Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anybody fishing Kamooki SmartFish? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anybody fishing Kamooki SmartFish?

I'm intrigued by the Canadian-made Kamooki SmartFish (https://kamooki.ca/). Anybody using them? If so, I'd love to hear about it: the fish you go after, the SmartFish sizes, colors and presentations you use... and the results!

Tried searching here and elsewhere for reports on them but didn't find much that wasn't just advertising. Maybe because they're still relatively new and scarcely available in the U.S.? I did see that one or two people here at WC posted things like "Don't waste your money," but they didn't say what they were basing that on, and if it's just price, I happened to come across a bunch being sold at a pretty good discount (so I should act fast if I'm going to buy any).

Hoping to hear from you if you have experience with them!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

I should probably clarify that I'm talking about open water fishing, not ice. -G
Old 04-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

Never saw them before today. Interesting design. I can see that price point making it hard to break into the market. They should give some to low level tournament guys who don't have a lot of sponsors or youtubers who aren't sponsored by the big companies. Create a little buzz. If you pick some up let us know how they do. I would be willing to spend more on that style if they caught fish and didn't snag so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

Just another bait.

Remember the Flying Lure catches fish also.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
... I would be willing to spend more on that style if they caught fish and didn't snag so much.
That's what intrigues me, the possibility that the SmartFish won't snag so much. On that first point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Just another bait.

Remember the Flying Lure catches fish also.
Never used a Flying Lure, nor even heard of it until you mentioned it, TMg. Then upon Googling it found that Outdoor Life had it high on a list of the "10 Worst Fishing Lures of All Time" they put out a few years ago (https://www.outdoorlife.com/10-worst...ures-all-time/).

I get your point that anything can catch a fish. Learned it firsthand as a small boy, in fact, when I made an extremely crude lure by painting a smallish piece of a Popsicle stick with glittery gold model paint and then gluing a hook to it (had to put a small split-shot right in front of the hook to keep the thing from floating on its side); it was ugly as sin but actually caught a couple of fish before falling apart and getting thrown in the trash.

But lots of people have caught lots of fish over lots of years with various rattling blade baits, which is essentially what the SmartFish is. They've just always seemed too prone to hanging up on underwater obstacles for my tastes, hence my interest in the SmartFish and its possibly more snag-free design.

Hopefully I'll yet hear from some people with actual experience with them, but even if not I suppose I'll buy a handful and see how they do. Won't cost me much. And though I don't recommend anyone holding their breath until I've gotten a chance to try them out, after I've done so I'll try to remember to revive this thread with an update on their performance.

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 04-05-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Nice, Kamooki SmartFish is a cool looking bait, the action reminds me of those Rapala weedless shads that never seemed to catch momentum here in the U.S.

Flying lure were awesome. I was in college fishing central Illinois lakes catching a good amount of bass on normal baits in the main 3 or 4 lakes I fished. These lakes had undercut banks lined with reeds on shore. I would wade about 50ft off shore and cast back at the reeds, I doubled my catches with flying lures as they seemed to seek out bass under those banks. They were perfect for that situational and decent lures otherwise.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

I've fished with them a bit. The guy that invented them and makes them is local to me. (Super good guy by the way.)

I've had some success with them in the same situations where I'd fish a shiver minnow, jigging rap, or a lipless rattle bait/crank. Like any new bait, I think there's a learning curve, and to be honest, I haven't put in enough time with them to really evaluate them or get to the point I feel like I'm using them correctly and confidently. I've seen the inventor/owner absolutely crush all kinds of different species in all kinds of different places with them, so I have no doubt they work in the right hands. I do know guys that swear by them for walleye fishing when the conditions/bite is right.

Waxy
Old 04-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I've fished with them a bit. The guy that invented them and makes them is local to me. (Super good guy by the way.)

I've had some success with them in the same situations where I'd fish a shiver minnow, jigging rap, or a lipless rattle bait/crank. Like any new bait, I think there's a learning curve, and to be honest, I haven't put in enough time with them to really evaluate them or get to the point I feel like I'm using them correctly and confidently. I've seen the inventor/owner absolutely crush all kinds of different species in all kinds of different places with them, so I have no doubt they work in the right hands. I do know guys that swear by them for walleye fishing when the conditions/bite is right.

Waxy
Thanks for chiming in, Waxy! Think you could ask those guys who swear by them what they feel those conditions are, and whether there are particular presentations/sizes/colors they especially like to use then? At this point I'm decided that I'm going to give them a good try of my own in any event, but I'm never one to turn away from useful advice!

Gerry
Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Thanks for chiming in, Waxy! Think you could ask those guys who swear by them what they feel those conditions are, and whether there are particular presentations/sizes/colors they especially like to use then? At this point I'm decided that I'm going to give them a good try of my own in any event, but I'm never one to turn away from useful advice!

Gerry
Iíll see what I can find out. Problem is, I wonít actually be seeing any of these guys any time soon...

Waxy