Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mainline for walleye Jigging - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post
Yes, Jigging is great with braid, the deeper you jig the more the benefit over mono, because of sensitivity and (no) stretch.

The leader is there to add a little stretch and for me it allows loop knots which I like to use. The leader is not necessary and tying the jig directly to the braid works great.
Thank you, I appreciate that information. I had been using the braid the last few seasons, like I mentioned strictly for casting into shore, bushy areas, or weeds. I am still getting use to the feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post
I pretty much use braid with a leader for most applications these days. There are times no leader is needed(as mentioned), mono is a great tool, but for the way I fish(cast structure and jig) it can pretty much do everything with braid.
Good information. I did save some of the Fluorocarbon from the spools I spooled up. I will give the leader a try this year. By the way this is the first year to use fluorocarbon, so trial and error.

Much appreciated! Happy fishing!
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Minnow

Rich A,
Too many variables with the little amount of info you gave to get a clear answer. Picking a line should match up with technique, lure, rod choice and environment you are fishing.

So, your answer could be narrowed down by explaining what rod are you using and are you fishing around structure in that tea stained water.

I love braid but personally do not like using it with a extra fast/med powered rod. Lack of stretch in the line plus the very quick transition to the rod's power led to a lot of lost fish for me. I believe fluorocarbon or mono would be a better choice with this type of rod. If you have a fast action and/or a ml/light powered rod, the rod is much more forgiving when using braid.

For environment, if fishing around rocks, stumps or logs, if you decide to use braid, tie on a leader. Braid is not very abrasion resistant and can be difficult to break off when stuck.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

I have also gone to braid for most applications, but I have to admit that there are a couple of potential issues with braid on baitcasting reels.

I once accidentally set the hook on a snag. It buried the line in the spool to the point where I had to cut out about half of my line to get it out.

At other times the line can catch just enough to negatively impact your next cast, especially if you twitch or jerk your crankbaits or spinnerbaits during the retrieve to give them a little erratic action.

When using 20# or higher test braid, it can be very difficult to break off on a solid snag. You'd better have a leather glove or something you can wrap the line around while attempting to pull it out or break it off. Otherwise, the small diameter line can cut right into your skin.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
I once accidentally set the hook on a snag. It buried the line in the spool to the point where I had to cut out about half of my line to get it out.
I did have that happen to me last season. It's a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post

You'd better have a leather glove or something you can wrap the line around while attempting to pull it out or break it off. Otherwise, the small diameter line can cut right into your skin.
Good idea to have a clove in the boat.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meterman View Post
We fish stained tea water (LOTW) and I am a big fan of 6 Lb Fireline Crystal braid for all rods except downrigging/snap weights (use 10 Lb mono here to match the depth charts). For jigging we use a St. Croix medium light extra fast Legend Tournament or Elite rod with the 6 Lb. Fireline tied direct to a snap that is then attached to the jig. Works great for us.
We drift the flats using jigs and crawlers, with lot of line out (if not using bottom bouncers with spnners) on our lakes in KS after the spawn. Always have used mono(ML rods, fast tips) but what do you all think about using braid with a eader of mono or floro for this drifting jigs application? TIA

Gonz
Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonz View Post
Always have used mono(ML rods, fast tips) but what do you all think about using braid with a eader of mono or floro for this drifting jigs application?
I think that's a great idea. The braid should give crate transmission of what the bottom bouncer or whatever is weighted with through the rod. The leader is all for what line dia, color, for the presentation.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Keeper

Of course, need to set the drag light for snags!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Minnow

I run 2 rods for vertical jigging, and use the "15 foot rule" to dictate which one I'm going to use.

One set up is a 6'3 MLF with 6lb mono for jigging with small jigs (3/16oz or less) in 15 feet or less. The other is a 6'3 MXF with 8lb braid for jigging with 1/8oz or larger jigs in 15 feet and deeper.

Remember, the deeper you are, the heavier jig you will want (usually). However, you should always try to jig with the lightest jig you can get away with. Lighter jig = slower fall rate = more natural presentation of the bait.

Obviously this rule and which rod you use is also weather dependent, as it is extremely difficult to run light jigs when its super windy out, even in shallow water.

Cheers,
RJR
Old 04-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Minnow

Default snap swivel

When you are tying the jig to the braid are you using a snap swivel or just braid to jig?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Keeper

I fish in snaggy areas with moss covered rocks and severe overgrowth from a drought that wasn’t cleared before the lake refilled. This is the reason I like braid. When snagged I’ll just pop the line and 80% of the time retrieve my bait. Can’t do this with mono. I can simulate “stretch” with my reel’s drag setting. Using 10 lb braid with 10 lb flouro or mono leaders is the best for ME when casting jigs, rattle traps, jerk baits, and jigging raps. I use the same rods and reels for bass, too. All of my casting rods are ML or M fast or extra fast actions. Sensitivity is excellent, it’s like “feeling” the bottom image on your sonar.

We have a lot of hybrid striped bass and catfish around here, so the 10lb braid saves some lures I’d otherwise lose. The final advantage for me is longevity. I have a Shimano Stradic I bought in 2011 and spoiled with 10lb green Power-Pro. That reel still has the original line on it.