Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is side imaging a must for finding eyes? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Non-responsive, the OP is from Milwaukee. Got your post count up, though.

We use SI on Erie all the time, it tells us several things. If there are schools to the left or right. If there are fish suspended in the water below or to the side. If the school we were on is no longer there.

Different of course, if you drift about hoping for a bite.
I'm confused. Are you saying that I'm non-responsive? Not sure what me being from Milwaukee has to do with anything. I'm still new to walleye fishing so I've found when learning, it's best to listen and learn. If we were talking bass fishing, I could talk your ear off. This is clearly a topic that many have different points of view on so I'm just shutting up and learning what I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry, Sh0ckwave, not you at all. You asked a very reasonable question and started an interesting thread. We have a poster here that thinks what he owns, is the best and only stuff worth owning, how he does stuff is the best and the only way worth doing, and that what he thinks is the only way worth thinking. He loves to stir the pot, derail threads into fights and then politicize them when his opinions are shown to be suspect at best so they get nuked.

If you're a bass guy you should be all over side scan. Finding smallmouth packs as they hunt over flats is a lot of fun. Especially when they're breaking up a day of learning the walleye game. And seeing them is no different than seeing walleye. Most of the good walleye fisheries in Michigan are great smallmouth fisheries. Likely the same in Wisconsin, yes? And most of the methods that get you 'eyes will get you bronze backs, too. In fact, a lot of "bass" methods like ned rigs, spinner baits, jerk baits, drop shots and tubes catch a lot of walleye. The trick with 'eyes and small mouth (as you know) is finding them. They love to roam around. If you're already on board with finding smallies you're halfway there to catching 'eyes.

Check out which lakes have good populations of both and learn the easy way, while you're catching fish you're used to. You'll have to adjust some on hooksets and keeping them pinned, walleye have harder mouths, but you'll dial it in pretty quick.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckwave View Post
I'm confused. This is clearly a topic that many have different points of view on so I'm just shutting up and learning what I can.
Thank you for the topic and the questions. Like I said this my third seasons, so I am looking forward to using and learning more about the SI.

Good luck in your research, and be open to share what you learn!
Lowrance Hook2 5 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Sorry, Sh0ckwave, not you at all. You asked a very reasonable question and started an interesting thread. We have a poster here that thinks what he owns, is the best and only stuff worth owning, how he does stuff is the best and the only way worth doing, and that what he thinks is the only way worth thinking. He loves to stir the pot, derail threads into fights and then politicize them when his opinions are shown to be suspect at best so they get nuked.

If you're a bass guy you should be all over side scan. Finding smallmouth packs as they hunt over flats is a lot of fun. Especially when they're breaking up a day of learning the walleye game. And seeing them is no different than seeing walleye. Most of the good walleye fisheries in Michigan are great smallmouth fisheries. Likely the same in Wisconsin, yes? And most of the methods that get you 'eyes will get you bronze backs, too. In fact, a lot of "bass" methods like ned rigs, spinner baits, jerk baits, drop shots and tubes catch a lot of walleye. The trick with 'eyes and small mouth (as you know) is finding them. They love to roam around. If you're already on board with finding smallies you're halfway there to catching 'eyes.

Check out which lakes have good populations of both and learn the easy way, while you're catching fish you're used to. You'll have to adjust some on hooksets and keeping them pinned, walleye have harder mouths, but you'll dial it in pretty quick.
Ok cool. I know walleye anglers have been finding and catching them forever without side scan, but as someone who's new to walleyes, that's a lot of what I see, especially on Youtube. The question stems from a lot of the Tom Boley videos that I watch. I have already learned SO MUCH watching his videos (btw, he's put out a walleye seminar over the last couple days that I liked a lot), but his methods definitely lean on a lot of side scan usage. I'm eager to learn all that I can so I appreciate the many different views on how people find eyes.

Kzoofisher, you got me pumped as soon as you mentioned the words "NED RIG"!!! I was literally just having a conversation a week ago about why I don't see anyone using it to target walleye. I would think people would be slaying eyes with that rig!! You're exactly right about WI walleye fisheries being excellent smallie fisheries as well. Especially up in the Sturgeon Bay/Green Bay areas, they really go hand in hand. I was lucky enough to experience the walleye spawn in Sturgeon Bay a few years ago. That was absolutely AMAZING! Night trolling and catching 28-30 inch eyes faster than I ever thought we could was truly eye opening. It really hit home for me because I use jerkbaits heavily throughout the spring for bass so I was able to tie those onto trolling setups and be successful. I honestly think that's where my curiosity towards walleye began. Now that I'm in a position where I can go after them on my own, in my own boat, I just want to learn all I can and get out there and try it!
Old 04-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Wallhanger

Don't think I'm mean for doing this to you a few weeks before opener.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...hlight=ned+rig

Last edited by kzoofisher; 04-04-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

sho,
Actually, I use a mirror to find eyes pretty well.

Be safe
Old 04-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

If you look really closely at a mirror you'll see it's made of eyes. Truth.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Don't think I mean for doing this to you a few weeks before opener.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...hlight=ned+rig
You're killin me!! Lol!!! I've actually never caught a walleye while fishing the ned rig but I'm gonna give it a shot for sure on the opener!!

The ned rig is my go-to setup when I'm taking someone who is new to fishing and just want to catch fish. It never lets me down! If I had to take only two setups on the water for bass, it'd be a ned rig and a finesse jig in Green pumpkin or black and blue for sure.
Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 80lb Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckwave View Post
You're killin me!! Lol!!! I've actually never caught a walleye while fishing the ned rig but I'm gonna give it a shot for sure on the opener!!

The ned rig is my go-to setup when I'm taking someone who is new to fishing and just want to catch fish. It never lets me down! If I had to take only two setups on the water for bass, it'd be a ned rig and a finesse jig in Green pumpkin or black and blue for sure.
The guys a FAKE n doesn’t even own a boat n I got that from a very good source.

He likes to talk talk down to the the rest of us while he fishes for trout.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 04-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
The guys a FAKE n doesn’t even own a boat n I got that from a very good source.

He likes to talk talk down to the the rest of us while he fishes for trout.
What a strange and sad person you are. And apparently your "friend", too.

Don't worry about the thread getting a little sidetracked Sh0ckwave. Some people just can't abide the thought that they might not know or be everything.