Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ned rig ,for Eyes? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Fishing for smallmouth after dinner on this years Canada trip. Both of us throwing top water. Torpedo for boat partner and Jiggerbug for me. Had a follower all the way to the boat. Both of us dragging the baits back and forth. The fish stayed interested and still followed, but would not come up. Only had one other rod rigged up so my partner dropped the rig over the side right down to the fish. "POW" Fish-on the Ned Rig. 5 min later 30" tiger musky. Quite unexpected and that made it fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

We just got back from a 10-day Canada trip last Tuesday. My brother has fallen in love with the Ned-rig over this past year. He's caught a bunch of bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish and a few walleye on it. We had a good bite on one morning so we decided to try other tackle in our box and put on some colors we don't normally use. Of course, he got out his Ned-rig. That's quite an impressive bait I have to admit. He didn't catch quite as many as with live bait but the walleyes do like to eat it and the fish that did bite were larger fish. The second fish he caught was a 23" walleye.

I'd say it was pretty darn consistent throughout the week - it didn't catch as many fish as live bait but the fish it did catch were larger and generally in the over 18" range. Jigs with minnows probably out fished it overall by about 2:1. Another positive note was I don't think he changed his plastic TRD all week. Those dang things are indestructible. We ran out of minnows about mid-day on the day before we left so we would definitely have run out of minnows earlier if the guys hadn't started experimenting with this rig.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

we were on our way to wade a creek for smallies and my buddy couldn't stop talking about the ned rig. it was a few years ago, i'd never heard of it. we finally get to the creek and he ties on. and shows me. i'm like thats a jig and plastic. I show him my bait. a jig and strike king ocho. like brother i apparently have been fishing a ned rig for these smallies for years.

he assures me its different. obviously its a bit different but we basically use the same methodology for walleyes. and we catch walleyes in this creek on jigs and plastics all the time.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up watch the sun & heat

Tried the Ned rig this summer and it is the real deal (for bass, haven't tried on wallies yet). Be careful with the plastics - they are susceptible to heat damage. I left my plastic shoebox of plastics on the deck with my other tackle one day fishing and most of the NED rig plastics lost their shape -- The tubular worms flatten out in irregular shapes and the crawdad claws stuck together. No other plastics in the box were affected. I still like 'em, but have to baby them on the boat.

Warning: Don't watch the videos on the products or you will be compelled to buy a ton of their products. These products catch fisherman and fish.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Minnow

Default Walleye love Ned Rigs

I just returned from a fly-in trip to NE Ontario. I must be living under a rock because I had never heard of a ned rig until this trip. One of the people in our group, a regular angler on the Mississippi, introduced me to the technique. I gave it a try figuring later in the week we might need to try plastics as our minnow supply was depleted. Well, I am happy to report the walleye hammered the bait. The bite was a little slower than live bait, but the fish quality was really good. And that TRD Z-man material is tough so you can catch multiple fish without having to re-bait. Plus if you miss a bite, you can be confident the TRD is still on the jig head...no need to reel up and check the bait. I will use this method again in June.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Try one of these on a 1/6 or 1/5 Zman finesse jig.

Everything loves these.

https://www.zmanfishing.com/cms/products/trd_ticklerz/
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
we were on our way to wade a creek for smallies and my buddy couldn't stop talking about the ned rig. it was a few years ago, i'd never heard of it. we finally get to the creek and he ties on. and shows me. i'm like thats a jig and plastic. I show him my bait. a jig and strike king ocho. like brother i apparently have been fishing a ned rig for these smallies for years.

he assures me its different. obviously its a bit different but we basically use the same methodology for walleyes. and we catch walleyes in this creek on jigs and plastics all the time.
I guess I have been fishing them for years too. However, I was using a 1/4 oz jig. But I see from the video it's the lighter jigs. I am going to give it a try this year.
Lowrance Hook2 5 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Old 04-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

The biggest differences are the stand up style head and the light weight. I'm sure we all have stand up jigs in our boxes in 1/8 or more. Not many lighter than that.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:21 PM
Minnow

I'm definitely gonna have a Ned rig tied on for the opener.
Lowrance HDS-7 Gen2 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 80lb Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Keeper

Ned rig is one of my go to presentations for SMB on Mille Lacs and about the only issue I have with them is you can't keep the dang walleyes off them. Same when I've used them on Rainy or Namakin on the MN/Ontario border.
Ulterra 80 I-Link
Humminbird Helix 12 CHIRP SI G2N Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Bow
Minn Kota 12' Talon