Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What is your Walleye setup for opener - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
The last Saturday in April; opening day for inland walleye, pike and trout. For many years I've played it by ear because of the crowds and done what the weather dictated would give me the best shot for a good day. Things are different now because:
1. I've got 25 miles of trout stream to fish year round
2. Bass is open year round and those guys don't need the excuse that they're "fishing for pike" on the Last Saturday.
3. My nearest walleye lake has PFAS warnings and I don't know how that affected the fishing pressure last year, if at all, or will this year.
4. Lots of people get their early fix on the Detroit or Saginaw tribs and don't head north for opener. This year?
5. Other societal events that may keep the campgrounds and hotels from filling up.

I'll be up north with two boats, a bunch of spinning rods, fly rods, waders, tackle boxes full of jigs, plastics, blades and jerk baits, boxes full of flies and an ear to the ground. The option to be on an uncrowded famous river with one of the best and most dependable mayfly hatches of the year is very attractive. So is the option to be on one of the good walleye lakes with the fish up shallow and not much competition. Odds are I'll be on a lake before dawn and fish until 11 or so, head back to the cabin for a quick meal and watch the water for a hatch until 5, eat again and be back out on the river from 6:30 until dark looking for spinners.

Weather can and will change that plan.
Brings back good memories of trout opener I used to do mid April down at Forrestville St. Park. Waders, eddies, 17 " brown trout. Just me, in a tent, enjoying no crowds, and serenity! Good luck matching the hatch. Sounds like a great fishing trip, enjoy!
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
1-fishing rod
1- spool of line
1- 1/8th oz green jig
1-shiner minnow

Cast to a walleye and hit them on the head. When they recover, they will inhale the minnow.
Reel in.
Put it in the livewell or on the stringer
Take it to shore, fillet, fry in a pan with peanut oil along with baked beans and fried potatoes and a refreshment.
Clean up
Go back and repeat.
Keeping it simple! Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
The walleyes can wait..........it's JUMBO PERCH time ! ! !
I just read the regulation, you can catch bass on inland waters as long as it's catch and release. Who eats bass anyway, but throwing jigs up shallow might catch a few too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Master,
If you fish the St. Croix, there are a lot of brush piles that have been sunk for catching crappies.

Fish around the bridge pilings - both highway and rail road bridges. The pilings attract every species of fish in the water. Especially work the slack water on the downriver side of the pilings. The fish like to lay in wait - in these lower current waters for bait to wash down to them.

Since you are going out of Wood bury - the Hudson launch is an attractive one to use.

Also, since you are in Woodbury, put your boat in at the boat launch just south of 494 on the west side of the river. Lots o parking and from there you can go down river to fish some of the pools or upstream to work the center of the river as well as the riprap on the west side of the river. Just north of the 494 bridge on the west side of the river, there is a wonderful trolling run where you keep your hair jigs or ring tails about 5 feet off shore, and let the baits wander up and down the rip rap as you troll both upstream as well as down stream.

Also the channel that cuts behind Pigs Eye is a haven for fish.

All walleyes are catch and release in pool 2 - for that section of the Mississippi. But there are lots of crappies in these waters they make a great lunch. Then, the silvers and the catfish give one an opportunity for a fighting fish.

I used to fish with minnows, but after fishing with my buddy who used only hair jigs and rain tails for terminal tackle and who out fished me about 100:1 with the artificial baits, caused me to stop bringing live bait.

The advantage of using the ring tails, hair jigs and blade bait is the current. The current is always moving and really gives action to these various examples of artificial lures.

However, when fishing pool 3 down by red wing - I generally use minnows and catch many more fish on minnows, compared to artificial.

But, I have also had very good luck, fishing below the dam on the east side of the island below the dam dividing the Mn and the Wi sides of the river. Again, use the current to your advantage when fishing the river.

Be safe
Old 04-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchither View Post
I can't wait for opener. I never do Walleye opener, but with this quarantine stuff I might as well since I have the time. So my question for you Walleye Kings out there, for Walleye opener what presentations is your tried and true?

Here is what I am thing for walleye opener:

Lindy Rigs, and slow trolling Rapalas - St. Croix Triumph 6' 8" med. lt pwr Spinning matched with Diawa Exceler 2500 spooled 10 lb invix fluorocarbon.

light weight/small jigs
G. Loomis 721 6' med. lt, Spinning matched with Pflueger Supreme spooled 10 lb invix fluorocarbon.

Floats for throwing light small lures
Jonny Morris 7' med lt carbonlite 2.0, Spinning matched with Pflueger President 25, no line.

medium weight jigs
St. Croix Eyeon 6' 8" med extra fast, Spinning matched with Diawa Regal 3000 spooled 10 lb invix fluorocarbon.

Toko rigs (first time ever using them) and anything dragging on the bottom
Jonny Morris 7' Med pwr fast Casting matched with Abu Garcia Revo 14 lb Braid.
I bet you and me are the only ones that have a Diawa 1300 tournament series spinning reel ?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyecheek View Post
I bet you and me are the only ones that have a Diawa 1300 tournament series spinning reel ?
It's a tried and true reel. That reel has caught so many fish than any other of my setups. I have a SS 700 too, for the small mouth bass and walleye.

I debated if I would retire those two this year. I picked up few other nice reals these last two seasons.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Slot Fish

I will be pulling rapala shallow shad raps with 42 ft of line out on my line counter reel ,,, Trolling in 5-7 fow frequently pulling the rod forward to change speed of the rap ,,, With 2 rods often by the time I pull forward on the second rod the first rod has a fish on it

2003 Lund Rebel
40 HP Yamaha

Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from Bad judgement
Old 04-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonASea View Post
I will be pulling rapala shallow shad raps with 42 ft of line out on my line counter reel ,,, Trolling in 5-7 fow frequently pulling the rod forward to change speed of the rap ,,, With 2 rods often by the time I pull forward on the second rod the first rod has a fish on it
Sounds awesome! Is that on a lake or the river? Minnesota?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Doubtful there will be a Minnesota opener. At least before June.
Yep; there is no way you can keep social distancing. Catch a fish, flash your net and it's all over.
you will have a multitude of boats within your 6' personal inner circle.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Since my opener personally won't be until May, I'll be running spoons off dipseys and boards/Tadpoles for walleye, trout, and salmon all at once, depending on where the marks are on sonar.