and 30# recommendations. Any preference of one over the other for pulling crank baits and spoons on Erie?