Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New rod - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Minnow

Iím in SE iowa near Burlington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Don't you use the same hand to crank both a bait casting and a spinning reel?

If not, why? Both reel types can be purchased for left hand cranking.

Why would a cast and retrieve technic be any different than a cast and jig technic? Wouldn't you still cast with your right and crank with your left?
Nope, my spinning rods/reels are all set up to hold the rod with my right hand and reel with my left hand. My baitcasters are set up to hold the rod with my left hand and reel with my right hand. I did purchase one "left-handed" baitcasting reel that you actually reel with your left hand. I purchased it for pitching jigs specifically for bass fishing. I don't really like it.

I generally use my baitcasting rods/reels for crankbaits, spoons, and spinnerbaits. I have learned to cast left-handed and reel right-handed so that I don't have to switch hands back and forth. Call me weird, but it works for me. I use my spinning rods/reels for what I consider finesse fishing - vertical jigging, drop-shots, plastics, and spinner rigs.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Keeper

Last year I finally picked up a nice casting set up with left hand retrieve and I love it. My other casting set ups have right hand retrieve Abu Garcia reels that are poor for casting but fine for trolling.
The new Mojo Bass with Shimano Curado is now one of my favorites.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

IA,
My favorite bait casting rod for lindy rigs and jigging is one that I made on a St. Croix 7'6" ml spinning rod blank.

At the time that I built the rod, the blanks sold for use as a spinning rod had considerably lighter power than the same blank sold for a bait caster. As a result, I personally found that the commercial 7'6" m l bait caster had too stiff a blank for the way that I liked to fish with a lindy rig or jig.

This was why, I used the presumed spinning rod blank, but built it as a casting rod. It is still my favorite lindy rig rod, if I am going to use a casting rod for lindy rigging.

Best wishes.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:14 AM
Minnow

Default New Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
Nope, my spinning rods/reels are all set up to hold the rod with my right hand and reel with my left hand. My baitcasters are set up to hold the rod with my left hand and reel with my right hand. I did purchase one "left-handed" baitcasting reel that you actually reel with your left hand. I purchased it for pitching jigs specifically for bass fishing. I don't really like it.

I generally use my baitcasting rods/reels for crankbaits, spoons, and spinnerbaits. I have learned to cast left-handed and reel right-handed so that I don't have to switch hands back and forth. Call me weird, but it works for me. I use my spinning rods/reels for what I consider finesse fishing - vertical jigging, drop-shots, plastics, and spinner rigs.
I am left hand dominant so I am already messed up! And I learned to fish 50+ years ago when reels were not offered in left and right retrieve. So I learned to use the reels as they were offered. In hindsight it was a good thing because I can cast with both hands, and reel with both hands. But oddly, I can only cast a bait caster with my left hand and a spinning reel with my right. And not having to switch the rod from one hand to the other is my normal...but as I mentioned...I am a southpaw!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Slot Fish

I personally like the Scheel’s brand rods. (website: www.scheels.com) I have a number of their “Walleye” series rods in lengths from 6’2” to 7” depending on how I am fishing. I use all spinning rods. They have a life time warranty and I have had to return a couple in the past and they have exchanged with no questions asked. Usually when we are jigging on Lake of the Woods and using heavier jigs (Yes, I have used up to 1.5 oz before) I use a shorter rod with 10 to 15 lbs. Power Pro. When we are pulling spinners, I tend to go to a little longer rod like the 7’ plus ones. This does change depending on what lake we are on. Mille Lacs is different than LOTW and different than Leach, etc. Just my preference and it has worked for me.
Minn Kota Ulterra W/Mega DI and I-Pilot Link

Last edited by rootdl; 03-13-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post

Guess I am a member of the weird club as well , but this exactly how I have my stuff set up , works for me
80# Ulterra
Helix Mega SI/DI,10, 9, 7
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA fog View Post
Ok guys looking for a new rod for walleye
Baitcaster
Lindy rigs and jigs mainly
I had a st croix but lost it in a fire a couple years back been borrowing gear since now Iím gonna start rebuilding my gear selection
Thanks
Sorry you don't have you St. Croix any longer.

Jigs can depend on where you jig, the depth you jig, and weight of your jig makes for a lot of options and choices. If you are only going to have one rod, for sure a med power 6' 8" spinning is a good all around.

Fishing in the river, I use heaver jigs depending on the current and depth. Calm open water I go with smaller jigs.

Lindy rigs I go Med Light 7' spinning rod.
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

Hello : Also a member of the weird club. I also purchased a left hand baitcaster but It just didn't work out for me. I can't tell you why, it should have worked great. Maybe I should only take my left handed baitcaster out and try to get used to it. No I will just keep on doing what I have been doing. Good Luck . 0- R
Old 04-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Slot Fish

I learned to cast multiple ways. You need to in my opinion. Underhand, backhand, left hand, right hand. But it's entirely different for some reason when I crank with left on a bait-casting reel. Crank with my left hand on spinning no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baitcasting.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	317184  
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery